PDA

View Full Version : Childhood memories

The Hornet
24th April 2009, 12:21 PM
I was doing some weeding in the garden this morning and had entered that state of mind when ones thoughts drift aimlessly and at random when I remembered a childhood treat called a "Frozen Jubbly". An orange drink, sold in a pyramid shaped carton and which some enterprising sweetshop owner had popped in the ice cream freezer and which became a huge ice lolly. As I recall it cost 4d. Being a sad old so and so I then started trying to recall other childhood treats which have now disappeared. Things like:

Spangles - square shaped fruit flavoured boiled sweets
Potato Puffs - Somewhat like crisps (my favourite being Tomato Ketchup flavour!)
"Proper" crisps with the salt in a twist of blue waxed paper
Frys Five Boys chocolate
Gobstoppers that seemed to be as big as a ping pong ball (but were probably much smaller)
6d Boxes of Minstrels sold in vending machines on tube stations
Lemonade Powder (2d a quarter pound IIRC) eaten using a licked finger

Any other old timers remember anything else?

Bill D (wwh)
24th April 2009, 12:45 PM
I remember all of those except the Fry's Five Boys chocolate. And a few more come to mind.

Wagon wheels (a chocolate coated biscuity thing) - they were still around some years ago, and maybe still are, but they're tiny... The ones I remember were HUGE, unless memory deceives me...!

Sherbet with a straw.

I forget the name, but a liquid instant coffee essence, sold in small bottles which were square in cross-section.

Travelling to school every day by steam train.

Penny bangers (fireworks not sausages! :D)

Jetex fuse, sugar and sodium chlorate weedkiller... Don't ask, but the penny bangers might give a clue... :ph34r:

Matrix
24th April 2009, 12:47 PM
Cadburys (I think ) Bar Six

Curly wurlys that were 3 feet long (that maybe an exaggeration :rolleyes: )

1d bags of chips

:popcorn:

The Hornet
24th April 2009, 01:34 PM
I think you mean Camp coffee (as in tent, not Larry Grayson ;))

Ah! Sodium Chlorate, in those days it didn't have a fire retardent added. I remember it well ;):ph34r:

martybartfast
24th April 2009, 01:39 PM
I forget the name, but a liquid instant coffee essence, sold in small bottles which were square in cross-section.

Camp! (the coffee, not you :D) and I think they still do it.

I remember Jubblies as well
Lucky Bags
Bazooka Joe bubblegum (which had a little cartoon strip inside and you could save them up and send off for stuff).

and the sweet shop where everything was sold loose and you could buy 2penneth of anyting in a little cone shaped paper bag.

And sleeping in a shoe box in t' middle of t' road, and getting up before we went to bed to lick t' road clean......

Just Roger
24th April 2009, 01:52 PM
Gobstoppers that seemed to be as big as a ping pong ball (but were probably much smaller)

When I was doing Rye Rample (GCMVZT) last September I found a fantastic, old-style Sweet Shop in the High Street that had Gobstoppers in all colours at least as big as a ping-pong ball or a bit bigger. It had all the old sweets like bulls eyes and humbugs as well. Not only that but they were in rows and rows of those big glass jars with screw lids (actually plastic immitation glass jars)

Bill D (wwh)
24th April 2009, 01:57 PM
I think you mean Camp coffee (as in tent, not Larry Grayson ;))

Ah! Sodium Chlorate, in those days it didn't have a fire retardent added. I remember it well ;):ph34r:
Ah, Camp Coffee, that was the one!

We were always trying to improve our sodium chlorate mixtures - one new recipe self-ignited whilst we were mixing it up... Phew, that was a close one! :eek:

Camp! (the coffee, not you :D) and I think they still do it.
I obviously shop in all the wrong places! :(

Al & Tracy Smith
24th April 2009, 02:10 PM
Wagon wheels (a chocolate coated biscuity thing) - they were still around some years ago, and maybe still are, but they're tiny... The ones I remember were HUGE, unless memory deceives me...!

Penny bangers (fireworks not sausages! )

No your memory’s not going Wagon Wheels were Huge, and I loved camp coffee, however, as it has the sugar already added I now find it two sweet!!!!

My favourite sweets were, Black Jacks & Fruit Sandwich Chews (2 for a penny ) and Victory V Lozenges.

As for fireworks the "Jumping Jack" (like a coiled snake like banger but very unpredictable) was the best. It always chassed you round the garden or tried to get in the kitchen. I still don't understand why it got banned - LOL

And we still have an old style sweet shop near us - jars n jars of the stuff :popcorn:

Bill D (wwh)
24th April 2009, 02:28 PM
...and I loved camp coffee, however, as it has the sugar already added I now find it two sweet!!!!

Ah, I wouldn't like it now in that case... I do have sugar in my coffee, but what I loved about Camp coffee was dipping my finger into the essence and tasting the superb bitterness of it! :)

The Hornet
24th April 2009, 03:36 PM
My favourite sweets were, Black Jacks & Fruit Sandwich Chews (2 for a penny ) and Victory V Lozenges.
Two for a penny?! When I were a lad they were a farthing each - and yes, I do remember farthings being legal tender.

Much as I still like Victory V Lozenges, they are nowhere near as good as when they had chloroform in them. They had a real bite then:eek:

Now, how about a real golden oldie - Virol

Just Roger
25th April 2009, 06:31 AM
Do you remember Tizer, a red,fizzy drink that came in glass bottles with screw tops that screwed inside the neck of the bottle rather than outside like a preform?

gazooks
25th April 2009, 08:58 AM
Much as I still like Victory V Lozenges, they are nowhere near as good as when they had chloroform in them. They had a real bite then:eek:

My Nan used to work in the factory where they made them. They were allowed to have a free amount each week and my Nan became addicted to them :eek::) - even continued with them after they toned them down.

I remember...

- Bazooka Joe bubblegum
- Aztec bars
- Variety bags - had different sweets and chews inside with a toy - blue bags for boys and pink bags for girls.
- Space Dust
- Cough candy twists
- sweet tobacco (in a little pouch)
- chocolate cigarettes that used real cigarette papers
- Gold nugget bubblegum (in a little pouch)

martybartfast
25th April 2009, 09:26 AM
Do you remember Tizer, a red,fizzy drink that came in glass bottles with screw tops that screwed inside the neck of the bottle rather than outside like a preform?

Yep, and you got a deposit back on the bottle, then could nip round the back of the shop, over the back wall, nick the bottles back and send your mate in to claim the deposit again :ph34r:

Mrs Blorenge
25th April 2009, 12:07 PM
Tubes of Rowntree's fruitgums... Who remembers that you used to be able to buy tubes of the fruitgums only the blackcurrant flavour? I think you can still get the pastilles in "all blackcurrant".

Bill D (wwh)
25th April 2009, 12:10 PM
...Who remembers that you used to be able to buy tubes of the fruitgums only the blackcurrant flavour?...
Yep, I remember them well...! :)

DrDick&Vick
25th April 2009, 02:23 PM
The small 1/3rd pints of milk during break time at school.
The sealed straws that had a Milk Shake mix in it that we all took to school to add to the milk.
4 Domino Ciggies.
packs of 5 ciggies.
Jamboree bags.

Mrs Blorenge
25th April 2009, 02:52 PM
Yep, I remember them well...! :)

:socool:

Many years ago (1979) I wrote to Rowntrees about the "all-black" tubes of fruitgums, saying that I was sure that they used to exist in my childhood, or was my memory at fault?

I had a lovely letter back from them, confirming that my memory was correct but saying that because the blackcurrant flavour was the most expensive one to produce it was no longer economically viable for them to produce the all blackcurrant tubes. The letter concluded something like, "Thank you for your interest in our product. We have included a gift for you to remember your favourite flavour." In the parcel with the letter was a box containing about 1lb weight of the blackcurrant gums! It was particularly good of them because we were living in Peking at that time and the parcel had arrived through the Diplomatic Bag to the British embassy! :D

Handsyhands
26th April 2009, 12:46 AM
Sherbert UFO's, Dentine Chewing Gum, Black Jacks and best of all SMASH!

26th April 2009, 03:38 AM
I remember...

- Bazooka Joe bubblegum
- Aztec bars
- Variety bags - had different sweets and chews inside with a toy - blue bags for boys and pink bags for girls.
- Space Dust
- Cough candy twists
- sweet tobacco (in a little pouch)
- chocolate cigarettes that used real cigarette papers
- Gold nugget bubblegum (in a little pouch)

gazooks we must be a similar age because I remember all these from the local corner shop, and the school tuck shop especially my favourite the Gold nugget bubblegum (in a little pouch) (http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2etreasureisl andsweets%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fBazooka_joe_bubbl egum%2ehtml&WD=gold&PN=Gold_Nuggets%2ehtml%23aGOL005#aGOL005):applause :, and the space dust (popping candy)

