PDA

View Full Version : 1000 club

Sagina nivalis
30th April 2009, 12:40 AM
Figures as of 29/4/09. I have used "Unofficial register" figures for those who belong to that "club" as these give a precise total of pillars visited. TUK totals include FBMs etc, also revisits in the case of people (e.g. me) who log repeat visits. [ted points out below that the totals no longer multi-count revisits]

RobW 5547 Pillars visited
John Friend 4307 Pillars visited
mickandshane 3024 TUK logs
iainmac 2991 Pillars visited
Rhayader_wanderer2315 TUK logs
Barbara Jones 2154 Pillars visited
Glaslyn 2001 TUK logs
fasgadh 1673 TUK logs
Jerzy Buczak 1429 Pillars visited
Graeme Paterson 1374 Pillars visited
Pyoung1s 1327 TUK logs
Jim Cain 1312 Pillars visited
Jonathan Rouse 1157 Pillars visited
bluebeard 1078 TUK logs
Trevor Littlewood 1049 Pillars visited
Sue Littlewood 1049 Pillars visited
ted 1019 TUK logs

John Friend is a new (to me) find. He visited 4307 trigs in 50 months (i.e. about 1000/year), in mainland England, Wales and Central/Southern Scotland plus the IOW and Anglesey. This was between June 1986 and August 1990, before a car accident brought his trigging career to an abrupt halt.

Makes you wonder how many others there are out there. Anyone know any?

Congrats to ted and bluebeard on passing the 1000, also Glaslyn for passing 2000. :applause:

Does anyone know what happened to mickandshane?? (and how to format columns in posts? The software removes "spare" spaces :dunno:)

Bill D (wwh)
30th April 2009, 11:31 AM
Quite a few of those names are new to me. Are they triggers who don't cache, or am I living in my own little world here? :confused:

As to formatting posts, I don't know an answer, except to make the "table" an image and post that. Perhaps someone else knows better?

ted
30th April 2009, 01:09 PM
> 1000 club

Trigaholics Anonymous might be a more appropriate name for some of us :D

Rob - are you sure that TP:UK stats count repeat visits in the main total?
I didn't think it did anymore. I recall that Barry found and fixed a bug a
couple of years ago.

> ted 1019
including an assortment of active stations, surface blocks, Berntsens
and the like so a little way to go yet.

Visit #1000 was a very windy (but enjoyable) Murton Pike and #500 was
trig pillar S5000 on the Bowland Fells.

I too wonder what became of MickandShane - they used to post some interesting logs.

Regards
Ted

Sagina nivalis
30th April 2009, 07:48 PM
Quite a few of those names are new to me. Are they triggers who don't cache, or am I living in my own little world here? :confused:

Yes several don't post on TUK, or do so only rarely e.g. Barbara; the Littlewoods; Jon Rouse. They also do non-pillar flush brackets - big-style. If BMs counted as caches over here, several of us would be a few thousand up :) Not having any interest in opening that can of worms.

Sagina nivalis
30th April 2009, 07:53 PM
Rob - are you sure that TP:UK stats count repeat visits in the main total?
I didn't think it did anymore. I recall that Barry found and fixed a bug a
couple of years ago.

I've not studied them recently but now you mention it, you appear to be correct. Thanks!

> ted 1019
#500 was trig pillar S5000 on the Bowland Fells.

Very poetic :) Roll on #1500
Rob

Sagina nivalis
1st July 2009, 08:19 PM
I too wonder what became of MickandShane - they used to post some interesting logs.

I've just come across HEATHENS' photo (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/photos/P05494.jpg) of them, at S1718 Masson Hill (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=4688) :cool:

And I agree that that trig should have a blue smiley :D

Sagina nivalis
15th July 2009, 08:25 PM
Just musing on who will be next to 1000. Lathama currently in pole on 977, Father Ted on 934, asbown 829 but moving a little more quickly. Sweepstake, anyone :D

agentmancuso
16th July 2009, 12:01 PM
My money's on asbown. Looks like he'll be there early next spring. He was behind me not so long ago - an impressive rate of progress. I'll be happy with 600 by the end of the year myself, should I make it.

