PDA

View Full Version : Bike Mounts for GPS

Rebble
7th August 2007, 07:17 PM
Having decided to get my trusty aluminium steed out once more I considered mounting the eTrex to the handlebars.

Firstly

1. Are bike mounts any good (mountain biking only) :huh:

2. Is the Garmin one the only one? :dunno:

3. What's the chances of the whole kit, caboodle and etrex falling off and ending up
smashed to bits on rocks, cow pats etc.

With deepest anticipation...

Alice Band
8th August 2007, 12:09 AM
I use an adjustable mobile phone car mount and hold it onto my handlebars with one of those silicone wrist bands. Then its a matter of easily sliding the GPS (eTrex in my case) out when needed. The adjustable padded holder grips it quite tightly when going over bumpy woodland paths and its ten times cheaper than a proper Garmin one. I tried a friends Magellan in it and it fits too. Its just as good as the Garmin one and I originally rigged it up as a 'make do' till I got the Garmin version. So far I haven't needed to replace it and as yet it hasnt fallen off... :unsure:

Mine cost all of £1. Bargain! :D :D You should find what you need from one of those £1 shops. Silicone band from your favourite charity :)

Rebble
8th August 2007, 07:45 PM
Cool idea! By the way Alice are you really 100? :lol:

nobbynobbs
9th August 2007, 06:56 AM
she's active for her age isn't she :lol:

i use a garmin bike mount for my map 60c and i've no complaints.

Rebble
9th August 2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Aug 9 2007, 05:56 AM
she's active for her age isn't she :lol:

i use a garmin bike mount for my map 60c and i've no complaints.
I'll mooch about and see if I can't jury rig one out of a phone mount.

Hang on I'm rich! sod it I'll go and buy a Garmin. :lol:

nobbynobbs
9th August 2007, 09:55 PM
mine's a pint of ringwood best :D :beer:

Alice Band
10th August 2007, 12:41 AM
Sadly I'm poor unemployed scum and no, I don't get any benefits either :( so I make do. I'm soon to be even poorer post-graduate student scum :rolleyes: :D so mine's a pint of Hopback Summer Lightning!

:cheers:

oh, and my age is *whisper whisper* thirty-something :ph34r:

Rebble
10th August 2007, 07:35 PM
Ring Wood? Best whats that? Some kind of alcofrolic beverage?

Alice I was unemployed scum once :socool:

Now I am merely employed scum :socool:

Everyone the drinks are on me :cheers: :socool: :cheers: and the crips(!?) :popcorn: :beer: :beer: :cheers: :beer:

:wacko:

nobbynobbs
11th August 2007, 05:27 AM
my only question being: time/place??? or see you at my bash in a few weeks :lol: :beer:

keehotee
11th August 2007, 06:56 PM
The Geko and the Etrex share the same mount I believe.
I've been over the handlebars more times than I can shake a stick at, and had the bike follow me halfway down a Welsh mountain side a couple of times too.
The bike mount itself is fine - and the GPS is fine (it's a Geko) - but one of the little locating lugs on the adaptor plate has finally gone the way of all things that break and fall off, and has broken and fallen off - after 3+ years of fairly vigorous abuse.

KathyXB
12th August 2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Rebble@Aug 10 2007, 07:35 PM
Ring Wood? Best whats that?
ooh rebble needs some essential education! Next time you down sarf make sure you look for it on the pumps...

:lol: :cool:

Rebble
16th August 2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by KathyXB+Aug 12 2007, 01:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KathyXB &#064; Aug 12 2007, 01:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rebble@Aug 10 2007, 07:35 PM
Ring Wood? Best whats that?
ooh rebble needs some essential education&#33; Next time you down sarf make sure you look for it on the pumps...

:lol: :cool: [/b][/quote]
Oh I see&#33; It must be a kind of shandy if you Southerners are drinking it :P :lol: :lol: :beer:

Tho I never heard of Shandy on tap :socool: :cheers:

nobbynobbs
19th August 2007, 05:17 AM
from the land of the chemical sludge that produced the likes of tetley and newcastle brown..... ie north of watford. (really north of winchester)

:lol: :beer:

Rebble
20th August 2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Aug 19 2007, 04:17 AM
from the land of the chemical sludge that produced the likes of tetley and newcastle brown..... ie north of watford. (really north of winchester)

:lol: :beer:
Hahaha damn right everyone knows Flowers Bitter is the best :beer:

nobbynobbs
21st August 2007, 06:56 AM
nearly right.

Swift one by Bowman Ales. small brewery down this way owned by a cacher. lovely. :cheers: :beer:

Alice Band
22nd August 2007, 09:38 PM
Two weeks ago I went to an event which had a Hopback/Wychwood Breweries beertent.

The Summer Lightning naturally had to be sampled again and again and again *hic* :cheers: :beer: :beer: :beer: :halo:

nobbynobbs
24th August 2007, 04:58 PM
where was my invite? &#33;&#33;&#33;

still not as good as bowman ales :) :beer:

Alice Band
24th August 2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Aug 24 2007, 03:58 PM
where was my invite? &#33;&#33;&#33;
I think Northamptonshire is still a long way from the New Forest for a pint of beer&#33; :D :D

I think this calls for a new poll on the forum&#33; Favourite beers... :beer: :cheers:

Titusaduxas
8th December 2007, 01:34 AM
Hi

Ram mounts are excellent, rock solid and will not let go of the PDA no matter how rough the going gets, armoured casings are also available which are waterproof but are expensive so I just bob a plastic bag over :D and just take the risk of coming off the bike though it does force me to be a little more carefull and less reckless. The pics may be of interest to you showing my setup which is hard wired. The PDA runs memory map and the reciever is velcro fixed and all run fron a home made power supply which powers the reciever and PDA, I have not managed yet to flatten the batteries and have used it for 12 hours non stop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Pikey100/GPS/DSCF5759.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Pikey100/GPS/DSCF5758.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Pikey100/GPS/DSCF5754.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Pikey100/GPS/DSCF5756.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Pikey100/GPS/DSCF5753.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Pikey100/GPS/DSCF5752.jpg

Bit of a late reply but hope this is of help

Titus

Alice Band
8th December 2007, 02:00 AM
:o

So what about rain or the vibration of the bike affecting the electronics? Any problems with that?

Right, back to pretending to do some work at Uni :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Titusaduxas
18th December 2007, 08:04 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner. PDA&#39;s I think do not like rain :D

I just cover it with a plastic bag. You can get waterproof casings but they are expensive. As for vibration that is not a problem, one of the benifts of solid state electronics I suppose. I have used it in all conditions and in real rough terrain and it has behaved better than I could have wished for and it is a real bonus knowing exactly where you are.

Titus