PDA

View Full Version : Welcome

Admin
5th June 2003, 06:29 PM
Just a quick line to say welcome to the new GAGB forum.

We hope that this forum will prove useful to all members of the GAGB by providing them with a method of giving us feedback and information.

Forums will be added when we have some feedback from our members about what they want.

Let's all hope for some positive things for geocaching in the future.

We are pretty sure that things will have to be tweaked and trimmed up as we go along, so please bear with us while we get this all settled down.

The most important thing is of course, visiting places one would probably never have even known about had it not been for the hunt for a hidden box and the participation of those who hid that box.

So let's keep it friendly and constructive. B)

Paul G0TLG
6th June 2003, 08:25 PM
Looking forward to the friendly chat that's going to happen here :) :)

So...who else is here?

Paul G0TLG

Short fat bald bloke from Southampton

Team Tate
6th June 2003, 10:52 PM
Well, I'm here! :D
Waiting for things to happen! ;)
Sarah xx

The Bennett Family
7th June 2003, 12:05 AM
We're here too... :blink:

DerekReed
7th June 2003, 01:52 AM
Yeehah!!

After 3 abortive attempts, I made it just in time to celebrate my birthday (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/index.php?act=calendar).

GAGB rocks...

Can't wait until it actually gets to where the founders hope it would get to be. :D

marinor
7th June 2003, 06:07 AM
Glad to be here, thanks for setting things up :D

dodgydaved
7th June 2003, 11:04 AM
dodgydaved has got here, moree by good luck than good judgement I think, and wish GAGB and all cachers the best of life.

Dave :D

DerekReed
7th June 2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by dodgydaved@Jun 7 2003, 10:04 AM
dodgydaved has got here, more by good luck than good judgement I think, and wish GAGB and all cachers the best of life.

Dave :D
With 200 caches under the belt, we can only assume you knew how to input the URL for GAGB, and turned up with ease. :)

Now all I have to do is find out how to activate my avatar, and find out why I can't see user profiles... :P

The Northumbrian
7th June 2003, 01:52 PM
The Northumbrian is watching the screen :blink:
ps Like the smileys

Daisy&me
7th June 2003, 07:13 PM
Hello from Daisy and me.

What's this smily for mean? :ph34r:

Tim and June
7th June 2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Daisy&me@Jun 7 2003, 06:13 PM
Hello from Daisy and me.

What's this smily for mean? :ph34r:

Hello Daisy & Me, nice to see you here.

Most of them are fairly obvious, but that one !

Looks like a smiley wearing a balaclava.

Wonder if it's something to do with the SAS :D :D :D

is this guy drunk ? :blink:

The Bennett Family
8th June 2003, 01:08 PM
:ph34r:

Surely It's Omally in his helmet...... :D

The Northumbrian
8th June 2003, 04:53 PM
And Nige has only had one today, Barrel that is :blink:

Paul G0TLG
8th June 2003, 09:39 PM
:ph34r: looks like Kenny from South Park!

Paul G0TLG
Sunburned, tired, muddy and happy :D

Bill D (wwh)
8th June 2003, 10:01 PM
Just saying hello. Yes, I like the smileys too! :) :D :ph34r:

fiddo
8th June 2003, 11:32 PM
:D hi also

John Stead
10th June 2003, 02:10 PM
Hi to all from me too. Sorry this would have been here sooner but I've been away, partly caching, so hope I'm excused. Now another forum to keep an eye on! But to me this one IS important. ;)

plaid-dragon
10th June 2003, 06:26 PM
I'm here too; what with this and the GC.com fora, I will be lucky to get :any: work done! :rolleyes:

DerekReed
10th June 2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by plaid-dragon@Jun 10 2003, 05:26 PM
I'm here too; what with this and the GC.com fora, I will be lucky to get :any: work done! :rolleyes:
I've completely stopped trying to get any work done already. :o

Just hope my boss and wife don't notice. :P

Rangers of Ithilien
20th June 2003, 11:48 PM
Well, the Rangers managed to find their way through the woods to the forum! Hello everyone :P

The Targett Family
23rd June 2003, 12:31 AM
Hi there we are here too.

Thnx for setting things up, looking forward to seeing it's delelopement.

minstrelcat
23rd June 2003, 11:58 AM
Just thought I'd say hi too. Don't post too often in the various geocaching fora but read them regularly.

Regards,
Lisa

dogastus
30th June 2003, 10:39 PM
I've just signed up and thought I would say 'hi'.

Best wishes from Newbury, Berks

Nigel.

The Scout
1st July 2003, 11:52 PM
Hi from Newport, South Wales

Baz

Omally
6th July 2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by The Bennett Family@Jun 8 2003, 12:08 PM
:ph34r:

Surely It's Omally in his helmet...... :D
Could be... trouble is, you can't see the idiot grin on me phizz!

G Force
7th July 2003, 08:20 PM
Hello, we just registered and it's great to be here. looking forward to a summer of geocaching.
Happy hunting everyone.

The Geisslers

DerekReed
23rd July 2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by G Force@Jul 7 2003, 07:20 PM
Hello, we just registered and it's great to be here. looking forward to a summer of geocaching.
Happy hunting everyone.

The Geisslers
Hello, and welcome aboard. B)

It was good to meet you at the HCC bash. Hope you enjoyed yourselves, and the journey back up wasn't too bad.

Derek

Friendly Flyer
23rd August 2003, 03:36 PM
Finally got around to joining all you fine folks. :)

Gavotteers
25th August 2003, 04:19 PM
Here we are better late than never

rickburt
1st September 2003, 11:33 AM
We have recently signed up to the forum, well is there much going on here ?

Hello from Romsey, Hampshire.

