PDA

View Full Version : The Fox Hunt is back for 2003 (Southern Event)

Team Tate
23rd August 2003, 09:15 PM
Team Tate are pleased to announce they are arranging a Geocache Fox Hunt in the North Hampshire region!

The date is likely to be the 21/9/03, and will start and noon for a period of four hours.

As this is a social event, we would very much appreciate it if you could register your interest in order to find a suitable final venue for meeting up, with consderation to numbers of people, kids, animals, (OK T&J, BEARS), etc.

The cache page will be published shortly - we hope you can make it as much fun as it was before.

Team Tate
24th August 2003, 01:20 AM
The cache has been approved:

Cache Page (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=87844)

I hope this explains all you need to know.

Bob

Tim and June
26th August 2003, 06:55 AM
Reckon we'll be there.

But then again, I guess that goes without saying. It ends at a pub, therefore no question ! :lol:

T&J

westonwanderers
26th August 2003, 01:17 PM
Hi there....

I won't be able to make the Fox hunt comming up, ... I live too far away :(

There might be a way of getting the 'Foxes' location to 'hounds' much cheaper than SMS...

If you connected a mobile phone to a GPS via the serial ports, and had a J2ME application on the phone that transmitted the location/speed to a wap server every 20 seconds or so, then the wap server could serve wap details to the hounds wap compatable phone....

FOX -- > Wap Server -- > Hounds

Orange charge 4 pounds a month for all the wap access you want. The transmitting of location details from the fox, would be via WAP, and so be covered by this flat rate...ie No effective charge!

Hounds would be charged for the wap query of location details... This is usually much cheaper than SMS.... (and free if using the orange access pack as above).

To do this the fox would need:

1.. A J2ME Phone connected to the Orange network.
2.. GPS with NMDA out.

3a.. A comms lead to connect the phone to a PC.
3b.. A GPS serial lead to connect to a PC.
3c.. Time to splice the two leads together!!

4... A custom java program written to read from the GPS, and post to a wap site with the location details. (I could do this!)

5.. Someone with a website on the internet, and with the knowlege of writing custom scripts.... ('The Cat'/ Teasil are you there?)

6.. Time to organise things!!

A month is not enough time to do this now... Maybe next time....

Cheers.

Tony

TheCat
30th August 2003, 01:21 AM
The Geocache Children in Need Fox Hunt for this year has now been aproved and will be visiting all BBC TV and Radio stations in the UK between 14/11.03 to 21/11/03 CIN night. Teasel has been working on a system that will enable the fox to be tracked on the internet. The waypoint if you are intrested is GCGRGB. Please post a note if you are intrested in catching the fox it will help in the planning. Oh and we will also be visiting Northern Ireland this year.

The Cat

Paul G0TLG
30th August 2003, 02:06 PM
Count me in, Cat, subject to me being in the area when you are!

(Sorry Tates...I'd do yours too, but for another commitment that day)

Paul

MCL
1st September 2003, 02:20 AM
I'm interested in doing some hunting!

el10t
5th September 2003, 10:43 AM
I'd be interested in participating again too, Team Tate.

Team Tate
16th September 2003, 10:40 PM
The final co-ordinates are now published, so if you aren't able to catch us on the hunt, or just want to came along for the meet, then we'll see you at the pub! :D

Tim and June
22nd September 2003, 11:26 AM
Way to go Team Tate.

Brilliant day out, and loads of good company to go with it. We thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the technical issues. Our comliments on having the foresigt of setting up a failsafe in the event of trouble.

Reckon that if/when you are on the committee, you are the guys for the job of "Organising Events and Foxhunts". :lol:

paul.blitz
22nd September 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Tim and June@Sep 22 2003, 10:26 AM
Way to go Team Tate.

Brilliant day out, and loads of good company to go with it. We thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the technical issues. Our comliments on having the foresigt of setting up a failsafe in the event of trouble.

Reckon that if/when you are on the committee, you are the guys for the job of "Organising Events and Foxhunts". :lol:
Hey, I'm glad you all had a good day!!

I would have come along, but I was driving up to York on the afternoon... and as I type, I'm in a hotel in Glasgow, using a satellite internet connection (luckily the room faces SE!)

Never mind.... hope to do a couple of local caches tomorrow night! Maybe I'll take the PC & sat link along, and log them from site?

Paul

Pharisee
22nd September 2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by paul.blitz@Sep 22 2003, 07:25 PM
Never mind.... hope to do a couple of local caches tomorrow night! Maybe I'll take the PC & sat link along, and log them from site?

Do you recon you'll actually get it working 'in the field' this time then? :D :D