PDA

View Full Version : The Help for Heroes geocoin.

Mrs Blorenge
25th September 2008, 06:57 PM
I found the details of this new geocoin which is being created:
Help for Heroes geocoin. (http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/help4heroes.php)

The preview looks great!

I was wondering whether it's likely to be ready for sale by Remembrance Sunday?

Mrs Blorenge
25th September 2008, 07:55 PM
It's a project that started with my design for a Royal British Legion geocoin at the start of the year but they wouldn't let me do it. So I have decided to support H4H instead.
Ian

Yes, I remember the preliminary designs for the 'poppy' coin. I look forward to seeing this new one. :)

Gwendolyn
26th September 2008, 08:03 AM
If they are ready will take a couple to France for the Remberance Service on one of the battlefields.

dibbler
26th September 2008, 02:43 PM
Very nice coin and a great charity.
In August I had the pleasure of agreeing that the brass band I am vice-chairman of would help out at a garden party for the Help for Heroes charity. They party had been turned down by several bands and asked me while on another gig. The band was asked if they would give up a free Sunday and turn out to do a free concert. All the band agreed. The point is that most of the band are under 20 with a few older members and they all gave there time for free.
The party raised over £3000.
It was great to see the young cadets and the a couple of "old timers"
I will be ordering a couple.

Matrix
28th September 2008, 05:25 PM
Put me down for a couple :cool:

dibbler
29th September 2008, 08:48 PM
Dont worry about the date. I still want a couple.

Matrix
30th September 2008, 11:42 AM
Dont worry about the date. I still want a couple.

Same here :D

Matrix the ex REME Recce Mech :beer:

Matrix
30th September 2008, 07:39 PM
Apparantly if God was in the Army he'd be a Recce Mech.
REME here through and through :cheers: - "Arte et Party"

Oh Yeah baby :cheers:

studlyone
30th September 2008, 09:48 PM
I am sorry for having to delete my posts but someone has complained to the GAGB about the thread being commercial in nature and I have been asked to delete my posts.

I would just like to go on the record, saying that we are not profiteering from this geocoin, these posts or anything else to do with the GAGB. My initial reply on this thread was simply an answer to a question.

I appreciate the GAGBs position on this and their constitution, I have always been cautious about my replys here in case they be taken as commercial in nature. I am not trying to upset anyone here or elsewhere, but if I can help people I usually try to. Maybe I need to rethink that thought process.

For anyone interested, HERE (http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/H4HCoin.pdf) is a breakdown of the costs of this coin. We have had to put over £2,500 upfront to produce them and yes we will make that back and everything else will go to H4H. I am sorry if others on here cannot see things that way. I wish you good luck on your efforts to support a worthy charity.

This is a very expensive coin to mint due to its size, 3D finish and two metals. When I found out the die fees it almost took my breath away.

Anyway thank you to everyone who has made nice comments about the design and supports Help 4 Heroes. They are a great charity that is doing sterling work for our wounded servicemen and women. You can always visit their website and place donations directly with them.

Peace

Matrix
30th September 2008, 10:08 PM
I am stunned again :eek:

What is going on :mad:

studlyone
30th September 2008, 10:13 PM
I am stunned again :eek:

What is going on :mad:Nothing to get upset about. Someone complained and the GAGB has to protect its constitution and way of doing business. I was asked (very nicely I must add - thanks Bill) to edit my posts. I hold the GAGB in the highest regards and I would hate for this to start a 'rumpuss' - Note to self that's a cracking word, I must use Rumpuss in more posts :)

I hope everyone can keep the thread on topic and thats discussing the 'C' word that can be discussed on these forums (thankfully as opposed to you know where) - Charity.

Now where's that beer :beer:

Matrix
30th September 2008, 10:14 PM
Well I want 2 coins :beer:

Mongoose39uk
30th September 2008, 10:22 PM
A good coin and a good cause. I hope it does well.

I am sure the rest of the Committee do as well.

Having been the one who received the initial comment I was not sure about which way to go (it was a comment not a complaint).

I think after a bit of a discussion we have reached a good compromise and hope we can move forward.

Third-Degree-Witch
30th September 2008, 11:22 PM
I personally find it very sad that person(s) just had to bleat about such a worthy cause.

Team Cobra UK
1st October 2008, 08:57 PM
Count me in for two coins..... A great idea for a great charity, will also round up my order on the site.

http://www.cobradefence.co.uk/images/teamcobra.jpg

Maple Leaf
8th November 2008, 10:45 PM
I see tonight that the H4H geocoins are due into the country on Monday 10th - perfect timing for remembrance day.

See UK Geocachers website (http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/catalog/help-for-heroes-geocoin-p-951.html?osCsid=6422d062100ca2ffef57c6fee9b2d088) for more details and pre-ordering (they appear to be selling fast tonight)

Mrs Blorenge
8th November 2008, 11:00 PM
For those who expressed an interest in this H4H geocoin, I read that the coins are expected to be available from Monday (11th November - How appropriate :) ) and you can now place orders at UKgeocachers.co.uk (http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/catalog/help-for-heroes-geocoin-p-951.html?osCsid=f27284408d0e2eacc5a122e5c3aa81bd)

They're looking great in the illustration.

Croft House Cachers
9th November 2008, 12:09 AM
I'm happy to say that I have just ordered two and am a bit surprised they're not going faster. Has anyon mentioned them on the geocoin forum?

Mrs Blorenge
9th November 2008, 12:21 AM
I only got notification about them via the newsletter from the site this afternoon, so I think the word has only just gone out.
I expect the seller will put up some info on the GSP forum soon.

:)

Watford Wobble
10th November 2008, 09:32 AM
I've just ordered two and they look great. Looking at the specification they're certainly very large coins.

A great cause and I really hope they sell out soon.

studlyone
10th November 2008, 10:51 AM
I only got notification about them via the newsletter from the site this afternoon, so I think the word has only just gone out.

:)Don't think I can do that as its :ph34r: Charity :ph34r: related.

Matrix
10th November 2008, 04:08 PM
Ordered 2 the other day cant wait :D

Matrix
10th November 2008, 05:10 PM
Don't think I can do that as its :ph34r: Charity :ph34r: related.

Just put an advert on our forum :D

SinKing
11th November 2008, 11:20 AM
Having just watched an incredibly moving "Live at the Cenotaph", it seems only right to place an order for this coin.
Thanks to Mrs Blorenge for her post about them, and also to everyone associated with the Armed Forces for everything they do.

Maple Leaf
11th November 2008, 12:25 PM
Postman just been ... with a delivery :)

The coins are lovely (and huge and heavy) - thanks.

Also, perfect timing to arrive today (11/11), although the postie should have really arrived an hour earlier .... at 11am ;)

seacarrot
11th November 2008, 06:32 PM
Mine are on the way.

Also today i picked up to move on a Poppy Geo Coin out of my local cache, and when I got home my own Poppy Geo Coin had arrived from a seller in USA.

A moving day all round. :coffee:

Matrix
12th November 2008, 03:34 PM
My coins arrived today and by heck are they great well done Ian :applause:

Watford Wobble
12th November 2008, 03:50 PM
Ooohhhh, wonder if Mr. Postie has delivered mine yet

I'm sure the wife won't mind me buying more coins especially bearing in mind it's H4H.

Would like to have been at home when delivered and heard the thump as they fell through the letterbox.

seacarrot
12th November 2008, 08:09 PM
My too arrived today.
They are really nice, and heavy....wow.

Sadly the codes wont register, perhaps give it a few more days. :o

Watford Wobble
13th November 2008, 09:08 AM
Mine arrived yesterday and what a wonderful design. Will have to think of a suitable time and place to release.

garyhoney
14th November 2008, 01:35 AM
I managed to find one in a cache as a FTF prize, the cache was appropriately enough themed on the 90th anniversary of the armistice. Just a shame the activation code is not ready yet, I suppose they need time to type up those tracking numbers :) Still a nice coin and very weighty.

gazooks
14th November 2008, 09:10 AM
I managed to find one in a cache as a FTF prize, the cache was appropriately enough themed on the 90th anniversary of the armistice. Just a shame the activation code is not ready yet, I suppose they need time to type up those tracking numbers :) Still a nice coin and very weighty.

Glad to see other people having the same problem registering thier H4H coin .... I thought it was just me :D

Nice coin though - well done. :socool:

Matrix
14th November 2008, 03:35 PM
I had problems activating mine but I emailed Kathy who replied within minutes with the codes :applause:

scooby scrappy and mp
14th November 2008, 03:46 PM
kathy also sorted mine out superquick, fab coin i am really pleased.
:)

seacarrot
16th November 2008, 07:52 PM
Got my codes and released my first one today.
keeping the other for me. :socool:

gazooks
16th November 2008, 09:34 PM
got my code now from the site.:)

Maple Leaf
16th November 2008, 09:42 PM
I donated one of them as the 'star' prize in the Weston-super-Mega 2009 fund raising raffle held at a local event last night.

We showed it to everyone ... to make them dig deeper into their pockets and buy more tickets.

It was certainly popular - and was won by 'fuchsiamagic' :applause: .... sorry Wadders, but Keehotee thought you would prefer the 'fruit pastilles' :p

I also know that some people were going to be ordering one soon ...

Mrs Blorenge
17th November 2008, 01:24 PM

Don't think I can do that as its :ph34r: Charity :ph34r: related.

When I said "the GSP forum" I meant the GSP Geocoin Discussion forum. It has a completely different set of Guidelines from the regional forums:

GSP Geocoin Discussion Forum specific guidelines. (https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=&showtopic=120445&view=findpost&p=1978900)

As I understand it, you can put details of any Geocaching.com trackable geocoin on that forum. I have seen geocoins with charitable/political agendas on there. To be absolutely sure, you could email the Mod for that forum before putting up your Topic promoting the coin.

Note the final line in those Guidelines -
"The guidelines above are specific for the geocoin forum, threads mentioning charitable solicitations will not be allowed in any other forum without express permission from Groundspeak."

Fuchsiamagic
18th November 2008, 01:10 PM
Many thanks for donating that coin Jen, much appreciated. Also congratulations on spelling my alias correctly, most people seem to get it wrong! :socool:

studlyone
6th March 2009, 01:57 AM
I've just had someone get in touch with me to let me know that one of the H4H geocoins was for sale on e-bay and it went for £17.

I hope that the seller donated his hefty profit to Help For Heroes.

Family_Moose
15th May 2009, 03:35 PM
Got ours today, from the second release!

Going to release one...and keep the other to travel with the Family!

Now to think of a suitable 'mission' for the wild one....

Mrs Blorenge
22nd May 2009, 02:05 PM
I've just seen studlyone's post here (https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=&showtopic=149496&view=findpost&p=3943139), showing the presentation of the cheque for £1,060 to the Help 4 Heroes Charity.

An excellent sum raised so far - Well done! I hope the new minting of these coins continues to sell well and that the target £2000 will be reached this year.

:cheers:

sukisuix
7th September 2009, 01:33 PM
Will be placing my order later today. I think the design is great:)

sukisuix
9th September 2009, 03:48 PM
The coin arrived this morning. I didn't realise it was going to be so heavy. It is a lovely coin, the picture doesn't do it justice:socool:

alflavor
18th September 2009, 09:50 PM
Really pleased to have found one of these coins today in Mousehole, Cornwall!! It will get great care and will go on its travels again very quickly. What an amazing piece of work that's all I can say.