PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure

Tartan Tumchie
5th April 2009, 10:21 AM
I've now got 4 caches under my belt but I'm still not too sure about Geocoins.
what do i do with them?
If i happen across one do move it on ? or is it only some that get moved from cache to cache?
Do i keep them?
I'm ok with TB'S i know they want to be moved around and have instructions to do so.
The coins I'm not so sure about.

this has probably been asked before and I'm probably posting in the wrong part of the forum if i have posted it in the wrong place i apologise:)

Bear and Ragged
5th April 2009, 02:59 PM
Geocoins are TB's and are logged and moved the same way.
Coins may or may not have a mission statement with them.
(Some coins have numbers that are very difficult to read, or even find!)

Sometimes... An unactivated coin may be left in a cache for the First To Find as a prize.

Bill D (wwh)
5th April 2009, 04:44 PM
Further to what Bear and Ragged have said, there are some (mainly early - pre 2006, I think) geocoins that aren't trackable. If you're sure there's no tracking number on the coin, then it may have been left as a swap. Check previous logs to see if anyone's mentioned leaving it. If in doubt, check with the coin owner or producer if you can identify them, or post in here and ask.

Tartan Tumchie
5th April 2009, 05:25 PM
thanks for the info just wanted to make sure

jjim30
15th April 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi all, this was a question I was going to ask as wellT.T. joined around the same time as me though he/she seems to have more time than me for caching,I found my second cache yesterday and blow me there was a geocoin
in it,I really dindnt know what to do with it so left it in the cache went home and read up about them,returned to cache in evening and grabbed it have
entered the details on the coins page and will resite it this w/end. I am well and truly hooked now.Further to this after reading the posts about coin theft I intend to scan each coin I find to keep a record of my finds is this acceptable??

Mrs Blorenge
15th April 2009, 07:32 PM
...Further to this after reading the posts about coin theft I intend to scan each coin I find to keep a record of my finds is this acceptable??

Yes, if you want to. But remember that every coin (or TB) that you pick up and move along, or simply 'discover', will show up on your geocaching account anyway. Go to your profile, click on the tab marked Trackables: There you'll see two lists - on the left are all the trackable items you've logged, on the right are all the ones that you own.

Mrs Blorenge
15th April 2009, 07:45 PM
I've now got 4 caches under my belt but I'm still not too sure about Geocoins.
what do i do with them?
If i happen across one do move it on ? or is it only some that get moved from cache to cache?
Do i keep them?
I'm ok with TB'S i know they want to be moved around and have instructions to do so.
The coins I'm not so sure about.

this has probably been asked before and I'm probably posting in the wrong part of the forum if i have posted it in the wrong place i apologise:)

I'd say that 99% of the geocoins that you'll find in geocaches belong to other geocachers and they are travelling around in the same way that TBs travel. It's quite rare to find an un-activated geocoin (that means one that isn't already registered to a geocachers account - i.e. it doesn't have an owner) in a geocache, although sometimes very generous cachers will put one into a cache as a FTF prize.

Newer cachers can get a bit confused regarding geocoins because some coin owners put their geocoins out into the wild to travel, but others simply collect the geocoins and keep them in personal collections. They never intend to release their geocoins into caches but they will often bring their collections to geocaching events so that others may enjoy seeing them.

One other point about geocoins and TBs - You are not obliged to trade anything for a trackable item. They are not the same as swap items. You can take any trackable (geocoin or TB) from a cache as long as you can move it on, preferably within 2 or 3 weeks, and help it with its mission if it has one.

Tartan Tumchie
19th April 2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the added info MRS B i'm just back from my Easter Hols where i bagged 14 caches 2 of which had TB'S in them so i will be helping them on there way shortly.

TT