PDA

View Full Version : Sweet and Sour Sauce

The Cache Hoppers
19th September 2008, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know which shop sells a nice sweet and sour sauce? Something like the type that McD's give out with their grub. I used to be able to get one ... I think it was HP that did it. There are plenty of stir fry s&s sauces, and Amoy do a dipping sauce but its just not the same as being able to pour it from a bottle, like tomato ketchup, and dip your chips in it. :dunno: :)

T.R.a.M.P.
20th September 2008, 06:56 PM
We use the Homepride Cook-in-sauce, though how that would work as a dip I am not sure...:p

The Cache Hoppers
20th September 2008, 08:44 PM
It's got to be pourable, like Ketchup :-)

Mrs Blorenge
21st September 2008, 09:46 AM
I'll check at Somerfields next time I'm in there...

(Never had chips with S&S sauce)

The Cache Hoppers
21st September 2008, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately it's a bad case of something I picked up at McDonalds. :D

Izzy and the Lizard King
23rd September 2008, 10:08 PM
Recipe for an excellent S&S sauce (courtesy of Ken Hom):-

2 tablespoons ginger marmalade
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon hot water

Combine all the ingredients together ensuring they are mixed thoroughly.
Transfer to a jar or bottle with a tight fitting cap and store in the refrigerator until needed.

Paul

The Cache Hoppers
23rd September 2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you for that!! I will try it and let you know how it turns out. :)

Izzy and the Lizard King
24th September 2008, 01:54 AM

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs! :ohmy:

Next thing is...
You'll be telling us that you've never had a tomato sauce sandwich or Yorkshire pudding with your cup of tea :wacko:

Paul

Izzy and the Lizard King
24th September 2008, 01:58 AM
Thank you for that!! I will try it and let you know how it turns out. :)

Please do.
I've got another Ken Hom simple S&S sauce recipe which is terrific but it's intended more for stir-frying.

Paul

Mrs Blorenge
24th September 2008, 09:20 AM
Next thing is...
You'll be telling us that you've never had a tomato sauce sandwich or Yorkshire pudding with your cup of tea :wacko:
Paul

Errrrrrr...

Ummmm...

This may be true.

(Do you have to dunk the YP in the tea?)

I checked in Somerfields yesterday: Sorry, Liane, no bottled S&S sauce in there. :(

Izzy and the Lizard King
24th September 2008, 09:55 AM

Next thing is...

Errrrrrr...

Ummmm...

This may be true.

(Do you have to dunk the YP in the tea?)

You don't have to... but the traditional (Yorkshire) way to serve the plate-sized puds is as a starter (with gravy and veg) or as a dessert (with jam or ice cream). Of course Yorkshire folk will still eat them as an accompaniment to their roast which (although I adore Yorkshire pud) is, by far, more preferable to me :D

Paul

The Cache Hoppers
24th September 2008, 09:56 AM
The lure of discounted plastic boxes in Morrisons may also result in a sweet and sour find today/tomorrow. :D

Mrs Blorenge
24th September 2008, 12:58 PM
I like to fill those big YPs with oven-roasted vegs, then top it off with savoury mince. :D

Never tried them as a sweet option... Do you think they'd be good with S&S sauce? ;)

Izzy and the Lizard King
24th September 2008, 02:44 PM
Well if you look here
http://www.openwriting.com/archives/2006/05/yorkshire_puddi.php
the gentleman's mum certainly tried a variation on sweet & sour sauce :applause:

Paul

martybartfast
24th September 2008, 06:52 PM
Well if you look here
http://www.openwriting.com/archives/2006/05/yorkshire_puddi.php
the gentleman's mum certainly tried a variation on sweet & sour sauce :applause:

Paul

Well I always prefer them on their own with gravy, but we sometimes had them cold with Jam on. As for the sugar & malt vinegar that's for pancakes (which is more or less the same batter as Yorkshire Puds anyway).

The Cache Hoppers
24th September 2008, 06:54 PM
Oi! This is a thread about S&S sauce not Yorkie pudds!!!! Which incidentally are best with onion gravy :D

Rampton Broadmoore
8th October 2008, 02:07 PM
Try here:
http://www.britishsupermarketworldwide.com/acatalog/info_32009.html

I think that's what you are after!!

delco
13th November 2008, 01:32 AM
about the sweet and sour sauce thing, can anyone tell me where I can get jars of ken homs sweet and sour with passion fruit? only once have I ever seen it at lidl,s. I bought one and it was nearly identical to the one from the chinese takeaway that I have with the special fried rice.
Ive tried most major supermarkets with no luck, it,s the best I,ve ever tasted, wish I,d bought a dozen or so at the time.
:cheers:

spikegomez
5th January 2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah about the sweet and sour sauce... how to make it more tastier? i can't make my self satisfied with my sauce....