Rick & Trish

Sparticus
14th September 2003, 03:08 PM
:rolleyes: Just had to reset my account before I could rejoin the forum page. We're here now and must say Hi to all the fantastic people we have met on our searches :D :D

Deego
12th November 2003, 09:20 PM
Just saying hello and can anybody tell me why I cant veiw the members section???? all i get is :-

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature.
If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below.

I am logged in so what have I done? :huh: :D

Brian

Paul G0TLG
12th November 2003, 10:32 PM
The "Members" section gives a list of members, it isn't a section for members to use.

Back in the very early days of this forum, the moderators promised that information on who's a member wouldn't be made public, hence why this section is not available to members to view.

Paul
(not a mod here, but a mod of another IPB board so I know how they work!)

NetV
16th November 2003, 03:07 PM
Hi - I'm new to this exciting sport - Just thought I'd say hello :D

paul.blitz
16th November 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by NetV@Nov 16 2003, 03:07 PM
Hi - I'm new to this exciting sport - Just thought I'd say hello :D
Well hi there, and welcome!

I hope you have plenty of spare time..... coz it's now gonna get all used up caching!!! Don't expect to lead a "normal" life any more!

And you will find your whole outlook on life will change.... as you walk through some woods, no more will you say "oh, look at the nice flowers". No, instead it will be: "hey, look, a big rotten tree stump, just the sort of place to hide a cache!"

I'm sure you, like the rest of us, will be having many hours of fun!

Paul Blitz

Sheards
6th January 2004, 09:12 AM
Hi,

A newbie to caching (Found 2 so far). Not the best time of year to start I guess. Looking forward to many more in the warmer weather.

paul.blitz
9th January 2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Sheards@Jan 6 2004, 09:12 AM
Hi,

A newbie to caching (Found 2 so far). Not the best time of year to start I guess. Looking forward to many more in the warmer weather.
Welcome to the sport!

Whilst hunting caches in winter does tend to be wetter & more miserable, at least it DOES make you get out and get some excersise when you might otherwise prefer not to.

It also means that when it rains on summer caching trips, you don't feel QUITE as bad, as you will remember how bad it REALLY was "back in the winter"!!!!

There is a cachers meet coming up at the end of the month, in Winchester: I hope you can joins us there!

Paul

Bifter
10th January 2004, 10:55 PM
I'd like to say hello too!!! and the smilies are cool but no avatars?????? keep up the good work guys.......Bifter.

Bill D (wwh)
10th January 2004, 11:09 PM
Hi Bifter, and welcome to GAGB. I think the reason avatars can't be used is that this site is hosted on someone's business server, and they need to keep traffic down to save bandwidth for its main purpose.

polar69
20th February 2004, 02:41 PM
Well I dont know if this is the best place but.......

Hi ! Stumbled across Geocaching via a military site , found my 1st two yesterday

I take it this site is a sister site for the US geocaching website ?

seifer
20th February 2004, 03:10 PM
Hi and welcome, you'll soon be hooked!

This site isn't a sister site, all the caches are listed on the main us site (geocaching.com). This is an organistaion forn UK geocachers who's aims are to attempt to get permission for geocaching from UK landowners, actively promoting the sport etc.

Seifer

kernow krawlers
27th February 2004, 12:21 PM
Hi there, we are new too (about 1 month) and having a lot of fun so far :) :) :)

It looks like caching is going to be a huge sport. Looking forward to the future :D

NattyBooshka
27th February 2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by kernow krawlers@Feb 27 2004, 12:21 PM
Hi there, we are new too (about 1 month) and having a lot of fun so far :) :) :)

It looks like caching is going to be a huge sport. Looking forward to the future :D
Welcome to the madness!

peterr
23rd April 2004, 11:10 AM
[FONT=Times]Hi everyone. Discovered geocaching and my first cache - the importance of being ernest by nattybooshka - a month ago.

Great fun. Looking forward to finding more and meeting more friendly people.

pigboy306
7th May 2004, 09:10 PM
Hello to all waiting for my GPS to arrive so I partner and my 7 month old can get into this interesting pursuit

GrahamSmith
19th May 2004, 02:50 PM
HI, all.

Just got into this, and somewhat amazed to find that someone has cached on my own stamping ground around Hopwood, Rochdale. Will be out there looking tonight with a bit of luck!
Be back to let you know how I'm going on.
Byeeeee!

Graham
(Original grumpy old man even before they got on telly)

Ullium
20th July 2004, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone ;)
I've just joined and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you :D

I'm from Glasgow...are there any other members from Scotland?

Ullium.

The J J Noodle Fan Club
17th August 2004, 12:22 PM
I've just been trying to change our name from jjnfc to "The J J Noodle Fan Club" wot we use on gc.com and found I can't do it!

In the process however I've spotted that it's exactly a year since we registered on this board and we haven't posted once in all that time so this post is to rectify that :D

BTW: Without posting how do you tell if you're a voting member or not?

Bill D (wwh)
17th August 2004, 11:26 PM
jjnfc, we're looking at this, but so far it seems as if there's no way to change a user name. Watch this space.

- -
Bill, posting on behalf of the committee

Bill D (wwh)
17th August 2004, 11:54 PM
jjnfc, it was staring me in the face and I missed it! (Thanks, Teasel!)

I've now changed your user name as requested. In the meantime you'd set up a new account in the new name. I've deleted that account. It's better to keep your old account as that way your forum posts and preferences are preserved.

Sorry to take so long about it!

- -
Bill, posting on behalf of the committee

The J J Noodle Fan Club
18th August 2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks Bill - that'll stop me getting confused as to what moniker is used on which site. Now all I've got to do is get it changed on geocacheuk and on all 3 sites we will have the same name!

What exactly are the rules for whether you are a "Member" or a "Member (non voting)"?

Jon.

Bill D (wwh)
18th August 2004, 03:18 PM
Jon:

There's been a lot of debate about what should constitute a 'voting member' - you'll find much of it here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=360) and here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=362).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the situation at the moment is that a new member cannot vote for a certain period after joining (or until after the first vote after they join?). The reason is to endeavour to prevent a flood of multiple duplicate sign-ups prior to a vote with the purpose of falsifying the vote.

So at the moment anyway, once you're listed as a 'Member' you are a voting member and will remain so unless there were ever a consensus to change the rule.

Gadgettyke
24th September 2004, 03:20 PM
Hi ALL

I've just started with the geocaching (Haven't found one on my own yet) But think it's a real hoot.

I look forward to chatting to you as the time goes by.

Gadgettyke

cachehoppers
13th January 2005, 10:39 PM
Hi to all from The Cache Hoppers, Berkshire - there are six of us, Mum :P Dad :unsure: Lauren :D Luke :ph34r: Joshua :blink: and Megan :huh:

Macca
14th February 2005, 10:30 PM
Hi to all from the L.L. cachers, :P TOM, :o MATT, :D MACCA, :ph34r: BATTSO

arvensis
2nd March 2005, 03:35 PM
Hi also from me here in Eastleigh, Hampshire- haven't got a GPSr yet but will be rectifying that in the next couple of months.

Mark

simmo961
13th May 2005, 09:31 AM
Hello,

new family here from Halifax (mum, dad and ben). Went for our first find last night and are well and truly hooked. Must go now, many more to find.

Bill D (wwh)
13th May 2005, 06:26 PM
Welcome to geocaching, simmo961! I'm afraid you might find it's addictive!

If you need any advice or assistance feel free to post in the forums and I'm sure someone will try to help you. Happy caching!

Richie_EB4
25th May 2005, 04:13 PM
Hi all

Im a complete newbie to this so any help and advice you can give me will be greatly recieved........looks and sounds like so much fun i just had to have a go.
I have yet to work out how to use my GPS but im working on it.

Cheers

steviep
26th May 2005, 12:46 PM
been in the sport over a year now & only just discovered this site?
thanks to john & carols web site page, I will look around with interest!

jan
1st June 2005, 03:31 PM
Hi I've just bought a Garmin (should be here tomorrow!) and I'm looking forward to Geocaching in the North East

Firecrest
10th July 2005, 10:58 AM
Just dropped by to say a big hi from a new member. Hope to do my very first cache today !! :unsure:

Frodo 13
30th August 2005, 04:02 PM
Just joined, I will be travelling to GB in a few months so I wanted to get in some research on caches a "Yank" might enjoy. Flying in to London and will train north with the wife to Scotland, East coast near N55d 57' 09.65" W 3d 11' 28.26".

This will be my sixth or seventh visit, I can't remember, but my first attempt at Geocaching. Looking forward to it.

dk_the_magician
8th September 2005, 02:35 PM
Very new only got my GPS etrex legend today, out of the box and looking to do some searching this weekend.

Hi to everyone in Milton Keynes.

Darren

The Sheriff
16th September 2005, 09:16 PM
Greetings all.
Joined the Forum a while ago, but for some reason I was unable to post.
Been doing this for a while now and always look for nearby caches when I'm off out for the day with family or work.

Pling
3rd October 2005, 04:42 PM
Hi all I am new to Geocaching just joined the GAGB and popped on to say hello. Did 3 very good caches yesterday in the Thetford Norfolk area. Thoroughly enjoying the game and looking forward to meeting other cachers!

CrazyL200
7th December 2005, 12:38 PM
Hi, not long signed up to this forum, looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Currently using an Ipaq 5550 loaded with TomTom5 and Memorymap - combination works well.

Cpl Craig
8th February 2006, 10:05 PM
Just registered so thought I'd better say hello. Been caching on and off for a few years now - usually with Air Cadets or Scouts in tow. Based in the NE and have just started to get some long awaited caches hidden as well as have a bit of fun trying to find yours! :D

Cpl Craig & Friends

jimblonduk
14th February 2006, 09:59 AM
Hi, just joined and have been caching for a whole day, borrowed a Legend and found my first cache yesterday. AM TOTALLY HOOKED !!!

Hi to anyone in the midlands and Tamworth in particular :)

Wot No!
10th March 2006, 05:57 PM
I started a week ago and went in to double figures today, I am hooked. Hope to see other cachers out in the sussex area.

Wot No! :D

The Carey Crew
18th March 2006, 09:02 PM
:rolleyes: Hello from Dorset..............

Look out The Carey Crew are about!

Dad,son and two totally crazy terriers--------you won't be able to miss us :D

bhodisatva
14th May 2006, 01:13 AM
Thought i'd best get my hello post out of the way so....

Hiya :D

Edited to add: Just noticed when i posted this i've been a member since February, shocking that it's takin me so long to say hello really, please accept my apologies.

Alice Band
13th June 2006, 05:59 PM
Just to add to the hello's, just joined :D

Mongoose39uk
20th June 2006, 12:24 AM
Welcome marika

ROFLMHO
20th June 2006, 09:12 AM
I'm sulking in the corner of the garden, eating worms, no one welcomed me!
(Head hung low in a submissive manner)

Bill D (wwh)
20th June 2006, 12:01 PM
ROFLMHO wrote:
Welcome to GAGB!!! You can come back inside now and leave the worms alone...! :D

ROFLMHO
20th June 2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh)@Jun 20 2006, 11:01 AM

ROFLMHO wrote:
Welcome to GAGB!!! You can come back inside now and leave the worms alone...! :D
Can I bring the centipede in with me, I could share him with you all, we could all have a leg each. :lol: :lol:

nobbynobbs
20th June 2006, 09:33 PM
centipedes repeat on me.... i'll stick with my own picnic thanks.

welcome....

Rebble
16th July 2006, 11:03 PM
Am I too late to get a welcome didn't realise. Joined in May

:lol:

nobbynobbs
17th July 2006, 06:36 AM
never too late...welcome to the addiction!! :lol:

ROFLMHO
17th July 2006, 08:42 AM
A little late...but welcome!