Sagina nivalis
16th July 2009, 09:55 PM
Dunno, Lathama might just do it.

Bet you a pint Bernie, to be redeemed at Ian's teach-in :beer: supposing the matter is settled by then.

agentmancuso
16th July 2009, 10:56 PM
You're on. Except that I've given up the drink altogether now, so it'll have to be a pint of Darjeeling. :coffee:

But I would be seriously interested in the proposed trig seminar, should it come around, work - or lack of it -etc allowing.

Trigpoint Bears
28th July 2009, 05:08 PM
Congratualtions on those who have reached 1000+ :applause:

Was hoping to do far more this year than I have managed, but work (a lack of it... ) has curtailed proposed trigging holidays so I'll be lucky to make number 300 this year, but that is my target :)

agentmancuso
28th July 2009, 05:18 PM
I've been concentrating more on climbing hills myself this year, which oddly perhaps, tends to lead to smaller trig counts. A few more deleted/subDonalds to do then I'll get back to it. 600 is my target for the New Year.

ted
11th October 2009, 11:19 AM
Congratulations to Lathama - Derek and Alex Latham (Father/Son) for reaching 1000 trig stations :applause:

agentmancuso
12th October 2009, 09:41 AM
Well done to them both.

Sagina nivalis
14th October 2009, 08:48 PM
Congratulations to Lathama - Derek and Alex Latham (Father/Son) for reaching 1000 trig stations :applause:

Brilliant :applause:

agentmancuso you owe me that pint of Darjeeling :cheers: Could we make it a half :eek: :D

agentmancuso
14th October 2009, 10:41 PM
agentmancuso you owe me that pint of Darjeeling

Let's call it double or quits, if I make a 1000 before I'm 40 :popcorn:

Sagina nivalis
15th October 2009, 09:49 PM
Not sure I could cope with 2 pints of Darjeeling, Bernie!

Remind me, how long before that deadline?

Ted - to confirm - Derek and Alex have both passed 1000?

agentmancuso
15th October 2009, 09:59 PM
A tad less than 4 years. Should be do-able, reckoning on 100 new trigs a year, which is pretty much the going rate for me.

trigbagger
16th October 2009, 06:12 PM
I'll be happy to have made it to 100 by the end of the year, never mind 1000. Phew, good work guys :applause:

Sagina nivalis
16th October 2009, 07:31 PM
A tad less than 4 years. Should be do-able, reckoning on 100 new trigs a year, which is pretty much the going rate for me.

Go for it - and let us know when you're next one is planned, if you fancy some company.

agentmancuso
16th October 2009, 07:59 PM
Go for it - and let us know when you're next one is planned, if you fancy some company.

Yup, I will come out of hiding to celebrate that one, most likely.

And you don't have to worry about the darjeeling either - I've abandoned that particular experiment for the time being & reverted to a steady diet of real ale & whisky. :beer:

agentmancuso
16th October 2009, 08:02 PM
I'll be happy to have made it to 100 by the end of the year, never mind 1000.

Well, as the geocaching guys are forever repeating - rather over-defensively it seems to me - it's not about the numbers. :lol:

Heading for the beconifered wasteland of the Forest of Ae tomorrow, all being well.

trigbagger
17th October 2009, 02:28 PM
No it's not about the numbers, lol. But better more is better, :socool:

I discovered the trigpointing UK website a few years ago and started logging my visits from then, although I've been hill walking for years and have always had a bit of a 'thing' for trig points so I've probably visited many more than I've logged but never made a note of the FB number or the date or taken a photo.

I added a few logs from visits in the past that I could date through dates on photos or from knowing when holidays and trips were etc. But there are loads that I can't log as I haven't a clue when I was there.

And now I'm getting older I'll probably never re-visit some of the more challenging ones to get a log date and a photo.

The good thing is that my boyfriend (we've only been together 18 months) has very recently been bitten by the trig point bug so we now have a day out once every week or two and bag a few, so I should be able to get to more then ever before, as a woman I was always a bit nervous of bagging alone as some are in quite remote areas and my ex never wanted to join in.

I'm now getting quite interesting in geocaching too, I haven't done one yet but I've discovered that there is one over the road from my parents house, so it would be rude not to go find it, lol.

Bear and Ragged
17th October 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm now getting quite interesting in geocaching too, I haven't done one yet but I've discovered that there is one over the road from my parents house, so it would be rude not to go find it, lol.
Helps if you keep the same name for caching.*
Look out for YOSM cache.
It a Grandfathered moving cache, that gets located at Trigs, bolts etc.
(It's not a cache box, it's an old Virtual cache, and can be logged as many times as you've found the different trigs!)

*Except I've changed my caching username, and TUK haven't/can't change/d it!

trigbagger
17th October 2009, 05:10 PM
I've the same username here as I have at trigpointing UK, but I've registered on geocaching.com as "siobhan and graeme" as we'll be finding them together.

I became aware of the YOSM cache just yesterday on a post by agentmancuso. I'm not too sure how a virtual cache works though, I've looked at the list of trigs/rivets/bolts etc on the YOSM website and I've already visited a few of the ones that are close to home, and could very easily do a revisit. Can they be done in any order though, or do they have to be done in a specific order, or does the cache owner nominate a location for a period of time that everyone tries to find, and then changes to another location? I don't want to screw things up by logging the wrong location at the wrong time or anything like that. Oh and seeing as it's virtual what evidence to you need to get to prove you were there?

Sorry for my complete ignorance but geocaching is all new to me. I think I've just about figured out how regular geocaching works, but I've just discovered virtual caches and there's a lot to learn. :rolleyes:

Bear and Ragged
17th October 2009, 06:30 PM
Ye Ole Survey Monuments (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=edd49da5-2eb7-47c4-bf32-853759c07cc3)

This cache will be moved around the UK and Geocachers from all areas will get a chance to log it.

You will be searching for a specific survey monument, pillar, surface block, rivet, or bolt.

The cache can be logged from previous postings.

To log a find email me the numbers that are on the monument or a description of the location and type of monument you found. You can also post pictures to the site

Please include the Name of the Monument and the YSM number with your posting on the cache page

Any order. Any time, so can be 'backdated' if you have the relevant information.
If it's listed as being/having been a YOSM it can be logged.

It's one of the few caches that can be logged more than once (Can of worms there, on the forums!). But, as it moves around, it is a different experience every time.

The cache page has a list of who has logged it and how many times.
(I've only logged it once. So far! :D)

agentmancuso
17th October 2009, 07:10 PM
I discovered the trigpointing UK website a few years ago and started logging my visits from then, although I've been hill walking for years and have always had a bit of a 'thing' for trig points so I've probably visited many more than I've logged but never made a note of the FB number or the date or taken a photo.

Similar story for me, except I'd almost always made a note of the date I'd climbed a particular hill, so it made it easy to backdate logs on T:UK once I'd discovered the site. For the handful of very old logs I just made a reasonable estimate - I can't see that it makes any difference anyway, other than for major changes in condition.

agentmancuso
17th October 2009, 07:11 PM
*Except I've changed my caching username, and TUK haven't/can't change/d it!

Intrigued: what's your T:UK handle?

It's one of the few caches that can be logged more than once (Can of worms there, on the forums!)
Give 'em hell!

More on YoSM (http://www.yosm.co.uk/) here.

Bear and Ragged
17th October 2009, 10:24 PM
Intrigued: what's your T:UK handle?

Bear and Ragged, the one cacher that used to be two cachers, known as KandG.

73 logged trigs. (900 -and a few- to go, to get to 1000!)
1 to log from Friday, found while out caching. (Like most of the found trigs!)

There's a trig not too far away from mum's house, that's been YOSM. Just waiting to find the time to bag it, trig-wise and YOSM-wise!

Might even Waymark it! :eek:

trigbagger
17th October 2009, 11:09 PM
73 logged trigs. (900 -and a few- to go, to get to 1000!)

I'm on 73 too, 1000 seems a long way away :eek:

ted
18th October 2009, 03:54 PM
Rob,

> to confirm - Derek and Alex have both passed 1000?

