PDA

View Full Version : gps to pda possiblitys??

forestferret
3rd May 2009, 11:45 PM
ok like many others i went for the option of buying the garmin topo v5 maps for my vista hcx
all i can say is how dissapointed i am withe the detail etc to the point of feeling slightly ripped off by garmin

so i got my thinking hat on and think i have come up with a solution ?
so before i commit more of my hard earned i thought i check on here first and see if its valid

my idea is to get a pda like a cheap ipaq or like and have os memory maps running on it and then connecting my vista to pda via data cable so my position will b displayed on the pda is this possible ????

i have had my vista connected to my laptop with the demo version of memory maps and it was displaying my gps possition
now its not going to be practical to go out geocaching with my laptop lol so i thought of the pda solution

what do you guys think ??:dunno:

Bear and Ragged
4th May 2009, 01:24 AM
What do I think?
1. Good Luck.

2. In my book, it should work. As you say, the GPS will show your position on the laptop.

BUT.
Does the PDA have the ability/programme/software/knowledge to communicate with/receive the information from the GPS?

I think it's something like -the laptop takes the info from the GPS, rather than the GPS sending the info to the laptop.
If that makes sense?

Just Roger
4th May 2009, 07:47 AM
It may be technically possible. I am not sure if the Vista HCx is USB or Serial interface. If it is USB it may be difficult; if serial it should be simple but you may be in danger of garroting yourself with the data cable in the field. Better to get a ppc with a built in GPSr or get a bluetooth GPSr to avoid the need for a cable.

By adding a program like Cachemate or Beeline on the ppc you can have paperless caching with the Vista HCx as backup

Mad H@ter
4th May 2009, 08:42 AM
Many moons ago I did exactly this with a 1st generation iPAQ and a Magellan Sportrak. It was connected via a serial cable and worked OK, but to be honest it was just to impractical whilst out walking and the occasional pulls on the cable did add wear and tear to the socket on the iPAQ. It was however reasonably satisfactory in the car for running some old SatNav software on the iPAQ. A far better solution is to get a bluetooth enabled iPAQ and a small cheapish bluetooth GPSr. Or even better is to have an iPAQ with GPSr built in but this will obviously be more expensive, but IMHO well worth the extra if you can afford it.

4th May 2009, 08:54 AM
The Vista HCx has a USB interface so the first problem is to find a combination of cables that will fit the PDA you choose. The second problem is getting the PDA software to use the GPSr signal from the Garmin. This will be the most difficult bit.:eek: Having said that, there might be some combination of cable/software that will work, just a case of finding it. Good luck on that one.:blink:

Not impossible though!

I agree the Garmin Topo maps ARE a ripoff, especially when you can get a free alternative which is IMHO just as good, if not better. Have a look at Openstreet maps here. (http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps) :D I've used these on my Garmin Oregon 300 with good results.

Handsyhands
4th May 2009, 09:36 AM
I had a set up which must have been similar to Mad H@ter also using an IPAQ and serial conection, but it didn't take me very long to totally wreck the connection port so I gave up on it pretty quickly. :( Having taken out a small mortgage to aquire a number of OS 25K Memory Maps, I wanted to continue using those so I now have a GPSR/WiFi/Bluetooth Mitac Mio P550 which is the business and I managed to pick up for just under £80 on evilbay and was less than the Garmin I had budgeted for. :) I'm not sure what your definition of cheap is, but with patience you can nab a GPSR enabled PDA like the Mitac Mio 168 or Acer N35 for as little as £25 on evilbay.

forestferret
5th May 2009, 05:31 PM
ok thanks guys for the ideas advice :cheers::cheers:

now my brain is :wacko:

ok it might be possibly to do but would be impractical and arwkward to achive

so i think maybe it might be a better idea to trade my vista in for one of the new os equiped garmins like the oragon /colorado ??? as i know or understand that they use os licenecd maps wich should in theory has all the rights of way /footpaths included ?

many thanks again :socool:

Just Roger
6th May 2009, 06:29 AM
ok thanks guys for the ideas advice :cheers::cheers:

now my brain is :wacko:

ok it might be possibly to do but would be impractical and arwkward to achive

so i think maybe it might be a better idea to trade my vista in for one of the new os equiped garmins like the oragon /colorado ??? as i know or understand that they use os licenecd maps wich should in theory has all the rights of way /footpaths included ?

many thanks again :socool:

Yes ---BUT...

Garmin OS coverage is currently very limited. See This Thread (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1992)

nobbynobbs
6th May 2009, 06:33 AM
i've a basic ipaq and a garmin map 60c. i bought a serial connector and found it ok to use so that my location shows on memory map. but still prefer to use the actual navigation on the garmin.

there are also bluetooth gps units the send the gps location to the ipaq. easy to use and set up. and nowhere near as expensive. plus they are the newer sirf iii chipsets.