Rebble
19th July 2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ROFLMHO@Jul 17 2006, 07:42 AM
A little late...but welcome!
Why I thank you ROFLMAO :lol:

Fester
19th August 2006, 02:37 PM
Hi

I'm new here and I hope to start my Geocaching journey very soon
:D

Robert

Rebble
19th August 2006, 09:23 PM
Howdy and G'day Fester :D

nobbynobbs
19th August 2006, 09:28 PM
the more the merrier!!! :D

GEE-GEE
2nd September 2006, 11:25 PM
Hi GEE-GEE from Cannock in STAFORDSHIRE i have only just registerd This smilie is definately KENNY??? :ph34r:

ROFLMHO
3rd September 2006, 10:03 AM
Remember...have fun safetly!

Welcome!

mono
5th September 2006, 04:50 PM
:unsure: anyone from merseyside able to show us the ropes?
mono

nobbynobbs
6th September 2006, 05:51 AM
can't help but have you posted in the uk section of the https://www.geocaching.com/ forum?

bwblackett
7th October 2006, 09:22 PM
Hello to GAGB, been a member of GC for about 3 months now (as the Jones') but have only just found GAGB.....

Any other members in the Blackpool area, or anyone coming up to see the lights? I'm in the middle of setting up a series of cache's from which you can see the Tower. Tower View Bookmark List (https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=c33e293d-4e92-40e5-a745-ec325337501b)

Regards

nobbynobbs
8th October 2006, 04:58 AM
not been up to blackpool for years, bit of a drive from the south coast. and i'm not over keen on whippets and pigeons!!! ;) :lol: well that's what you all have isn't it?? :lol: :lol:

tongue very firmly in cheek ;)

Roving Rangies
8th October 2006, 09:10 AM
Oh and the kiss me quick hats of course! :lol:

bwblackett
8th October 2006, 04:29 PM
Can't get moved for whippets wearing kiss me quick hats !!!!

But on the upside we only have to pay £1.35 for a pint of beer!

nobbynobbs
8th October 2006, 09:20 PM
how many spare bedrooms you got? the car's packed and ready!!!!! :lol:

cacherelle
22nd March 2007, 04:44 PM
Hellooooo a geocaching newbie here, been on geocaching.com a little bit.................nobbynobbs has made me sign up here too, twisted my arm and everything he did! :P ;)

Bill D (wwh)
22nd March 2007, 07:04 PM
Welcome to geocaching, and to GAGB! I dare say Matt will be along to say hello before long, probably at four in the morning...! :P :lol:

nobbynobbs
22nd March 2007, 09:08 PM
not quite, 9pm!!! see another victim to the slaughter!! :lol:

good to see you here, far more friendly than that other place and far less formal. B)

Mrs Blorenge
22nd March 2007, 09:44 PM
Hello cacherelle :)

Welcome, come in, put your feet up...
we're "mostly harmless".

cacherelle
22nd March 2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh)@Mar 22 2007, 07:04 PM
Welcome to geocaching, and to GAGB! I dare say Matt will be along to say hello before long, probably at four in the morning...! :P :lol:

Thanks Bill D, if only you had a 'thanks' button on this forum! ;)

cacherelle
22nd March 2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Mar 22 2007, 09:08 PM
not quite, 9pm!!! see another victim to the slaughter!! :lol:

good to see you here, far more friendly than that other place and far less formal. B)
Victim to the slaughter eh??? How do you know you haven't invited the wolf in??? :P :P :P

I guess the other site has become informal as it's grown? I'm a member of a couple of other forums, one has grown beyond imagination, and become far more PC aware/formal than it ever was! The other is one a couple of us started up, it's much smaller, very active......................and by god extremely informal!

cacherelle
22nd March 2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Blorenge@Mar 22 2007, 09:44 PM
Hello cacherelle :)

Welcome, come in, put your feet up...
we're "mostly harmless".
Hey thanks Mrs Blorenge, don't worry I'm used to much sterner stuff than I've seen on here ;) You all seem dead nice, which is cool B)

LOL sorry for posting 3 seperate times, not bumping up the post count - honest! I've got really used to a multi-quote button and out of practice :unsure:

nobbynobbs
23rd March 2007, 04:42 AM
the more the merrier, and post as many times as you want. there's no rules on that.

heck there's no real rules at all. :P

somehow i don't picture you as a wolf!!!! :lol:

cacherelle
23rd March 2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Mar 23 2007, 04:42 AM

somehow i don't picture you as a wolf!!!! :lol:
Ohhhhhhhh right.........ermmm I don&#39;t think I wanna KNOW what you picture me as&#33;&#33; <_<

No rules you say........................................... Muh ha ha :D ;)

Alice Band
24th March 2007, 02:20 PM
Its OK, Nobby is just the bar staff around here ;) :D

Welcome to the forums :) We are mostly a quiet bunch, you wont hear much of us at all. Quiet as mice, us.....*cough*

nobbynobbs
24th March 2007, 09:40 PM
that&#39;s me , happy to stand polishing glasses and listening to your troubles. just picture me in cocktail&#33;&#33; somehow doesn&#39;t work does it B)

cacherelle
24th March 2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Alice Band@Mar 24 2007, 02:20 PM
Its OK, Nobby is just the bar staff around here ;) :D

