PDA

View Full Version : GAGB Pub Chat - "The Snug"

Mrs Blorenge
16th October 2008, 10:04 AM
This topic is for all your "warm and fluffy" posts. Did something good happen recently? £10 on your Scratchcard? New baby? Bought some great new boots? Your cat had kittens? Maybe you just had a good day in general? Share it here in the Snug.

Have a cream stout and pull up a chair...

Mrs Blorenge
16th October 2008, 10:43 AM
Who knows who I was thinking about when I put "cream stout" in that first post? ;) ... If you can guess, you'll be showing your age :D

No small fluffy creatures here, we don't own any pets any more...

Maybe I'll go and buy a Scratch card today, then I can come back here and be all excited, or go and have a moan into my pint in the other topic.

keehotee
16th October 2008, 11:16 AM
Ohhhhhh :(
thought it said the SMUG, and was going to come in here and gloat about my own good news....

never mind :) ;)

Mongoose39uk
16th October 2008, 11:18 AM
Mongers puts a case of Adnams Broadside on the table.

Mrs Blorenge
16th October 2008, 11:27 AM
Ohhhhhh :(
thought it said the SMUG, and was going to come in here and gloat about my own good news....

never mind :) ;)

You can be smug in the snug if you want... have a hug!http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/eliza0012/smiley_hug.gif

keehotee
16th October 2008, 11:31 AM
Aww thanks MrsB :)

OK - I'm going to be smug in the snug....

.........I'm about to move to Bristol to live with *mouse* :) :) :)

Mrs Blorenge
16th October 2008, 11:46 AM
OK :D I expect *mouse* is 'warm and fluffy' so that post definitely fits in here...
Have an Adnams Broadside (whatever that is :confused: ) to celebrate!

*mouse*
16th October 2008, 12:16 PM
Been described as many things in my time Mrs B, but never as warm & fluffy! :eek::p:):)

And a Broadside would go down very well right now... a nice reminder of when I lived in Suffolk :beer: ....I'll pull up a chair

studlyone
16th October 2008, 12:39 PM
The sound of beers being opened brought me in here. Now I'm here I'd best help mongoose with that heavy case :cheers:

On topic, oneof my bosses brought in his 10 week old spaniel puppy into the office - two speeds on and off. All togetehr now Ahhhhhhhh.:rolleyes:

Mrs Blorenge
16th October 2008, 04:57 PM
The sound of beers being opened brought me in here. Now I'm here I'd best help mongoose with that heavy case :cheers:

On topic, oneof my bosses brought in his 10 week old spaniel puppy into the office - two speeds on and off. All togetehr now Ahhhhhhhh.:rolleyes:

http://alert.soft-systems.net/img/smile/357.gif

Where's active cacher gone?...

Now, boots... I have a really lovely pair of Berghaus gore-tex boots, which got 'broken in' doing The UnderWorld caches in Devon. They fit my feet like gloves (a strange image, perhaps), but it probably depends on the individual's feet as to what suits best.
When we were up in the Lake District I got sold two pairs of Bridgedale socks by The Golem (where is he these days?) and I was a bit sceptical about having "special socks" - but they're excellent - they're slightly elasticated around the foot and under the arch so your foot gets cuddled by them. I even hand wash them, because I appreciate them so much! :wub:

studlyone
16th October 2008, 05:01 PM
You hit the nail on the head there Mrs.B. The socks are just as important as the boots you wear. Why spend loads of money on top of the range boots to only wear cheap socks from a market on your feet. Lowe produce a great range of boots - mostly in black as they are for the military but they are great quality.

active cacher
16th October 2008, 05:27 PM
Wow, thanks Mrs Blorenge, I'll bear that in mind. Socks socks socks, it's all I ever think about anyway according to the Missus! :D

active cacher
16th October 2008, 05:31 PM
Aww thanks MrsB :)

OK - I'm going to be smug in the snug....

.........I'm about to move to Bristol to live with *mouse* :) :) :)

Wow, Congratulations! I see you're from Exeter, that must be real love, giving up beautiful Exeter for Bristol!
The missus has gone all mushy on me again, she wants to know how long you two have been together and how did you meet, all girly stuff!

keehotee
16th October 2008, 05:59 PM
Long enough to know what I want from life - and in a field in Dorset (thank you HoB)

Maple Leaf
16th October 2008, 06:10 PM
Boots - agree about the socks. Also get them 'fitted' - there is a person in our local outdoor shop who has been on boot fitting course and you can tell. Initially I thought my new ones where too big ... But took her advice and they are perfect

active cacher
16th October 2008, 06:11 PM
You lucky thing, all I ever seem to find in fields is dogs and old cows!! :D
Gets smacked over the head by the missus, she thinks it's all romantic :wub:

active cacher
16th October 2008, 06:51 PM
Boots - agree about the socks. Also get them 'fitted' - there is a person in our local outdoor shop who has been on boot fitting course and you can tell. Initially I thought my new ones where too big ... But took her advice and they are perfect

