PDA

View Full Version : The history of the retriangulation of Great Britain 1935-1962

sebastiencale
24th August 2009, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know how to get hold of a copy of The history of the retriangulation of Great Britain 1935-1962, and whether it's an interesting read?

agentmancuso
24th August 2009, 10:50 PM
I've had a copy on 'marketplace pre-order' with Amazon for a while, but nothing has turned up yet. :dunno:

j.i.wilson
25th August 2009, 08:02 AM
I can confirm that the book is a very interesting read for someone interested in where the pillars and other miscellany came from. It is a very comprehensive account of how we got the current mapping datum.

However - where to get it?

I know OS have at least two copies in their library - but I don't think they allow public access - in any case - they are based in Southampton. Some libraries will have it in the reference section. The British Libraray will have a copy as will the Scottish equivalent.

It's definitley not for sale anywhere - unless one appears on Ebay (unlikely)

It consists of several volumes as the diagrams are published separately - total of 3 volumes I think. Its also large format - about A3.

j.i.wilson
25th August 2009, 08:07 AM
I should have added

There is very little (if anything) about FBMs and bench marks in general in the publication. This is because in GB we have a 2D plus 1D mapping datum - it's not true 3D (OSNet is - but that's not the mapping datum). Hence the horizontal (trigs et al) are dealt with seprarately to the vertical datums of which there are 8 (from memory).

I am not aware of an equivalent publication for the vertical datum.

agentmancuso
25th August 2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks Ian. I always have a check when I'm in second-hand bookshops or PBFA fairs, but more in hope than expectation. Now at least I know what I'm looking for. :lol:

Sagina nivalis
25th August 2009, 09:35 PM
I have a vague recollection that someone had a copy years back and extracts were posted on a website somewhere. A search in the trigonomy message archive may (or may not) turn up something useful.

Rob

j.i.wilson
25th August 2009, 10:59 PM
And

There is another book entitled An Acount of the Principal Triangulation of GB

Now this is rare.

It contains full details of the original triangulation carried out in the 19th century.

Eleven of the stations are coincident with OSGB36

Of course many of the same sites (not marks) were also incorporated.

There were no pillars in this triangulation.

Scale was provided by the Hounslow Heath Base. One end of which (west I think) was marked by a cannon. This still exists near Heathrow airport.

If you cannot find one account - one might as well not find both :)

Ian

agentmancuso
25th August 2009, 11:15 PM
I wasn't aware of that title at all - is it this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Account-Observations-Calculations-Principal-Triangulation/dp/B001M9IFPA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251238420&sr=1-4) one maybe?

j.i.wilson
26th August 2009, 07:29 AM
Looks like it - certainly Clarke could be one of the Authors

Amazed that Amazon has it listed - even if not in stock!

Ian

agentmancuso
26th August 2009, 08:51 PM
I've ordered a copy, just as a matter of principle.

agentmancuso
26th August 2009, 09:43 PM
I have a vague recollection that someone had a copy years back and extracts were posted on a website somewhere. A search in the trigonomy message archive may (or may not) turn up something useful.
Rob

Well remembered Rob, Jack Russell put some extracted info on trigonomy (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trigonomy/files/History/) years ago.

And more here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trigonomy/files/Historical%20documents/).

sebastiencale
17th September 2009, 04:43 PM
Found it! I've just moved jobs to the University of Bristol and it's in one of our library stores, so as soon as I've finished my PhD thesis I'm going to request it and read it as a reward!

agentmancuso
17th September 2009, 05:21 PM
Well done. Not doing your doctorate on trigonomy by any chance? :ohmy: