PDA

View Full Version : A sad farewell.....

Ashandes
9th November 2003, 08:49 PM
After a reported did not find, NattyBooshka checked it out for us as they were in the area and found that the first cache we placed (Fairly Tame) is missing in action. It was well stocked with an "official" log book and a waterproof disposable camera etc. Something we'd spent a lot of time (and a bit of money) creating. It's sad to see this happen, but we both accept the fact that it's part of the game.

The cache was in such a nice location that we will replace it with another in the same park at some point.

My question, and main reason for posting, is....

Is it acceptable to archive this cache and place a new one nearby as a new cache (to give those who have already been a chance to revisit)? Or is it standard practice to place a new cache under the same entry as a continuance of the one that went missing.

Teasel
9th November 2003, 08:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the demise of your cache :(

I've seen both replacement, and archival followed by recreation work well. I'd say it depends on whether the new location is sufficiently different that you want people who found the first one to come back again (in which case, archive and recreate), or whether you're just moving it to an adjacent rock/tree (in which case just make it temporarily unavailable 'till you get the chance to replace it).

Bill D (wwh)
9th November 2003, 09:38 PM
I agree with Teasel. If the replacement is a new experience (new route, container some distance away, different hunt, or whatever) then make it a completely new cache. If it's essentially the same cache as before with just a slightly different hiding place then use the same cache page.

Sorry to hear you lost the cache. I recently archived my only micro when it was stolen for the second time in two months.

Ashandes
9th November 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh)@Nov 9 2003, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear you lost the cache. I recently archived my only micro when it was stolen for the second time in two months.
People just don't make sense sometimes. What's the point of stealing a micro?

Nothing annoys me more than people who act like ******* for no other reason than the fact that they can. Our cache had some nice stuff in it, so if some kid found it, I can understand them giving in to temptation and nicking it... it's not nice, but at least there is a reason behind it. But a micro! Grrrr.

And thanks both for the advice. We'll probably do it as a new one. There are a few tracks around the area so some exploring may be in order ;)

John Stead
9th November 2003, 10:41 PM
I add my sympathy at your loss and share your disgust at the behaviour of people. I eventually gave up my first cache after two replacements and set a virtual nearby as a new cache. On the other hand my second cache also "disappeared" twice but is now in its third location and has now survived (as a micro) for a year or more. But I have found that if you move the location of a cache for more than a certain distance (presumably the magic 0.1 mile) GC.Com question it - it happened with me when I published the wrong coordinates on a new cache but happily Eckington was able to sort it out for me, another of the good things to come out of Farewell to Summer!

NattyBooshka
10th November 2003, 10:31 AM
We were gutted when we found that this one was gone... it's a nice area for a cache and we look forward to it being replaced... but as it was also a very well stocked cache, we have a lot of sympathy to Ash and Es who put more than the average ammount of money into this one. :(

Deego
10th November 2003, 11:54 PM
Its Not nice when they go missing. I have just replaced a micro thats gone missing after only being there for a few weeks. :angry: just hope its not the start of things to come.

The Cuthberts
12th November 2003, 12:03 PM
I suppose that the Groundspeak stones are quite attractive for other uses which is why we lost one of ours. Sorry to hear of the loss of your cache. We have just moved one of ours but moved it a bit further away as we couldn't decide on the archive/continue issue. :blink:

Andy