Hope they do the same course nationwide as I am a bit far away from Somerset, but thanks for the heads up, I'll certainly make sure I ask when I go into my local Millets .:)

*mouse*
16th October 2008, 07:47 PM

Which shop was it Jen? I know I've asked you before but I have a head like a sieve..... :rolleyes:

Paradiddle
16th October 2008, 08:21 PM
Initially I thought my new ones where too big ... But took her advice and they are perfect

... was that the clown shoes you bought? ;)

nobbynobbs
16th October 2008, 08:28 PM
Can I sit in the corner by the fire with a pint of "wallops wood" as brewed by a good cacher mate Herne2.:beer:

Mrs Blorenge
16th October 2008, 08:44 PM
Can I sit in the corner by the fire with a pint of "wallops wood" as brewed by a good cacher mate Herne2.:beer:

I s'pose so... as long as you're wearing the right sort of socks and you behave yourself :p

Maple Leaf
16th October 2008, 10:14 PM
Which shop was it Jen? I know I've asked you before but I have a head like a sieve..... :rolleyes:

The Gorge Outdoors, Cheddar Gorge (website (http://www.thegorgeoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/index.html)) ... but make sure you see Corrie if you want advice/fitting on boots (phone first to see what days she is in)

PS - Head like a sieve :confused: .... No, I think it is full of :wub:

nobbynobbs
17th October 2008, 06:52 AM
I s'pose so... as long as you're wearing the right sort of socks and you behave yourself :p

Thanks. I'm always wearing the correct socks. I get mine from http://www.barkers-ringwood.co.uk/ very good service and I'd thoroughly recommend them to anyone in the area or passing. :cheers:

keehotee
17th October 2008, 07:20 AM
I get my socks from here (http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_0/276-6699599-4363964?ie=UTF8&rs=42966030&isFromFinder=0&keywords=socks&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n:42966030,k:socks,n:43371030&page=1). The fitting service isn't great - but the cakes are quite nice :) :)

active cacher
17th October 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks nobbynobbs and Maple Leaf for your info but your local stores are too far for me to travel to. I'm in the Midlands so need something national or a bit more northern, altho I could drag the Missus down South if I promised to stop on the way down in one of those awful "Outlet" places for her to have her retail therapy... Wonder where the nearest ones are....? Are there any caches near to any of them I wonder, two birds, one stone and all that....:lol:

The Wombles
17th October 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks nobbynobbs and <snip>
I could drag the Missus down South if I promised to stop on the way down in one of those awful "Outlet" places for her to have her retail therapy... Wonder where the nearest ones are....?
<snip>

Cheddar is close to the Clarks factory village at Street, Somerset. A few caches nearby.

active cacher
17th October 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks Dave ( I think!)
:wacko:

Ten point nine
17th October 2008, 10:28 PM
Boots - Just bagged a pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTX (a one day half price offer) with a couple of pairs of super wool socks. A bit pricey for socks even if they are Merino wool but they fulfill the criteria of warm and fluffy. It's a long time since I had a pair of leather walking boots, so am being very careful to use them as house slippers until they are broken in enough to venture out. :):):) Brought a bottle of last seasons Sloe Gin, need the bottle for this years efforts. Anyone fancy a glass?

Mrs Blorenge
17th October 2008, 11:14 PM
Awwwwwwhhhh ..... "warm and fluffy"

Very much on topic for the Snug and with added sloe gin - How civilised!

<MrsB takes a small glassful> :beer:

Have you tried making sloe vodka? That is also excellent.

Maple Leaf
17th October 2008, 11:26 PM
Cheddar is close to the Clarks factory village at Street, Somerset. A few caches nearby.

It is about 30mins from Cheddar ... See website (http://www.clarksvillage.co.uk/default.aspx)

nobbynobbs
18th October 2008, 05:49 AM
Awwwwwwhhhh ..... "warm and fluffy"

Very much on topic for the Snug and with added sloe gin - How civilised!

<MrsB takes a small glassful> :beer:

Have you tried making sloe vodka? That is also excellent.

Try Toffee Vodka. much better :wacko:

Mrs Blorenge
18th October 2008, 09:13 AM
Toffee vodka? :confused:

Tell me about it... please! :D

nobbynobbs
18th October 2008, 09:25 PM
I originally came accross it at Eden down in Cornwall. but now you can get it online:
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=3299

it's like drinking alcoholic sweets :wacko:

active cacher
19th October 2008, 09:42 AM
My son's girlfriend loves that Baileys Caramel stuff. Never tried it but that smells like toffees.

