PDA

View Full Version : my head hurts choices choices

forestferret
10th May 2009, 01:19 AM
ok finally made my mind up time to trade in my vista hcx
now here is the hard part ive been looking at the garmin oregon 300 or the satmap active 10 units but thought it best to ask the experts first

what draws me to the satmap is the os mapping and you can get the whole of uk on sd card but how is the paperless caching on it ???

then you have the oregon unit some os mapping avalable more to come i expect ?? its a garmin unit so i know it will do its job well get sat fix quick no loss of signal under trees cover etc

what dou you guys/gals think ????

Bear and Ragged
10th May 2009, 12:15 PM
You've said it.

Maps = Satmap
Caching = Oregon

Keep doing the lottery numbers, and get both! :lol:

I use a mish-mash: PDA with Memory Map, paper map, 60CXs with GSAK macro to get the hints/cache description, and sometimes a printout of the caches of the day!

forestferret
10th May 2009, 01:33 PM
thanks bear mate :cheers:
guess i did say it now ive had a sleep and a break from looking at gps
my heads clearer now
i think im going to go with the active 10 as i like the idea of all the os mapping and it offers me a lot of choice or areas to and now with the updates i can still geocache with it (gpx files ) but it offers me a more freindly mtb unit as i can see all the rights of way etc

imho if garmin sorted out there mapping they would dominate the market but to be honest i really think there maps suck and are missing too much valuble info but like i said that is just my personal opinion i dont wish to offend anybody

10th May 2009, 02:54 PM
imho if garmin sorted out there mapping they would dominate the market but to be honest i really think there maps suck and are missing too much valuble info but like i said that is just my personal opinion i dont wish to offend anybody

You've hit the nail on the head - spot on!:applause:

Cherianda
10th May 2009, 05:40 PM
I have just bought a Vista HCx or whatever! Its great! What's wrong with using it in conjunction with an OS Map and a compass!:D

forestferret
12th May 2009, 05:28 PM
I have just bought a Vista HCx or whatever! Its great! What's wrong with using it in conjunction with an OS Map and a compass!:D

nothing at all unless if you cant use a paper map and compass like me :o
and im also a gadget freek lol :dunno: