PDA

View Full Version : General help

TaureanTrackers
27th December 2003, 11:36 PM
:unsure: We're new to caching but love what we've done so far (one with a friend, our first on our own today!) Now I have to show my ignorance. I'm looking at a multi cache and it refers to using a Caesar cipher. Please, what is that? :huh:

By the way, Happy New Year ^_^

The Wombles
28th December 2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by TaureanTrackers@Dec 27 2003, 11:36 PM
:unsure: We're new to caching but love what we've done so far (one with a friend, our first on our own today!) Now I have to show my ignorance. I'm looking at a multi cache and it refers to using a Caesar cipher. Please, what is that? :huh:

By the way, Happy New Year ^_^

A Caesar cipher is one where the letters of the alphabet are shifted along. For example, the standard "hint" ciper on Geocaching.com is a Caesar ciper using a shift of 13 letters (A = N). The term Caesar shift refers to moving the letters according to this shift principle rather than shifting those letters by any particular number, so you'll still need to know how many letters to shift by.

Apparently the Caesar ciper was first used by Julius Caesar to communicate with his army in code.

And a very happy caching New Year to you too!

TaureanTrackers
28th December 2003, 05:49 PM
:D thanks wombles, that's really helpful. I've now just to find the number to shift by! I'll get there!

Seen your name on a few caches in our area; you obviously travel a bit. Maybe see you around.

Thanks again.

TaureanTrackers :P

BugznElm'r
29th December 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by The Wombles@Dec 28 2003, 12:01 AM
For example, the standard "hint" ciper on Geocaching.com is a Caesar ciper using a shift of 13 letters (A = N).
This is also known as ROT13 ... used to be common in email and newsgroup programs years back as a way to seal something that could be deemed unsuitable, off color, offensive or just a spoiler.
The main advantage of ROT13 is that it is self-inverse, meaning that the same code can be used for encoding and decoding.

Kelgrath
30th December 2003, 11:47 AM
If (like me) you're to lazy to either decode it yourself or write your own, try something like rot13.com (http://www.rot13.com/). I find it quite useful.

TaureanTrackers
30th December 2003, 09:25 PM
:D Thank you, BugznElm'r and Kelgrath both for your help. I've visited rot13.com; it's fascinating. Just need them to develop a decipher which number can change from 13 (or do they already? I've only just made a quick visit but I'll be back there). Typical of my luck, the key on my cache was 5 but, while waiting for an opportunity to go and find that, I did a table for all possibilities so I'm ready for anything now!

I didn't realise when discovering geocaching that it would open up all sorts of areas in which I'd further my education. Thanks guys!

Happy New Year :)