PDA

View Full Version : Open to All

Dave Gerrie
29th September 2008, 10:07 AM
First time I've done this, so apologies if it doesn't work or isn't the 'done thing'!

Note this applies to any event, and any required activity that doesn't limit the attendees on an arbitrary basis.

eg. camping at camping events, climbing mountains at Simply Paul events, taking part in fox hunts, or participating in a boat trip.

Alan White
29th September 2008, 12:01 PM
Not wanting to quibble, Dave, but I'm not sure I can answer the poll either way.

I don't see the question as being whether an event should allow an activity to be mandatory, but whether the event organiser should be able to place reasonable restrictions on the criteria which have to be fulfilled in order to be able to attend, and log as attended, the event; or whether an event can be organised at a venue which itself places restrictions on attendees.

For example, the venue may prohibit children. So under the current interpretation an event there can't be published (because some cachers are children). No activity involved there :)

Dave Gerrie
29th September 2008, 12:20 PM
i see what you mean, although those type of events are already commonly published anyway, and I assume no one wants even more restrictions imposed on events. As you say, children are already banned from some events, as are dogs, and these events have been published without quibble.

It seems that reasonable restrctions by the venue have been allowed for a long time, so its more whether the event owner can make reasonable restrictions, whether by nature of event or location of event.

Alan White
29th September 2008, 01:25 PM
those type of events are already commonly published anyway
It really does show up the foolishness of the current interpretation, doesn't it?

I'll vote as I interpret the question :D.

Edgemaster
30th September 2008, 10:50 PM
eg. camping at camping events, climbing mountains at Simply Paul events, taking part in fox hunts, or participating in a boat trip.
Yep to all, except a possible err at the camping ones. The "if I live next door to the campsite" argument... Primarily due to the slightly different nature of the event - the overnight stay being enforced.

keehotee
3rd October 2008, 07:03 PM
Yes. Definitely yes.
Even to the campsite next door argument.

You're all quite welcome to put a 5/5 cache on my doorstep if you want - I'm not going to insist on a 1/1 alternative because I live here........