PDA

View Full Version : Can some one help me please?

trigbagger
7th October 2009, 05:05 PM
Can someone give me some advice regarding a Tom Tom file I downloaded from TrigpointingUK.

I'm having trouble installing it, I'm not really sure how to do it so if anyone could offer some advice I'd be really grateful.

Bear and Ragged
7th October 2009, 10:38 PM
Downloaded since

15/07/09 - TomTom download problem fixed. I think! Please let me know if any problems remain / recur.
Which/what TomTom?

You should have two files, on OV2 and a Bitmap file.*
Both need to be copied/installed into the map folder of you TomTom.

*If you've downloaded the personalised file, you will have 4 files, 2 logged, and 2 not logged.
1 logged OV2
1 logged bitmap image
1 not logged OV2
1 not logged bitmap image

trigbagger
7th October 2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for your speedy reply.

It's a Tom Tom 720. I have the two files, just wasn't sure exactly how to install them, I did connect the Tom Tom and copy them to it, maybe I didn't copy them to the correct location.

So if I find the map folder I just need to paste them in there, is that all?

Bear and Ragged
7th October 2009, 11:04 PM
Yep.
Depends on which map/maps you have.
Uk
UK and Ireland etc.
Copy the files into that folder, they should show up as POI's.

trigbagger
8th October 2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks for that, I'll have another go tomorrow :)

trigbagger
8th October 2009, 09:48 PM
Brilliant, it's working now. Thanks for your help :)

Bear and Ragged
8th October 2009, 11:11 PM
:socool:

agentmancuso
10th October 2009, 05:08 PM
Can someone give me some advice regarding a Tom Tom file I downloaded from TrigpointingUK.

If you're looking for a more comprehensive trig point POI file, you'll find the link to one in my signature.

trigbagger
16th October 2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for that, I've just downloaded it. I used the other one for the first time over two days earlier this week and it did the business no problem at all, but if yours is more comprehensive I'll certainly use that one next time.

Thanks again

Siobhan

Sagina nivalis
16th October 2009, 07:29 PM
If you're looking for a more comprehensive trig point POI file, you'll find the link to one in my signature.

I can certainly recommend these, although a personalised TUK file, highlighting just the ones you need, could have attractions. I've never tried these.

agentmancuso
16th October 2009, 08:06 PM
a personalised TUK file, highlighting just the ones you need, could have attractions.

This could be done quite easily, with the caveat that only items already on T:UK would be listed. And just pillars, if you prefer.

agentmancuso
16th October 2009, 08:31 PM
if yours is more comprehensive

Primarily, it will tell you if the pillar is missing, or where the remains lie. It also contains a fair amount of status information such as condition, FB number, major access issues, plus a few hundred miscellaneous items that aren't on T:UK yet, such as Active Stations, Passive Stations, other low-order Trig Marks of interest such as Curry Stools & Concrete Rings. And of course, the infamous Phantom Trigs :eek:

On the other hand it doesn't contain stuff I left out for one reason or another, generally because they shouldn't really be on T:UK at all, such as benchmarks. :mad: Oh, and Ireland I haven't touched either, as the T:UK data is too messy.

trigbagger
17th October 2009, 02:12 PM
How do I get to view this extra info such as the status, condition, FB number and access issues? Is it viewable from the satnav itself? I've only just bought a satnav, I've relied on a road map for years lol, so I'm only just getting the hang of using it and I can't seem to see where this info is. Or is it only available if downloaded as a GPS file rather than for the tomtom. :confused:

agentmancuso
17th October 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, as I've never used a car satnav before. On my Garmin etrex the extra info appears on the screen below the trig name when you select the individual POI.

I'm not sure which format you have downloaded? If it's a .csv file then you can just open it up with excel or notepad if you want to have a look at the details.

trigbagger
17th October 2009, 07:35 PM
Right thanks, I haven't downloaded it for GPS yet as I haven't a clue where either of our PC cables are, lol. My GPS is a 15 year old Garmin and I doubt it will support the files, however Graemes is a much newer one, his is a Garmin Etrex too so if I find the cable I should be able to see it on that. :)

agentmancuso
17th October 2009, 07:57 PM
Right thanks, I haven't downloaded it for GPS yet as I haven't a clue where either of our PC cables are, lol. My GPS is a 15 year old Garmin and I doubt it will support the files, however Graemes is a much newer one, his is a Garmin Etrex too so if I find the cable I should be able to see it on that. :)

Sorted. Let me know if you've any trouble loading it.

trigbagger
17th October 2009, 08:47 PM
Will do thanks, however I suspect that finding the cable will give me the most trouble, lol. We haven't seen it for ages and there has been a house move since then, it'll probably be quicker to buy a new one. :D