Welcome to the forums :) We are mostly a quiet bunch, you wont hear much of us at all. Quiet as mice, us.....*cough*
LOL thanks for the welcome, he&#39;s a bit slow at serving isn&#39;t he...................been here a couple of days now and STILL waiting for a drink ;)

nobbynobbs
25th March 2007, 06:12 AM
hey wait your turn&#33; and no id no drinks&#33; :lol: are you sure you&#39;re old enough to be at the bar? :rolleyes:

can it be helped that i work better at sstupid o&#39;clock... you&#39;d get served that much quicker if you wanted a drink about now... :)

cacherelle
25th March 2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Mar 25 2007, 05:12 AM
hey wait your turn&#33; and no id no drinks&#33; :lol: are you sure you&#39;re old enough to be at the bar? :rolleyes:

can it be helped that i work better at sstupid o&#39;clock... you&#39;d get served that much quicker if you wanted a drink about now... :)
Firstly, I&#39;m probably older than the bar itself :P

Secondly, didn&#39;t you realise the clocks changed, you didn&#39;t have to up so obscenely early&#33; :lol: :P :P :P

Alice Band
25th March 2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Mar 24 2007, 09:40 PM
just picture me in cocktail&#33;&#33;
:blink: :o :D

An alternative image of Deeta von Teese springs to mind, but a scarier version...

keehotee
26th March 2007, 07:25 PM
QUOTE (nobbynobbs @ Mar 24 2007, 09:40 PM)

just picture me in cocktail&#33;&#33;

Sorry Matt - I know I promised I&#39;d never tell - but your saturday night outfit just wouldn&#39;t stay under wraps.......
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/keehotee/nobby.jpg

nobbynobbs
26th March 2007, 08:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :blink:

BelcherClan
22nd April 2008, 09:14 PM
[SIZE=7] :D Hello, just thought drop by, im a newbie to caching, just brought a Zybstar gps and still learning how to use it LOL :wacko:

nobbynobbs
22nd April 2008, 10:11 PM
glad to have you as part of the addiction. :D

Andy33
26th April 2008, 07:55 AM
Just a line to say hello. Have tried to sign up for these forums in the past but the registration process never seemed to work….Well now I’m in :D

Andy

Chaotica_UK
26th April 2008, 12:01 PM
Just thought I would post a quick Hello to everybody. Im a recent defector from the &#39;other&#39; less friendy forum. I re-registered under Chaotica_UK before I realised I had actually previously registered under Chaotica, so if anybody has the power to delete my "Chaotica" profile that would be great, I wont be using it again.

Thanks
Mark :)

moote01
26th April 2008, 02:20 PM
Well it is about 2 years since I frequented here; many will know me, the newer members might worry about my post, but I&#39;m sure that the GAGB committee will be their usual high standard selves and tell me if I&#39;m a bad lad ;)

studlyone
26th April 2008, 03:41 PM
<<< Waves at everyone over here on the GAGB forums. Now where&#39;s the bar. :beer:

Admin
26th April 2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Chaotica_UK@Apr 26 2008, 11:01 AM
Just thought I would post a quick Hello to everybody. Im a recent defector from the &#39;other&#39; less friendy forum. I re-registered under Chaotica_UK before I realised I had actually previously registered under Chaotica, so if anybody has the power to delete my "Chaotica" profile that would be great, I wont be using it again.

Thanks
Your wish is our command ;)

Chaotica_UK
26th April 2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Admin+Apr 26 2008, 03:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Admin @ Apr 26 2008, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chaotica_UK@Apr 26 2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks
Your wish is our command ;) [/b][/quote]
Thanks very much&#33; :halo:

nobbynobbs
27th April 2008, 06:20 AM
The bar? What ?Can&#39;t you hear the noise?

:cheers: :beer: :popcorn:

Good to see you all. :D

JLAM-D
29th April 2008, 12:19 PM
Good morning,

New to your forum.....We are a Canadian military family and it looks like we will be posted to the UK for 4 years, sometime this summer.

Looks like we will be looking for a place in Huntingdon. Any cachers in that neck of the woods?

Cheers,

JLAM-D
Jeff, Louise, Alexander, Maeghan and Don

Tiger-Eyes
29th April 2008, 03:18 PM
I don&#39;t personaly know any cachers in Huntingdon but you can always pop into the east anglian cachers forum (http://z4.invisionfree.com/East_Anglian_Cachers/index.php?act=idx) as I know there are a few from cambridgeshire in there

JLAM-D
29th April 2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Tiger&#045;Eyes@Apr 29 2008, 02:18 PM
I don&#39;t personaly know any cachers in Huntingdon but you can always pop into the east anglian cachers forum (http://z4.invisionfree.com/East_Anglian_Cachers/index.php?act=idx) as I know there are a few from cambridgeshire in there
Thanks for the link.....

Will check things out.

Cheers,

Jeff

JLAM-D
29th April 2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by JLAM&#045;D+Apr 29 2008, 02:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JLAM&#045;D &#064; Apr 29 2008, 02:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tiger&#045;Eyes@Apr 29 2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the link.....

Will check things out.

Cheers,

Jeff [/b][/quote]
Can&#39;t post just yet....account not validated.

Thanks again for the link.

Cheers,

Jeff

Olmeca
7th May 2008, 11:48 PM
This is just a hello and a show of support to all those who have stood up for the UK way of living.

Lets all meet at the Red Lion Pub. You choose which of the over 900 you want to meet in. I'm sure they will thank us for the advertisement! :)

Summer is here so hopefully we'll be doing more geocaching then being inside complaining about idiotic unnecessary changes to a game we enjoy.

Richie_EB4
1st June 2008, 07:28 AM
Well im back.......had a few family problems but things are on the up......dusted off the gps and im off again.:applause:

Its good to be back

nobbynobbs
1st June 2008, 09:21 AM
great to have you back :)

Rendulina
12th June 2008, 12:26 AM
Hi all, I am completely new here but cant wait to start :D Does anyone of you know about some caches in the North East of England???

Renda :cool:

molfrew-mosstoad
12th June 2008, 06:56 AM
Hi all, I am completely new here but cant wait to start :D Does anyone of you know about some caches in the North East of England???

Hello & welcome to the forum. Pull up a keyboard and make yourself at home. Im sure someone form the NE will be a long shortly with some suggestions.

Richie_EB4
12th June 2008, 07:09 AM

Me.....i live here ;).......what is your location ?

Brenin Tegeingl
12th June 2008, 09:40 AM
You can do a search for caches on GC by Post Code :eek: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Just enter your full post code in the by Zip Code search box, and it will return a list of the nearest caches from that Post Code :applause: ordered by distance, nearest first :D

Rendulina
12th June 2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for nice welcome and for the website, I will check it out ;)

Oh by the way Richie EB4 I am from Newcastle and will be here at least till September as it is when I finish my uni (finally :D ). Where are you based?

Richie_EB4
12th June 2008, 04:29 PM
Im in redcar......just down the coast.

Watford Wobble
16th July 2008, 01:40 PM
Still fumbling my way around and geo world and stumbled across the GAGB forum so signed up.

I may break into double figures this weekend:cheers:

Tiger-Eyes
16th July 2008, 04:31 PM
Welcome Watford Wobble pull up a chair, enjoy the beer :cheers: and chill :socool:

HarvardTaylor
21st July 2008, 08:45 PM
Can't believe I'm approaching my 200 and have onlyjust discovered the forum. I'll probably bimble around here for a while!

nobbynobbs
22nd July 2008, 06:25 AM
Feel free, that's what we're here for :)

Fianccetto
6th February 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi, I can't see a 'hello newby alert' thread anywhere, so I hope here will do! Greetings from the very snowy Forest of Dean. Hi to everybody.

We're a family who are completely new to geocaching, so please be gentle! We've got the makings of a cache but have no idea where to hide it yet, and our GPS is in the post. Looking forward to looking for local geocaches as soon as we get it, and going from there. :)

Oh, and a big thank you to everyone who has added info to the site, negotiated with landowners and done other legwork on behalf of geocaching. All much appreciated, looks like a mammoth task!

Mrs Blorenge
6th February 2009, 04:19 PM
Hello Fianccetto, welcome :)

We (The Blorenges) are not that far away from you - we're near Chepstow. I hope you'll enjoy your geocaching experiences. There's an event coming up in Yate soon which you might be interested in:

"Faces to names" event. (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6ae809cb-1dd4-469a-b845-faf443f10ec3)

nobbynobbs
6th February 2009, 05:12 PM
good to have you here, feel free to ask for any help you need, some one will know the answer! :)

jacobite
6th February 2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Fianccetto, Welcome to the forum, and the hobby.
If there's anything you need to know, just ask, we'll be happy to help.
It's always refreshing to hear someone say "thank you" (one hundred brownie points for you) :)

Fianccetto
10th February 2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks Mrs. Blorenge, Col. Nobby Nobbs and jacobite for the welcome.

Great that there's some local cachers here, thanks for the heads up on the Yate event, can't make it unfortunately, but will hopefully meet up some time in the not too distant future!

Still haven't got our GPS, partly due to it taking so long to get here and partly due to me then changing my mind about what to get! I do have a question or two but will see if the info is on here already first. ;)

I think we're going to like geocaching a lot.

Brownie points, hmmm... can they be cached? :D

mousey1403
11th February 2009, 03:12 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm Kevin, I live in Ayrshire, Scotland.

I've been into caching since April of last year. I mainly stick to the Scottish forums, but after a topic arose regarding the GAGB I decided i's stick my head in for a look

Mrs Blorenge
11th February 2009, 03:37 PM
Hey everyone!

I've been into caching since April of last year. I mainly stick to the Scottish forums, but after a topic arose regarding the GAGB I decided i's stick my head in for a look

Hi Kevin, welcome :)

We let in folks from north of the border, west of the other border, random Europeans and even those from further afield :D

Fianccetto
11th February 2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Mousey,

I've only been here a few days more than you, but welcome from me too! :D

Bill D (wwh)
11th February 2009, 06:43 PM
Hey everyone!

Hi Kevin

I saw you register, and wondered if you were the same Mousey from those Scottish forums. Welcome to GAGB, and as Mrs B says, all are welcome here. Pull up a chair, put your feet in the hearth, n have a good read! :)

mousey1403
12th February 2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Kevin

I saw you register, and wondered if you were the same Mousey from those Scottish forums. Welcome to GAGB, and as Mrs B says, all are welcome here. Pull up a chair, put your feet in the hearth, n have a good read! :)

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

It was actually your post that prompted me to sign up Bill, you came across as a really nice guy. I decided that was enough to warrant a visit.

:)

jacobite
12th February 2009, 07:55 PM

It was actually your post that prompted me to sign up Bill, you came across as a really nice guy. I decided that was enough to warrant a visit.

:)

And here's me thinking it was my post that done it ;)
Welcome Kev, glad you popped in to say hello.

Bill D (wwh)
12th February 2009, 08:24 PM

:):cheers: :socool:

mousey1403
14th February 2009, 08:51 AM
And here's me thinking it was my post that done it ;)
Welcome Kev, glad you popped in to say hello.

Awwww, I think you're great too :D

Eliska
2nd March 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to say hello. Just moved down to Bracknell and can't wait to start geocashing around here :applause:

Mrs Blorenge
2nd March 2009, 10:31 PM
Hello Eliska - Welcome :)

ragnost
6th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Just wanted to say Hi just signed up and intending to buy a GPS unit asap I'm up in the Newcastle upon Tyne area:)
Malcolm

Bear and Ragged
6th March 2009, 10:32 PM
Just wanted to say Hi just signed up and intending to buy a GPS unit asap I'm up in the Newcastle upon Tyne area:)
Malcolm

Welcome!

jjim30
8th March 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi all, jjim here i,m a newbie have not got a gps yet but will soon looking forward to some gentle exercise:lol:

Bill D (wwh)
8th March 2009, 09:39 PM
Hi jjim and welcome to geocaching! :)

Aw, you're not going to go for the mountain-top ones then? :D

jjim30
8th March 2009, 09:49 PM
Ive seen the day but now its rapidly approaching night, easy terrain for me
with a handy pub!:cheers:

Bill D (wwh)
8th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Ive seen the day but now its rapidly approaching night, easy terrain for me
with a handy pub!:cheers:
Likewise! :) :cheers:

DruidsDream
23rd March 2009, 10:21 PM
Thank you, we're new to GAGB, we look forward to all that is available.