As I understand it, Alex logged the early trigs for 'Lathama'
and then Derek has logged most of the more recent ones.
So 1000 is the combined total, not an individual score.

Regards
Ted

Sagina nivalis
16th December 2009, 11:17 PM
Just realised my TUK total has sneaked past 6400 :cool: Every hundred is hard won these days. 7000 would presumably involve a lot of non-pillar trigs.

Who will be next to 1000 - Father Ted (977) or asbown (950)?

agentmancuso
18th December 2009, 06:07 PM
Just realised my TUK total has sneaked past 6400 :cool: Every hundred is hard won these days. 7000 would presumably involve a lot of non-pillar trigs.

Who will be next to 1000 - Father Ted (977) or asbown (950)?

Well done. I'm having difficulty arriving at a total figure for pillars, as GSAK doesn't allow filtering on the 'container' field except by standard cache sizes, and that's where 'pillar' appears. I'll work it out somehow :wacko:

I reckon asbown will be next up, as his rate of progress is pretty impressive.

Sagina nivalis
19th December 2009, 09:50 AM
I'm having difficulty arriving at a total figure for pillars, as GSAK doesn't allow filtering on the 'container' field except by standard cache sizes, and that's where 'pillar' appears. I'll work it out somehow :wacko:

I use a different database for that, which shows a pillar total of 5714 (this includes empty bases, debris etc)

I wouldn't bet against you re. Andy (not wishing to lose that hard-won cuppa :D)

agentmancuso
20th December 2009, 06:26 PM
Well done. I'm having difficulty arriving at a total figure for pillars, as GSAK doesn't allow filtering on the 'container' field except by standard cache sizes, and that's where 'pillar' appears. I'll work it out somehow :wacko:

It wasn't so hard after all - I just exported everything to a .csv file & edited.:cheers:

This gave rise to a total of 6653 pillars, including 4 hydrographic, 2 other non-OS, 32 Project Emily plus a couple of other MoD, and all known cases of pillars being farmerised, buried by motorway, replaced by nearby pillars, converted to blocks, or otherwise mucked around with.

Sagina nivalis
21st December 2009, 09:55 PM
Did (or could) this result in a file of pillars, each with its TUK status and when last found intact, by any chance? This would be way of checking for refinds / resurrections ...

agentmancuso
21st December 2009, 10:10 PM
Nearly. There's a spreadsheet in the post.

Sagina nivalis
15th March 2010, 09:18 PM

Nope its Father Ted:applause: Craig Wen (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=2506) this weekend, although asbown only needs another 8. That was almost a second cuppa you owe me Bernie :D

agentmancuso
16th March 2010, 06:20 PM
Impressive on both counts.

My total has ground to a halt recently - I've exchanged monthly runs on the local mountaineering club bus for trigging days for the time being. I'll be back down in the Borders over Easter though, so should get a few then, including that Aux at Kelso I missed last year :mad:

Pharisee
11th April 2010, 03:38 PM

I had that problem...until a very nice bloke wrote me a GSAK macro that copied the information in the 'Container' column into the 'User Data 3' column.
You can filter / sort that column easily.
Macro is HERE (http://www.whatfunnyhat.com/copycontainer.zip) if you want it.

agentmancuso
16th April 2010, 06:47 PM
That's brilliant John,

thanks a million.

Bernie

ted
6th May 2010, 12:48 PM
Andy Bown (asbown) is now past the 1000 mark
https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/images/smilies/applause.gif
http://www.trigpointinguk.com/info/view-profile.php?u=5110

Of particular interest in Andy's updates is TP4595 - M O S Eastriggs
http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=4595

Ted

Sagina nivalis
6th May 2010, 09:27 PM
Congrats to Andy for passing the thousand mark and especially for leading the way (as with Fort Southwick (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=3238)) and getting into Eastriggs :cool: A group of us got permission a year or so back but someone at a high level pulled the plug a few days before :mad: Would be nice to upgrade my distant-view tick to a closer encounter.

Coincidentally I was reading this evening in the Marilyn Hall of Fame News that Peter Collins (not on TUK AKAIK) got his 1000th trig pillar last year. These may be mostly summit trigs. I'll see if I can find more info.