See one of my favourite websites - www.aquarterof.co.uk (http://http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/) :D

26th April 2009, 03:42 AM
Yep, and you got a deposit back on the bottle, then could nip round the back of the shop, over the back wall, nick the bottles back and send your mate in to claim the deposit again :ph34r:

:ph34r: Wasn't just me then!... :rolleyes:

Just Roger
27th April 2009, 06:42 AM

Do you remember when they used to pay you 6d for Grey Squirrel tails at the local police station (they used to be vermin). We used to do the same thing - round the back and retrieve them from the dustbin and claim on them gain the next day.

ivanidea
27th April 2009, 12:10 PM
Caramac - caramel flavoured chocolate bar
Raider bar (Rowntrees)

Bill D (wwh)
27th April 2009, 01:27 PM

Drool... :socool:

gazooks
27th April 2009, 01:56 PM
How about the Cadburys Milk Tray bar....

6 or 8 Milk tray chocolates in bar form. :)

nobbynobbs
28th April 2009, 09:11 AM
Raider bar (Rowntrees)

http://www.handycandy.co.uk/caramac-p-325.html

Bill D (wwh)
28th April 2009, 11:40 AM
http://www.handycandy.co.uk/caramac-p-325.html
It's interesting to see the price - 59p a bar, or almost 11s 10d in old money... For that price we'd have expected a lorry load...! :)

Now there's inflation... :ph34r:

T.R.a.M.P.
28th April 2009, 01:19 PM
It's interesting to see the price - 59p a bar, or almost 11s 10d in old money... For that price we'd have expected a lorry load...! :)

www.aquarterof.co.uk (http://http//www.aquarterof.co.uk/) as mentioned above have them cheaper.
Also, Gold bar biscuits are covered in Caramac and they are available in Sainsbury's :socool:

How about honeycomb to stick your teeth together:o:D

The Hornet
28th April 2009, 02:03 PM
As sodium chlorate has been mentioned earlier it set me thinking about another "experiment" we used to enjoy as boys. At the time (early 60's) there was an old fashioned cycle shop in Towcester where I lived which used to sell calcium carbide for VERY old fashioned cycle lamps. For those who don't know, if you drip water on it, it gives off inflammable acetylene gas.

Now with a little imagination we realised this could have a spectacular effect. Take one Corona or Tizer bottle with a clip top (not a screw one). Add a good handful of stones (to make it sink) and then some water. Finally stand on the bridge over the river Tove, add a handful of carbide, clip the top on and hastily drop it in the river.

After a short while a very satisfying "boom" and water flying in the air as it went off like a depth charge. We did try it on dry land and although it worked very well, even we were scared of the dangers of flying glass :eek:!!

How the hell we survived I don't know. :rolleyes::confused:

For a tame version, using a plastic bottle see here (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1020477/calcium_carbide_bomb/).

Edited to add: I couldn't resist having a quick look on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Calcium-Carbide-Stones-for-Lamps-NEW-containers-3-lbs_W0QQitemZ270379284509QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Col lectables_Memorabila_RL?hash=item270379284509&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18). No, I musn't...........;);)

T.R.a.M.P.
28th April 2009, 03:46 PM
How the hell we survived I don't know. :rolleyes::confused:

Indeed:eek::socool:
When I were a lad... we had a gas cooker that had a special tool to light the hob. It was a little 'wand' with its own gas supply coming down a thin tube. It's gas was turned on and ignited by a spark as it was removed from the holder and could then reach across to the hob.
Now the cooker was next to the draining board and my brother discovered that after bubbling gas into soapy water, it could then be ignited with quite spectacular results!:eek::rolleyes::o:socool:

We also used to put vinegar and baking powder into a medicine bottle, then quickly put the *cork* back in. It was either a very satisfying pop or a laugh as the experimenter got covered in brown gloop:D.

Dave Gerrie
30th April 2009, 11:54 AM
I was doing some weeding in the garden this morning and had entered that state of mind when ones thoughts drift aimlessly and at random when I remembered a childhood treat called a "Frozen Jubbly". An orange drink, sold in a pyramid shaped carton and which some enterprising sweetshop owner had popped in the ice cream freezer and which became a huge ice lolly. As I recall it cost 4d.

Any other old timers remember anything else?

Try Tescos gramps! :D

Those pyramid shaped things are still available (blackcurrant and orange flavours that I know of) and me and the Mrs often have a stock of them in the freezer during summer - cheap and refreshing!

other supermarkets are available, and may stock them as well!

gazooks
30th April 2009, 01:55 PM
Try Tescos gramps! :D

Those pyramid shaped things are still available (blackcurrant and orange flavours that I know of) and me and the Mrs often have a stock of them in the freezer during summer - cheap and refreshing!

other supermarkets are available, and may stock them as well!

But I'm sure they are not as big as they used to be :confused:

12th May 2009, 12:29 AM
Talking of childhood treats, I used to get a new I SPY book if we went on a long car journey.

Remember these?

Mrs Blorenge
12th May 2009, 08:04 PM

I popped into our local garage shop this afternoon and what did I see but a Caramac bar. Remembering "caramel flavoured chocolate bar" I bought one to try it, because I don't think I've ever eaten one before...

Sorry to say that the Earth didn't move for me. :(

It was too much like Milky Bar with a slightly caramel flavour and I've never been a fan of white chocolate.

You'll be pleased to know that it didn't go to waste: my son ate it :D , all 141 calories (I ate the other 28 in my sample tasting)

You may notice they're only 45p here. :p

The evidence:

https://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8bf66754-125a-4afd-a126-ed38c431e715.jpg

forestferret
13th May 2009, 07:02 AM
guilty of remembering all of the formentioned :D

but during the 70s i remember bags of i think popcorn or maybe some type of crisp they were called hankypankys i remember the tv add quite well
can any of you lot remember them or was it just a childhood hallucination???:eek:

ivanidea
13th May 2009, 11:38 AM
I remember the hankypanky tv adverts, starring Arthur Lowe (Dads Army).

Handsyhands
23rd May 2009, 11:46 PM
I don't remember those at all, probably because I was a secret lemonade drinker at the time! :beer:

forestferret
25th May 2009, 01:02 AM
lmao i remember the rwhites ads they were great
but how many can remember the corona ads they had a catch line like get physical withe fiss something along those lines ???

Bill D (wwh)
25th May 2009, 11:52 AM
Every bubble's passed its physical. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5F23TxSpZk)

keehotee
25th May 2009, 12:31 PM
lmao i remember the rwhites ads they were great
but how many can remember the corona ads they had a catch line like get physical withe fiss something along those lines ???

Get busy with the fizzy ????? Or was that Sodastream?

And the bloke in the stripy PJs singing the R Whites song was Elvis Costello's Dad.

ivanidea
25th May 2009, 12:55 PM
What about the old Irn Bru adverts where they mentioned it was made with iron girders?

I also remember the label stated it was Scotlands other national drink :beer:

Ivan

t.a.folk
29th May 2009, 10:23 AM
1950's
Going into Woolworths and being allowed to choose a 2 oz of sweets and on a good day a quarter .

and from Circa 1961 Geography homework
Brook Bond Tea collectable cards

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/tafolk/DSCF2428-1.jpg

and the price of chocolate bars pre- decimal ..weren't very big price or size .

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/tafolk/DSCF2426-1.jpg

forestferret
14th June 2009, 07:22 AM
ok who can rember metal mickey and of course FIZZ BOMBS my all time sweets when i was a wee boy :D:D:socool:

Watford Wobble
24th June 2009, 03:01 PM
Chocolate cigarettes that came is a mock fag packet. My mum nearly tanned my backside when she first caught me 'smoking' the things.

Palujia
15th June 2010, 06:24 AM
Just came across this thread - can't think why I didn't see it earlier. "She who must be obeyed" is always going on about the size of "Wagon Wheels". She reckons they are about half the size they were when we were actively eating the horrible things ! Everybody smoked when us baby boomers were kids - couldn't wait (packet of 5 "Domino" cigs for 6pence)
Real sophisticates smoked Sobrianie "Black Russian" I remember going on a School exchange trip to France and getting the taste for those awful french Gitannes and Gaulois ! When I joined the Army in the early 60s the tinned "Compo" rations had special tins with Chocolate and boiled sweets. Big thick bars of Frys 5 boys or the red Cadburys - a good half inch thick and really enjoyable !
Happy days

Palujia
15th June 2010, 06:26 AM
PS - greaseproof bags of "Smiths Crisps" with the blue twist of salt in !!
:popcorn:

Matrix
15th June 2010, 09:49 AM
Watch out watch out there's a humphrey about :applause:

http://www.trp.dundee.ac.uk/images/humphrey/humph4.gif

Even famous people were involved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOeL18BFc0o