PDA

View Full Version : PDA - Paperless help

Team Cobra UK
22nd September 2008, 05:08 PM
I have just got an IPAQ 2790 (running windows mobile 5) and its running great with cachmate for paperless notes. However I have just been given a Socketcom GPS kit GPS rcvr and MyNavigator software.
The maps load of but even though I have done everything it says in the manual there is no way can i get the GPS position to appear on the pda even though the bluetooth device is visible.

I think it may have something to do with the inbound and outbbound COM ports used but thats as far as i can get.

Any help or idea would be greatfully rcvd.
Thanks

DrDick&Vick
20th November 2008, 08:20 PM
I use a PDA with a GPS unit but I use my Memory Map with it, sometimes it can be a slow job to get the GPS working and showing but I find that 'Making sure all software is stopped before plugin in the GPS unit' helps. Do you know which com port the GPS uses? Minne uses COM 2 but sometimes that doesnt appear and I have to do a soft reset to get it working.

esim
21st November 2008, 08:15 PM
I'm using BeeLine GPS wich is a nige little application that gives you practically all you need to turn your PDA into a GPS unit.

Can't give you a link to the site as I aparently haven't done 5 posts yet... But just google beelinegps and you'll find it. The apps is $30 but there is a 30 day trial so you can see if it's something for you. :socool:

Have fun.

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/
(Edited by Bill D (wwh) to add link)

Dark_Faerie
22nd November 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm using BeeLine GPS wich is a nige little application that gives you practically all you need to turn your PDA into a GPS unit.

Can't give you a link to the site as I aparently haven't done 5 posts yet... But just google beelinegps and you'll find it. The apps is $30 but there is a 30 day trial so you can see if it's something for you. :socool:

Have fun.

http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/
(Edited by Bill D (wwh) to add link)

I've been using this for over a year now and was the easiest to connect to my bluetooth GPS. The software still works fine after the 30 day trial, it just keeps reminding you the trial is up (only slightly annoying). I don't think you can use maps with it though. The icons on the map screen link to the cache listing if a .gpx file is used (great help).:applause:

I also use google maps, there were problems connecting to external GPS in the old version. Not sure if these have been resolved in the latest version as I've now upgraded to PDA phone with built in GPS.

molfrew-mosstoad
23rd November 2008, 02:38 PM
You could try as DrDick&Vic have already said as that was the first problem I had with getting my gps to work with mem map on my Ipaq it turned out to be com 7 for me I just tried each one in turn typically 7 was the last one lol.

The other thing I found with mine is that it had Tom Tom pre installed & if I opened MM before TT had shut down (& vice versa) it wouldnt let them share the same gps connnection.

worth a look :wacko: good luck