PDA

View Full Version : Geo-food

keehotee
28th May 2008, 01:35 PM
As this seems to have died a death I thought I'd kick it off again.

So - things to eat while caching - or things to eat that you collect while caching.......

Hedgehog spaghetti carbonara (serves four) :popcorn:
500g spaghetti, 30ml olive oil, 250g lean hedgehog, 1 medium onion (chopped), 125ml water, 60ml dry white wine, 4 eggs, 60ml double cream, 100g grated parmesan cheese · chop hedgehog into small chunks
· beat eggs and cream together in a bowl. Add half the parmesan cheese
· put pasta in boiling water
· put onions and hedgehog chunks in pan with olive oil on medium heat until onions are almost clear
· add wine and reduce heat
· drain pasta when cooked, combine it with egg, cream and cheese mix
· add meat, onions and wine without draining fat and mix thoroughly · garnish with remaining parmesan. Serve immediately

From this article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/31/foodanddrink.britishidentity

nobbynobbs
29th May 2008, 06:19 AM
Wild garlic is always very nice, bit past now but a spring freebie to smell out for!

But let's not forget the autumn favourite. Sloes :) a nice batch of sloe gin to get you through the darkest months.:beer:

gazooks
29th May 2008, 08:39 AM
Come August/September - the blackberries are always welcome on a long caching walk.:)

t.a.folk
29th May 2008, 09:48 AM
After the blackberries it's hazel nuts for me if squirrels don't live nearby and sweet chestnuts where the squirrels do live .

I ate a few juicy new hawthorn leaves in the spring ,used to call it bread and cheese wnen I was a young country child .

Mongoose39uk
29th May 2008, 10:11 AM
Last year, picked loads of Damsons, Bullases, Blackberries raspberries and Bilberries.

Always nice to fill the larder with jam and pie fillings.

All at cache sites as well.

Bill D (wwh)
29th May 2008, 01:13 PM
Elderberries, for the wine, which if well made is a deep red, strong, and delicious one, and earlier in the year elderflowers, for, well, the wine, lol... :cheers:

Izzy and the Lizard King
29th May 2008, 09:58 PM
Don't know if it's of interest to anyone but in the summer edition of the National Trust magazine they have announced a special offer on a new NT Books publication entitled Wild Food by Jane Eastoe ISBN 9781905400591 rrp £6-99
The book tells you how to find and cook wild produce from berries, herbs and nuts to seaweed, flowers and roots as well as containing many traditional recipes such as sloe gin, horseradish sauce and nettle soup.
The offer price is £4-99 plus free p&p. Call 0870 787 1613 and quote CH862. Offer ends 30th September 08. (We don't know what the call rate is for 0870 numbers - it might be worth checking before you order if you're interested)

Before you ask the answer is NO. Other than being National Trust members we have no financial interests in the organisation whatsoever.

Bill D (wwh)
29th May 2008, 10:25 PM
Izzy and the Lizard King wrote:
We don't know what the call rate is for 0870 numbersFrom BT landlines the daytime charge is a 6p connection fee and then 6p per minute. Cable operators are usually more expensive - e.g. Virgin has a 7p connection fee and then 10p per minute.

I'm with Virgin... :wacko:

fraggle69
3rd June 2008, 11:21 PM
shroooms man - what else would you possibly want to eat?

munch munch

Bear and Ragged
6th June 2008, 04:51 PM
Traditional way to eat hedgehog is baked in clay.

Wrap hedgehog in clay, place in fire (or oven) and bake.
Smash off the clay, and he spikes come off as well.

Ten point nine
14th June 2008, 10:38 AM
Pigeon and other small game birds can be done in the same way. Feathers and skin come off together and the meat stays moist not being allowed to dry out. Added benefit there were not masses of feathers to try and hide/dispose of or give the game away.

Bill D (wwh)
14th June 2008, 01:59 PM
Ten point nine wrote:
...or give the game away.I love the pun, intended or not...! :D:D:D

Tiger-Eyes
21st June 2008, 08:50 AM
My own recipe for Pigeon pie

1 onion chopped
6 pigeon breast's sliced
2tbsp flour
1/4pt chick stock
1/4pt red wine + a glass for the cook
sliced mushrooms
seasoning

8oz shortcrust pastry

Fry the onion until soft then add pigeon and fry until browned
Add flour and cook for a couple of mins,
Add stock, wine and mushrooms and leave to simmer until fluid has reduced and is the consistency of thick gravy

Line a pie dish with half the pastry, add pigeon filling pop on a pastry lid and bake for 45 min 180C

The timings are approx and so are the measurements cos I rarely measure anything just bung it in till it looks right

Best enjoyed with homegrown cooked veg and more loely red wine