PDA

View Full Version : Letter Boxes

Maple Leaf
5th May 2008, 10:03 PM
I did post this on Saturday ... but was one of the threads that was lost when we were hacked.

Anyway, on Saturday whilst walking in our local woods we came across (what we assume was) a letter box. It appears to have been there a long time - small tupperware box with a handcarved (WHSmith) rubber which was a bit slimy and the bit of paper in the box was sodden (didn't look like there was any writing on it).

My questions are:
1) Is there anywhere to find out who 'owns' this? .. I found a list on the other forums and although another local letter box is on it (I will have to go and look for it now) this one isn't.
2) Should I clean up the stamp/box and replace the log book .... or is this frowned upon.

Thanks

nobbynobbs
5th May 2008, 10:11 PM
where about was it found?

i know some local boxers to me who might well visit here once in a while and they might have an idea who to contact.

studlyone
5th May 2008, 10:12 PM
It might bwe worth asking a question on the Dartmoor Letterboxing websites forum - the sport originated on dartmoor.

http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/info.htm

Someone there would probably be able to give you some advice about what to do in these circumstances, or indeed maybe able to point you in the direction of the owner.

Ian

Maple Leaf
5th May 2008, 11:33 PM
where about was it found?

i know some local boxers to me who might well visit here once in a while and they might have an idea who to contact.

Axbridge/Cheddar, Somerset

The stamp had a picture of a bird with the words 'Jackdaw'

nobbynobbs
6th May 2008, 05:51 AM
I will send the details to those boxers and see if they know anything :)

Maple Leaf
6th May 2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks

nobbynobbs
6th May 2008, 08:46 PM
watch this space they are trying to find out. :)

Maple Leaf
6th May 2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks again ... I may not be able to read the forums until the end of the week now, so don't be surprised if you don't hear anything from me for a few days

nobbynobbs
14th May 2008, 10:05 PM
they have been unable to figure out who to contact but suggest that it might be part of a multi letterbox, the easiest solution is just to replace it where you found it and hope that it is ok. sorry couldn't be more helpfull

:)

Maple Leaf
14th May 2008, 10:51 PM
Hi. Thanks for trying. I didn't move it so is as I found it although now slightly better covered. I was just wondering if I should try to clean up soggy box & rubber because don't think it is going to give a very good print at the moment

nobbynobbs
15th May 2008, 05:54 AM
Entirely up to you, the thing you have to consider is that it sounds like it has been abandoned or, at the very least, neglected. So is the effort and time worth it to fix possibly one stage of a multi?
You could try leaving a note in it asking for someone to contact you after they next find it, that way you'd be able to ask where it's listed.

:)