DrDick&Vick
23rd March 2009, 10:27 PM
Thank you, we're new to GAGB, we look forward to all that is available.
And a good choice to become members of the GAGB.
A lot of useful information available.

Family_Moose
29th April 2009, 08:24 AM
I suppose it is about time that we said hello.

New to Geocaching but have had a GPS for some time...just never used it for this.

We love the hunt, and Noodle Moose loves the 'treasure chests' (she is only 3!!!)

gazooks
29th April 2009, 08:30 AM
:socool::applause: Welcome to the forum :applause::socool::beer:

Mrs Blorenge
29th April 2009, 10:21 AM
Welcome Mooses :)

Bill D (wwh)
29th April 2009, 10:47 AM
Welcome to caching, Family_Moose! :)

I see you've already got some finds under your belt, including one I've done myself, Cardiff Parks 3: Victoria Park, so you've probably met my namesake, Billy the Seal, lol...! :)

Family_Moose
29th April 2009, 04:08 PM
Oh yes indeed.

Mother in Law is from Cardiff, so we decided to do a few caches each visit.
Mummy Moose used to practically live her childhood in Victoria Park.

Bill D (wwh)
29th April 2009, 05:33 PM
Oh yes indeed.

Mother in Law is from Cardiff, so we decided to do a few caches each visit.
Mummy Moose used to practically live her childhood in Victoria Park.
Ah, right! My niece and her family live two minutes walk from there, and I've often taken Max, their Staffy, round the park. In fact, when I did that one I realised where the cache was going to be from twenty feet away, but Max got there first and quite literally sniffed it out! :)

celestria
9th June 2009, 08:16 PM
Hello

I/we are very new to geocaching, was only introduced to it at the weekend by friends from an online dog rescue forum.

Was amazed to learn how many caches there are very close to us, one less than 300ft from the front doorstep! Penny dropped on that tricky little one earlier today and I ran over to sign and have now logged it as my second find.

With two dogs to walk and three kids to entertain on those walks, I can see geocaching being a bit of a lifesaver. Hoping the kids will have loads of fun helping to find them whilst we get to take the dogs out and about on new more interesting walks.

The two we've found so far have been of the smaller variety but any hints or tips on stash to swap/leave in the bigger boxes as and when we find them would be much appreciated because my lot think Maccy D's trash is treasure :wacko:

Mrs Blorenge
9th June 2009, 10:07 PM
Welcome Celestria

Some things that are commonly used for swaps in caches -
Keyrings, small bouncy balls, foreign coins, hair bands etc, toy cars, badges, coloured pencils/erasers...

More adult items - small nail brush, packet of elastic bands, plastic battery cases, small packets of WetWipe tissues... I think most adult cachers probably don't bother with swaps very much.

Someone has given us a box of interesting shells (foreign ones), each one is 2" - 3" in size, so they'll end up in caches somewhere.

Remember that cache owners appreciate it if you "trade up, or even". :)

The Geocaching Guidelines say
"People of all ages hide and seek caches, so think carefully before placing an item into a cache. Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws.
Food items are always a bad idea. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache."

I hope you all have fun as you get into this new hobby. :socool:

Bill D (wwh)
10th June 2009, 12:03 AM
Welcome to caching, celestria!

I think Mrs B's covered things very well regarding trade items.

If you've got a local Poundland or Pound Shop or something similar you might find that a good place to get items. And if you're lucky enough to have a Hawkin's Bazaar nearby that'd be a great source for trade items for children.

Happy caching!

The Family Bu
12th June 2009, 06:09 PM
Just joined the forums - have been caching since Feb 2009 and are addicted. Thought I'd pop in to say hello and I look forward to posting in the future. Hugs Mumma Bu :applause:

nobbynobbs
13th June 2009, 06:28 AM
hi, hope that you keep coming. :cheers:

Jester
24th June 2009, 11:04 PM
I am so new to geocaching that I haven't done any yet....:o

I've just got a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS and am hoping to get started soon. Trouble is, it all looks so difficult...

I downloaded some local geocaches, but when I view them I just don't know where to start.

Any advice as to where to go to learn more about how all this works (and how my GPS works I guess?!), would be much appreciated.

I only have the basic maps pre-loaded to the GPS so I understand I need to get hold of some better ones? Ideally I'd like maps that cover my part of the country (Norfolk), but the only ones I can find are the Garmin Discoverer ones and they seem to be just National parks etc.

My apologies for asking what must be very basic questions, but I am a complete novice to all this so any help would really be appreciated.

Bear and Ragged
24th June 2009, 11:12 PM
I am so new to geocaching that I haven't done any yet....:o

I've just got a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS and am hoping to get started soon. Trouble is, it all looks so difficult...

I downloaded some local geocaches, but when I view them I just don't know where to start.

Any advice as to where to go to learn more about how all this works (and how my GPS works I guess?!), would be much appreciated.

I only have the basic maps pre-loaded to the GPS so I understand I need to get hold of some better ones? Ideally I'd like maps that cover my part of the country (Norfolk), but the only ones I can find are the Garmin Discoverer ones and they seem to be just National parks etc.

My apologies for asking what must be very basic questions, but I am a complete novice to all this so any help would really be appreciated.

