PDA

View Full Version : Garmin TOPO scale

esim
28th November 2008, 10:45 PM
I've been looking at the garmin etrex vista hcx and the "Garmin TOPO Great Britain DVD Maps", but are not really sure what level of map detail I'd get for the ~£110 it cost.

Is it equivalent to 1:50k or what?? :confused:

The Wombles
28th November 2008, 11:05 PM
Topo V2 (not V1) are the best maps you can currently get for Garmin. You can zoom in closer than an OS 1:25000 but the detail is less than 1:50000, for example many footpaths are missing. Having said that it's generally pretty good and I've been using it for several years on a 60CSx and now the Oregon.

However, I got the Oregon 400t which comes preloaded with Topo V1 which is greatly inferior. For example, it's missing the 85 mile Kennet and Avon canal.

In the absence of anything better, I recommend Topo V2 at least until the Government sell Ordnance Survey to fill part of the National Debt and the new privatised owner starts selling OS mapping more vigorously.

esim
28th November 2008, 11:09 PM
I guess all I'm after is something where I can see if I'm on the right side of the river and where to cross. Is it sufficient for that?

The Wombles
28th November 2008, 11:12 PM
Yes and it's the only Garmin mapping which always shows the correct side of the river. Earlier mapping added miles to my caching before Topo V2.

esim
28th November 2008, 11:13 PM
Excellent, thank you.

shane10x
21st January 2009, 12:18 PM
hi i got a garmin colorado for christmas and it came with no maps they cost me another£113 pounds for topo v2 and i am not to impressed. I was useing memory maps 1:50,000
on my phone previous to this and they were much better but no street names on it. Garmin could do them selfs a great favour if it could us os or memory maps. but it does not. a real shame