Mrs Blorenge
19th October 2008, 09:46 AM
<MrsB puts a bowl of pistachio nuts on the table>

MrB just brought these back from Turkey. Help yourselves :)

Better than Turkish Delight (IMO)

Fluffy's Revenge
26th October 2008, 11:20 PM
So is this the place people feel warm and Fluffy??

F

studlyone
27th October 2008, 10:45 AM
My son's girlfriend loves that Baileys Caramel stuff. Never tried it but that smells like toffees.You simply can't go wrong with Baileys - might have to try to toffee one.

ivanidea
27th October 2008, 12:16 PM
So is this the place people feel warm and Fluffy??

F

Is that an invitation :D:wub:

Mrs Blorenge
14th November 2008, 10:06 PM
Is that an invitation :D:wub:

Oi! Is there random snug-ling going on over in that corner? :blink:

Mrs Blorenge
12th December 2008, 09:15 PM
Time to throw some logs onto the fire, get it blazing...

It's cold and wet out side.

Anyone want some mulled wine?

http://z.about.com/d/gouk/1/5/U/O/-/-/mulledwinemincepies.jpg

Bill D (wwh)
12th December 2008, 09:30 PM
Mine's a drop of malt... :)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4981/glenfiddichhh1.jpg

nobbynobbs
12th December 2008, 09:57 PM
mine's a pint of real ale from a local small brewer/ geocacher herne2

:beer:

Mrs Blorenge
12th December 2008, 10:35 PM
Mine's a drop of malt... :)

Can I mull that for you? :confused:

Mrs Blorenge
12th December 2008, 10:36 PM
mine's a pint of real ale from a local small brewer/ geocacher herne2

...with a mince pie floater maybe?

Mrs Blorenge
8th January 2009, 02:15 PM
I hope everyone's had a good break over Christmas and New Year. I wasn't going to make any NY resolution but then certain people made me feel guilty so I've committed myself to updating my facebook status more frequently (so that means once a week, rather than once evert two months). Such a major life-style adjustment! :blink:

I have about 2" of Winter Pimms which I'll get rid of in the next few days.

Anyone got some nice 'feel-good' story for the Snug?

Mrs Blorenge
25th February 2011, 07:23 PM
A long while ago, I started this Topic. It might be due for a revival. Let's see if there's any interest in posting good/funny/happy stuff that's happened recently...

We've got two new kitcats!

https://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/b4d66fb0-a426-445c-89b7-589006d13705.jpg

Boltonian
25th February 2011, 10:39 PM
I think I have the all clear for another 12 months.
:)

martybartfast
26th February 2011, 09:08 AM
I think I have the all clear for another 12 months.
:)

Good News :socool:

How come Mrs B has a picture of you in bed, and who's that minx you're with?

Boltonian
26th February 2011, 12:37 PM
OMG LOL I woke up with her.

DrDick&Vick
26th February 2011, 03:15 PM
I shall not make the obvious comment about waking up with a nice ##### next to you.
https://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk85/richardmullans/dancingcats-1.gif

RuberyBlue
27th February 2011, 09:41 PM
I had always assumed that I would go to my grave with seeing my beloved footie team, Birmingham City, winning a major trophy. Today I officially went to heaven......

Come on you Blues!
Keep right on!

RB

Boltonian
27th February 2011, 10:22 PM
?? City ??:dunno:

Mrs Blorenge
28th February 2011, 04:30 PM
I know nothing about football but Birmingham City was one half of the only professional match I've seen played.

(I got taken by a boyfriend, circa 1972, home match, can't recall who they were playing! :D )

Boltonian
28th February 2011, 04:38 PM
I was thinking Man City - the only team I can think of in Blue.

zarbibird
5th March 2011, 09:39 PM
I had always assumed that I would go to my grave with seeing my beloved footie team, Birmingham City, winning a major trophy. Today I officially went to heaven......

Come on you Blues!
Keep right on!

RB
It's always nice to hear of an underdog team with loyal supporters winning through........not that I know anything about football! :)

DrDick&Vick
18th March 2011, 05:07 PM
Booty Ball, a game with 22 over paid prima donna's trying to get a soft leather ball in between the sticks at each end of a bit of grass. If it is cold they have to wear long leggings and gloves because they are so soft. The enjoy going to country type B-B-Q events as I believe they enjoy 'Spit Roasts'
Enough said

Palujia
8th June 2011, 12:04 AM
Came back to work this week and found:-
a. Restrictions lifted on staff internet use
b. One of the Polish house keeping ladies came back off hols from home and, knowing I am a red wine lover, bought me a present of a nice bottle of red wine from her home area
Am feeling that I am back in the land of the living !

zarbibird
21st June 2011, 09:08 PM
Hooray! It's the first official day of summer :D

martybartfast
21st June 2011, 09:23 PM
Hooray! It's the first official day of summer :D

Yeah, but as it's also the longest day of the year that means it's downhill all the way to winter from here on in :eek:

Palujia
21st June 2011, 11:16 PM
Ah, that's the classic "half empty, or half full" problem - I am in favour of downing it in one - thus avoiding this. Mine's a pint thanks

Predictable Bob
24th June 2011, 09:53 PM
:D

My kids finished their A levels yesterday and they're all quite happy with their performance ...

If their optimism proves to be justified then the three of them will be off to uni in September !

:cheers:

Palujia
27th June 2011, 11:06 PM
Off out in the tin tent this week end - thursday to monday Nice Caravan club site at Moreton in Marsh - getting set up for MEGA Wales maybe wash the van off and air me flags out. Quiet time sitting in awning reading new Tom Clancy book - whilst she who must be obeyed watches t*****S !!)

DrDick&Vick
28th June 2011, 08:10 PM
you should get a Kindle mate, makes carrying books in the caravan much easier

Palujia
29th June 2011, 01:42 AM
I bought a Sony E reader the minute they came out - The trouble is that few of the authors I read are available in E Books ! So I have an expensive piece of tech sitting doing nothing (other than if you wish to read 100 classics !!!)

DrDick&Vick
29th June 2011, 09:44 PM
will it read KINDLE format

Palujia
30th June 2011, 02:05 AM
Not sure - Haven't fired it up for a few months - I know it downloads E Books from Waterstones or I tunes - but have lost patience with it at the moment - Will try and charge it up and see

zarbibird
6th July 2011, 08:39 PM
We've got some exciting news! Our house is finally under offer and we've had an offer accepted on a little bungalow in Surrey. :D Please could everybody keep their fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly :socool:

Palujia
6th July 2011, 10:51 PM
As the advert says "Bang on ! Huzzah" - Fingers, toes and dogs paws crossed for you !!

DrDick&Vick
7th July 2011, 12:25 PM
Hope it all goes well

musketeer
19th July 2011, 08:44 AM
Two weeks left at the job I dislike! then a holiday with the OH by the seasidee!

...not sure if this is snug or just smug. :cool:

zarbibird
19th July 2011, 09:15 PM
Good for you! Smug or snug...don't matter to me! Hope the sun shines for you :cheers:

musketeer
20th July 2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks! I think it was a combination of smug and snug tbf :S I hope so too... you never really know what its gonna be like with Brittany do you? sometimes it rains and is cold all the wimdou (http://www.wimdu.co.uk/blog/wimdoo-wimdou-wimdo) time and other times it is beautiful weather.I hope its ok when i am there though, I want to get on the beach!

Palujia
20th July 2011, 11:16 PM
Yippee - week to go before setting off to the mega - then off on summer hols to Mablethorpe with the Beauchiefs for 2 weeks - "I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got plastic GPS sitting on the dash board of my car"!!! lots of caching, wine drinking and barbie - ing

musketeer
21st July 2011, 08:14 AM
two weeks! :( i'm only going to the seaside for a couple of days... but if it rains all the time it might be long enough! i am after some lazing on the beach and in rain that would not be so desirable.

Have fun on your hols!

Predictable Bob
21st July 2011, 12:55 PM
:D

The wife's not working on 2nd August so we get an extra day at the Mega - now I've just got to get her over her fear of heights so we can do Pen Y Fan !

DrDick&Vick
21st July 2011, 10:50 PM
2 weeks, is that all. We left home in the 18th April and won't return until 5th October, now that is what you call a holiday. :applause:

Palujia
21st July 2011, 11:47 PM
Good grief Charlie Brown - that's not a holiday - that's emigration !!

musketeer
22nd July 2011, 11:01 AM
:O I agree!! I think that long being on holiday is more just a way of life and not a holiday!!

Predictable Bob
18th August 2011, 05:53 PM
:confused:

I'm not sure if this is good news or bad - Katie and Dave have confirmed Uni places with another to come when the Uni receives Paul's GCSE English certificate BUT we're going to be totally brassic for at least the next 3-4 years ...

:dunno:

Palujia
29th August 2011, 12:06 AM
Next year's Geolympix are in Oxford (only 16 miles from my home) No need to book camp sites etc., the only fly in the oinkment is that parking fees in Oxford are going through the roof and reading the Oxford Times they are going up again !!