Sagina nivalis
11th May 2010, 01:29 PM
Coincidentally I was reading this evening in the Marilyn Hall of Fame News that Peter Collins (not on TUK AKAIK) got his 1000th trig pillar last year. These may be mostly summit trigs. I'll see if I can find more info.

Peter advises:
My total is now about 1,052. 557 in England and Wales 495 in Scotland.
The 1,000th was Dionscourt Hill 7893.
Pillars on humps or better are 261 in England and Wales and 490 in Scotland. I followed your idea and visited all remaining columns on my local OS map 150 and then those within a 50 m radius of home. Then a series (and not visited in ascending order) from -1m,0m,1m to 304m. I may extend this in the 300m to 400m range when I have found out where they are and how many gaps there are.

Time for another 1kC update methinks.

The Crunchy Nutter
11th May 2010, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know how to format columns in posts? The software removes "spare" spaces :dunno:

Try entering the data as php code, using the php button in the post toolbar:

Figures as of 29/4/09
RobW 5547
John Friend 4307 Pillars visited
mickandshane 3024 TUK logs
iainmac 2991 Pillars visited
Rhayader_wanderer 2315 TUK logs
Barbara Jones 2154 Pillars visited
Glaslyn 2001 TUK logs
fasgadh 1673 TUK logs
Jerzy Buczak 1429 Pillars visited
Graeme Paterson 1374 Pillars visited
Pyoung1s 1327 TUK logs
Jim Cain 1312 Pillars visited
Jonathan Rouse 1157 Pillars visited
bluebeard 1078 TUK logs
Trevor Littlewood 1049 Pillars visited
Sue Littlewood 1049 Pillars visited
ted 1019 TUK logs

Of course, you'll need to format the data in word or notepad (using an equal spaced font such as courier new, before copying it into your post.

PS on most other forums, the CODE tag will do the trick - for some reason it doesn't do the job here.

Sagina nivalis
11th May 2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for that :cheers:. Here goes: 1000 club as at 10/5/10

Pillars TUK trigs gain since 13/7/09
1 peregrinus 5784 6463 237
2 John Friend 4307 0
3 Mickandshane 3024 0
4 iainmac 3057 3873 66
5 Rhayader_wanderer 2377 62
6 Barbara Jones 2235 81
7 Glaslyn 1892 2299 298
8 Fasgadh 1714 41
9 Clochandighter 1509 1573 80
10 Jerzy Buczak 1439 10
11 Pyoung1s 1438 111
12 Bluebeard 1409 331
13 James Cain 1331 19
14 Ted 1171 152
15 Jonathan Rouse 1157 0
16 Sue Littlewood 1099 50
17 Trevor Littlewood 1099 50
18 Peter Collins 1052 (new entry)
19 Lathama 1016 37
20 Father Ted 1011 77
21 Asbown 1004 181
=============================================
ocean soul 968 204
RogerTempleman 800 454
Dusty 715 220

4 new since last time, with several fast movers, especially bluebeard and Glaslyn. This time I've included TUK and Unofficial Register figures for those privileged few ;) who appear on both lists. The UR is strictly pillars which were extant at time of visit; TUK totals include FBMs, Bolts, missing trigs etc.

ocean soul looks set to be the next member unless someone else comes out of the woodwork. RogerT has been busy digging out records of visits from decades ago, including several pillars which have long since gone. Next in line is Dusty, also moving quickly.

agentmancuso
12th May 2010, 05:24 PM
I hadn't realised there were so many non T:UKers. Impressive stuff.

Sagina nivalis
12th May 2010, 09:57 PM
Indeed, although I notice I've "promoted" ted to non-TUK status :o

ted
17th May 2010, 01:18 PM
Another claimant here:
http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=4582

I wonder who it might be :confused:

agentmancuso
17th May 2010, 08:59 PM
Surprising one, that. Wonder where the other 999 logs are? :dunno:

Sagina nivalis
17th May 2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks ted. Indeed, just that one log and no contact details. Just 5 days after I started my Groundspeak thread! but no response there https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=249358&st=0&gopid=4335419&#entry4335419

agentmancuso
30th August 2010, 10:03 PM
I was reading this evening in the Marilyn Hall of Fame News that Peter Collins (not on TUK AKAIK) got his 1000th trig pillar last year. These may be mostly summit trigs. I'll see if I can find more info.

