PDA

View Full Version : Geocache introduction document

Brenin Tegeingl
21st September 2003, 11:26 AM
Quote from the GC.COM UK forums,

"It may be an idea to be armed with some sort of printout that could be handed to any likely landowner. One that would outline all the positive things about our sport.

This is just my view guys.

Bob....
http://www.bobh.co.uk
'Life, it's a game with one serious bit - geocaching!'"

Having tried to contact a landowner (a large company) by phone about placing a cache, I am in the position of preparing a set of documents to post to the manager, as I was unable to speak to the appropriate person, passed from department to department. After collecting several documents off GC.COM and other sites, I am now in the position of trying to coble it all together into one document, which presents geocaching in a good light! Not a easy task for some one who has never had to do this sort of thing before. I was wondering if once a committee has been elected, if they could prepare such a document, which could be downloaded by members. And thus present to landowners a unified document giving details of the history, aims and environmental support of geacaching from a UK and GAGB perspective. I see the above as fitting with the associations aim of supporting its members, and would be a lot more cohesive than what I've put together up to now :( ! Mancunian Pyrocacher

paul.blitz
21st September 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mancunian@Sep 21 2003, 10:26 AM
"It may be an idea to be armed with some sort of printout that could be handed to any likely landowner. One that would outline all the positive things about our sport.

I think you'll find this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that the GAGB team will be doing once elected (and if not, I'd like to know why!).

I'm sure you appreciate that this and many other things are being held back until there is an elected committee in place.

I'm sure they would very much appreciate seeing what you put together.

Paul

Brenin Tegeingl
25th September 2003, 12:45 AM
As requested a rough copy of the draft is avaible here http://introdoc.mysite.freeserve.com/, as it states on the website unfortunatly I make do with free space from my ISP. So only the contents and not the layout of the pages is shown. Please feel free to email me with any constuctive comments, and anyone wishing to use any part of it is welcome to! I've copied a lot of the info of several websites including GAGBs, which I have aknowlaged on the last page. Dave-Mancunian Pyrocacher

Wood Smoke
25th September 2003, 07:03 AM
If you email me the complete documents I can post it on a web site complete :-)

WoodSmoke

TheCat
25th September 2003, 09:12 AM
I would also be willing to place the document on geocacheuk.com

TheCat

Brenin Tegeingl
25th September 2003, 10:12 AM
Many thanks to Wood Smoke and TheCat, emails are on the way to both. Dave-Mancunian Pyrocacher

Wood Smoke
25th September 2003, 10:32 AM
As Mark is gonna put it on the GUK site, I wont bother to post it elsewhere as it will be easily available from there :-)

WoodSmoke

paul.blitz
25th September 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mancunian@Sep 24 2003, 11:45 PM
Please feel free to email me with any constuctive comments..
I'm not in email contact right now, so will post a quick note here...

I feel that the history page goes into far too much detail: the detail will confuse many people (even those who are partially internet literate), and could easily put them off reading the rest of the document, which is actually far more important, yet looks easier to read!

I don't think you need details of the newsgroup name, and maybe not even the detailed dates (eg make it something like "on XX may, 2200, the restrictions were lifted. Within days Mr bloggs posted a public message to the internet saying that he had placed a bucket......".

Hope that's helpful to you

Paul

THE BRAMBLERS
25th September 2003, 01:07 PM
Compiling a document to present to landowners/managers and other officials is a really good idea, although I do agree with Paul, it needs to be specific and to the point without too much detail in the first instance.

It's also good to see that all geocaching organisations are pulling together on this, because when united we are indeed a force to be reckoned with as was demonstrated with the HCC event. If in the future, geocaching is to move forward, it will have to present a united front.

When making a case for geocaching, especially to government agencies i.e. local authorities, FE, etc., the educational side of geocaching cannot be over-emphasised, as it is part of their remit to get more people out into the countryside and to link this to education. Geocaching fulfills these requirements superbly.

It was mainly this that sold geocaching to HCC along with the fact that they saw geocachers as responsible, sensible people.

Not trying to blow my own trumpet here, but it might also be worth pointing out that the Government's National Grid for Learning also see geocaching as a valuable educational resource.

Click here. (http://www.ngfl.gov.uk/features.jsp?sec=15&res=66757)

As has been mentioned before, the interesting thing about this article is the fact that the NGFL actually contacted me and specifically asked me to mention geocaching because of it's educational value.

Hampshire schools are now also becoming involved in geocaching as it can be used to cover a number of aspects in the National Curriculum.

David

Brenin Tegeingl
25th September 2003, 03:07 PM
Many thanks for the comments. The history page was severely culled from another website, as it was very derogatory about GC.COM and J Irish, I deliberately left those bits out. Mark has emailed me to let me know that he's going to work on it over the next few days, before placing it on G:UK.COM. I look forward to seeing the finished product. As I said in my initial post, I've not really got a clue about putting this sort of thing together. As my background is mainly as a warehouse op, and currently my wife's carer, with no need for reports. So I am grateful that others more literate than myself are to take on the task of finishing it off. Once again many thanks for the comments and especial thanks to Roy and Mark for their offers. If the finished product only helps one cacher with a cache placement, that will have made it worthwhile. Dave