Welcome!
Start of by using a paper map, print off the streetmap one, that the cache page links to -that will show you the public paths.
(Also means you have a piece of paper, to make any notes on, with you!)

Jester
24th June 2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I bought the GPS to use for this!

I would really prefer to do that, rather than use a paper map.

nobbynobbs
25th June 2009, 09:03 PM
pick the caches near to you that are basic, ie traditional and rated 1* 1*

they will be easier to find and easy terrain. plus go for a normal not micro container as again it will get you used to finding them.

then really it's only a matter of getting to the parking spot and turning on the gps and selecting the waypoint ie the cache and goto function. follow the arrow and watch the numbers go down until you get within 10m.
then walk much slower looking around you. just because your gps says it is at a certain spot doesn't mean that the placers gps did and they can differ by a few metres.
if all else fails read the clue.

i've no idea how much the maps are for that unit or whether they are any good. hopefully someone will post soon.

also watch out for an event cache near you soon. go to it and chat, you'll be able to get some hands on help there. :)

Jester
28th June 2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks Nobby - that's more like it! :)

I was surprised at how many there are locally.
Will see how many (if any...) I can find and wait for some info to appear regards maps.

Cheers.

Jester
28th June 2009, 04:49 PM
Today I found my first ever cache - and my second!! :D

I'm hooked!

nobbynobbs
28th June 2009, 07:21 PM
congrats. there's no escape now without therapy or the threat of divorce :)

arnoldnathan
9th July 2009, 06:44 AM
Hello everyone.....
Just wanted to introduce myself... Just found your forum and it seems really interesting.I am Arnold Nathan and i am doing MBA with finance.

Baddesley Bodgers
17th July 2009, 11:33 AM
Ok folks, i have lurked in the shadows long enough that i feel i should introduce myself.

I am old dartmoor letterboxer living in North Warwickshire, though i am currently working in hengelo, holland until the end of July. The first letterbox found on the 14th July 1987.

I only started geocaching since march but i have known about it a while, and wandered the forums as a guest for a couple of years.
caching has already taken me to places near where i live that i never knew about.

Thats about it, and hello everyone.

nobbynobbs
18th July 2009, 07:41 AM
glad to have you here :)

Mrs Blorenge
18th July 2009, 10:00 AM
Welcome to you new folks :)

welshcm
3rd January 2010, 10:55 PM
Hi, I am new to geocaching. I have found 4 caches so far in my local area. Really enjoying my new hobby for 2010. Happy new year everyone!

Bill D (wwh)
3rd January 2010, 11:12 PM
Hi, I am new to geocaching. I have found 4 caches so far in my local area. Really enjoying my new hobby for 2010. Happy new year everyone!

Welcome to caching and to GAGB, and Happy New Year to you as well...! If you've got any questions just ask, and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Mrs Blorenge
4th January 2010, 11:46 AM
Hello - glad you're enjoying it so far :)

(I'm over in SE Wales)

nobbynobbs
4th January 2010, 07:04 PM
you must be barking :) from the wonderful new forest :cheers:

The_Street_Searchers
16th February 2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Everyone

Chris from Brighton here - I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to get an account.

Got around ~350 caches under my belt so a relitive newbie compared to a lot of you

nobbynobbs
16th February 2010, 10:25 PM
We'll be gentle with you LOL 350 is a respectable number. be proud :) LOL

DrDick&Vick
16th February 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi Everyone

Chris from Brighton here - I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to get an account.

Got around ~350 caches under my belt so a relitive newbie compared to a lot of you

Welcome the GAGB and to the forum. Being over in West Sussex it shouldn't take you long to increase your finds. Do a few of Flatcoat Walker's series or maybe the SWOF series by BHA Loyal and that find total will rocket. We intend to be back in the Horsham area in Oct/Nov so may bump into you at one of the Sussex Cachers meetings, if you attend any say hi to Della71, Flatcoat Walker (Jean), BHA Loyal (Rich) and Redirected Male (Mik) for me.

Fianccetto
16th February 2010, 10:50 PM
That's ten times as many as us,and we've been caching a year now. Just getting our first hide ready.

The_Street_Searchers
17th February 2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks Guys - I have done a couple of the FW series and am about 2/3rds of the way through SWOF which has really helped with the numbers....not that its all about the numbers!

Although it is at the moment as my little brother (He is 21) is catching up with my find count - I have taken to picking up 1 or 2 in my lunch break to keep my nose in front!

YOMPY
17th February 2010, 05:01 PM
Hi, I’m a new premium Geocaching member and I don’t seem able to either register or log on to the Groundspeak Forums. I have tried my Geocaching user Name and Password but it just keeps telling to log in or register?? Looking forward to participating in the GRAB forums.
Help and Thanks

Graculus
17th February 2010, 05:57 PM
Hi YOMPER!
Have a look at the forum knowledge base (http://support.groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=31). I did notice that there is another user with the same name as you but one is in lower case and the other in uppercase. Don't know if that is causing the problem. If you still can't get in then send an email to contact@geocaching.com and ask them to have a look.

Chris (MrB)

YOMPY
17th February 2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks I'll have a look.

Regards

YOMPY
22nd February 2010, 09:23 PM
Dear Chris (MrB), Thanks for the help they have changed my user name to YOMPY.
Regards

Palujia
26th March 2010, 06:05 PM
Hi, just joined and am new to the game. Am mulling over which GPS to get as the Navigon Satnav I bought don't seem to like 6 figure co-ordinates !! Have not started to search yet - going on Hols next week to Telford Area (High Onn) and am printing off locations of caches in the area to look for with paper maps - Looks like a great forum and am slowly reading my way through all the threads
cheers - palujia

DrDick&Vick
7th May 2010, 08:42 PM
As the new section is now active it would be nice if neww Forum Users/Supporters and GAGB Members posted a short introduction, in the main section instead of adding to this thread.