Peter has taken to recording his visits as arranc (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/info/view-profile.php?u=10382) on T:UK now, knocking me out of the top 20 (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/info/userlist.php?order=logged&sort=desc) for the first time in ages.
:eek:

Sagina nivalis
21st September 2010, 10:02 PM
I see ocean soul has also made the #1000: currently on 1046 as I write this :applause:. Looking like 23 members, and counting

Sagina nivalis
12th December 2010, 08:40 PM
23 members, and counting
Make that 24 - Norman Baxter reports a total of about 4500 found pillars :applause: He's been to all the Welsh, almost all the English and about 25% of the Scottish pillars -and counting... (He doesn't log on TUK). He's even refound one which had eluded the TUK membership: S4932 New Ville www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=5101

agentmancuso
12th December 2010, 10:05 PM
Make that 24 - Norman Baxter reports a total of about 4500 found pillars :applause: He's been to all the Welsh, almost all the English and about 25% of the Scottish pillars -and counting... (He doesn't log on TUK). He's even refound one which had eluded the TUK membership: S4932 New Ville www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=5101 (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=5101)

I'd just spotted that and updated my GSAK database accordingly; always nice when a prodigal trig reappears. How did you discover Mr Baxter?

Sagina nivalis
20th December 2010, 09:43 PM
Recently it was via asbown but it turned out I'd met him at a trig near ?Barnsley, years ago. He didn't have internet access at the time so I sent him a copy of the trigonomy database (hardcopy!) and thought no more of it. He's clearly made good use of it! and is now on email.

agentmancuso
21st December 2010, 06:01 PM
Recently it was via asbown but it turned out I'd met him at a trig near ?Barnsley, years ago. He didn't have internet access at the time so I sent him a copy of the trigonomy database (hardcopy!) and thought no more of it. He's clearly made good use of it! and is now on email.

I find it hard to imagine how people cope without email, even when they're not obsessed with concrete pillars...:confused:

agentmancuso
22nd December 2010, 05:36 PM
Another claimant here:
http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=4582

I wonder who it might be :confused:

I noticed the other logs (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/info/view-profile.php?u=10281) are now appearing :popcorn:

agentmancuso
12th January 2011, 09:52 PM
Surprising one, that. Wonder where the other 999 logs are? :dunno:

And we have it (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/info/view-profile.php?u=10281).

Sagina nivalis
9th May 2011, 09:16 PM
Currently 24 past a thousand with Dusty heading for #25 I suspect.
Norman Baxter hopes to have an accurate figure by the end of May

Pillars TUK trigs
peregrinus 5966 6561
Norman Baxter 4500 -
John Friend 4307 -
Iainmac 3082 3900
Mickandshane - 3024
Barbara Jones 2356 -
Glaslyn 2033 2460
Rhayader_wanderer - 2377
Clochandighter 1738 1803
Bluebeard - 1796
Fasgadh - 1755
Pyoung1s - 1607
Jerzy Buczak 1440 -
arranc - 1378
THE CYCLIST - 1358
James Cain 1339 -
ted - 1269
Jonathan Rouse 1159 -
Sue Littlewood 1123 -
Trevor Littlewood 1123 -
asbown - 1123
Father Ted - 1093
ocean soul - 1079
Lathama - 1069
David Bratt 951 -
Dusty - 950

Sagina nivalis
19th May 2011, 08:29 PM
Norman Baxter has duly come up with an accurate figure so here goes.

Pillars TUK trigs
peregrinus 5966 6563
Norman Baxter 4621
John Friend 4307
iainmac 3082 3900
mickandshane 3024
Barbara Jones 2370
Glaslyn 2033 2460
Rhayader_wanderer 2377
Clochandighter 1742 1807
bluebeard 1796
fasgadh 1755