PDA

View Full Version : Should the site link to commercial organisations with direct links to geocaching?

keehotee
5th December 2008, 07:03 AM
Should there be a page of links to commercial sites associated with caching, such as Groundspeak, Millets, Blacks, Garmin, DeLorme, Memory Map, the OS and GSAK?

Just Roger
5th December 2008, 07:16 AM
Definitely NO. Why should GAGB provide free advertising for comercial companies in addition to all the arguments against links to NPO's.

While I do nor want them, I rather have 'Paid for Ads'. They would have 2 advantages.

1. Generate revenue for GAGB.

2. With Firefox and Adblock+ I wouldn't even know they were there. (Like the GS ads - What GS ads?)

Brenin Tegeingl
5th December 2008, 08:00 AM
I'm another No whilst linking to NPO's if restricted to those who could benefit the membership despite being mainly non caching.Would be of a positive nature.

Linking to Commercial enterprises apart from the Listing Sites, would Open the Flood Gates! In that if you have one GPS Manufacturer linked to, all would have to be linked to to avoid any claims of commercial biased on the part of GAGB. The same goes for Outdoor Equipment Stores.

Question: how many National Chains are there alone let alone Local ones?

Question: how many NPO's who can have a major benefit to the Membership are there?

Also links to Commercial Enterprises other than the Listing Sites could be considered to be Commercial Advertising. Do we really want to go down that route.

Dave
(This is a personal post,but please feel free to quote it outside of this forum, provided it is in it's entirety)

Mongoose39uk
5th December 2008, 08:57 AM
I have always said no to links to commercial sites, caching related or not, even though I could personally benefit from this.

I continue to say no.

Matrix
5th December 2008, 09:29 AM
I also voted No despite being a customer of at least 2 of the companies that might have wanted/benefited from such links. I think that most people know who and where to get caching supplies from and If they dont they can always post a question and ask, plus there is the old addage "Google is your friend" .

clotguy
5th December 2008, 09:49 AM
no thank you, I realise that they may be a source of income but just where would it stop?

sandvika
5th December 2008, 10:56 AM
No. GAGB is "not for profit" and this would be blurred by "for profit" links as well as the inevitable "our competitor is listed, so why not us?" can of worms!

Certain software products are purely for caching, however it is really up to satisfied caching customers to recommend these products, not GAGB.

Dave Gerrie
5th December 2008, 05:14 PM
again, a question I have! (hmm, that sounds rather like Yoda!)

Would a single page of commercial links be more acceptable, so as not to flood the website with them all over the place? If necessary, the page could have sub headings such as outdoors equipment shops, caching software, listing sites, GPS manufacturers, etc.

I only consider this as a possibility as it could be a good source of income. GAGB is a NPO and always should be, but even an NPO has running costs.

Finally, as a matter of interest, what do other sites do? I'm thinking of both caching sites (eg other regional sites) or even the ramblers association (for example).

just some food for thought!

edit to say - they would have to pay of course!

Bill D (wwh)
5th December 2008, 05:24 PM
I'd like to see no commercial links on the website, except to cache listing sites. I've no objection to commercial links in forum posts, if they're posted to provide information that's been requested, point out a current special offer, and so on.

studlyone
5th December 2008, 05:34 PM
It would be a dangerous presedence to set I think as where would it stop. If people want to find outlets for geocaching items or GPSs etc its probably best to google for them anyway. As has been argued on geocaching.com especially in the geocoin forums even just having a link in place gives an implied recomendation. Best steer clear of this course in my opinion even if I could directly benefit from a link, I think it would have a negative impact on the GAGB and how it is perceived.

nobbynobbs
5th December 2008, 07:16 PM
I'd say no as a first reaction, but I might waver if it was due to a discount maybe, some sort of special deal that members could get......

molfrew-mosstoad
5th December 2008, 10:00 PM
Hmm not sure if I would like to see this site directly linked to "Commercial Organisations" however I do like links to be posted on "special offers" etc if someone has spotted a good deal its nice to share it with others....

Long an the short Im sitting sitting on the fence for now:dunno:

L8HNB
6th December 2008, 01:27 PM
No from us right now, though if the committee thought there was some mileage in it then it maybe ok.

Most commercial links I've seen don't give the best deals, that often takes a bit of research. Better deals elsewhere could then reflect poorly on the GAGB.

L&H.

uktim
6th December 2008, 10:08 PM
Most definitely yes here. A page of relevant links would be a useful service for visitors to the site who wanted such info and those who don't want to see commercial links don't need to visit that page.

martybartfast
6th December 2008, 11:17 PM
If it's done on a links page then I'd vote "Yes" as it could be a useful resource.