PDA

View Full Version : S3090 Hillwood

agentmancuso
12th October 2009, 12:11 PM
Another sudden & unexpected casualty (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=3937).

Bear and Ragged
12th October 2009, 07:16 PM
:(

Ryuchan
12th October 2009, 09:09 PM
Another sudden & unexpected casualty (http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/trig-details.php?t=3937).

how does that happen? Is it like the farmer is annoyed with it and just removes it or something? Can they just do that?

sorry, trignoob here, no idea whats legal and not but eager to find out.

agentmancuso
12th October 2009, 09:18 PM
how does that happen? Is it like the farmer is annoyed with it and just removes it or something? Can they just do that?

sorry, trignoob here, no idea whats legal and not but eager to find out.

Many sudden extinctions do occur at the hands of rogue farmers unfortunately. In some cases it is understandable, such as when the trig sits in the middle of a ploughed field and gets in the way of tractors. But where it stands on top of a knoll in a pasture field surrounded by trees & boulders, as with Hillwood, then it's difficult to know quite why the pillar has been destroyed.

In theory pillars are government property, and so damaging one can probably land you in the Tower of London or whatever, but in practice the OS generally did acquiesce whenever the landowner asked permission to remove a pillar.

Bear and Ragged
12th October 2009, 10:12 PM
Farmer getting fed up of too many people visiting it?

How far down has he dug, as I understand it, trig pillars go down quite a way...

agentmancuso
12th October 2009, 10:55 PM
Farmer getting fed up of too many people visiting it?

How far down has he dug, as I understand it, trig pillars go down quite a way...

According to T:UK the pillar was visited by about two people a year; I know there are some trig baggers who don't log on T:UK, but there can't be that many. In any case, the pillar was both remote from any buildings and close to a RoW, so it's reasonable to assume that very few visitors were ever observed.

Yes, there is a couple of feet of concrete below the pillar. Not the sort of thing a sane person would dig out with a trowel - usually dragging by tractor seems to be the favoured m.o.

Ryuchan
12th October 2009, 11:01 PM
Many sudden extinctions do occur at the hands of rogue farmers unfortunately. In some cases it is understandable, such as when the trig sits in the middle of a ploughed field and gets in the way of tractors. But where it stands on top of a knoll in a pasture field surrounded by trees & boulders, as with Hillwood, then it's difficult to know quite why the pillar has been destroyed.

In theory pillars are government property, and so damaging one can probably land you in the Tower of London or whatever, but in practice the OS generally did acquiesce whenever the landowner asked permission to remove a pillar.

lordy, what a waste

agentmancuso
12th October 2009, 11:04 PM
lordy, what a waste

Well, in a sense, yes. But the network is now obsolete, and even those few pillars that were converted to passive stations will soon be out of a job again.

Ryuchan
13th October 2009, 12:03 AM
Well, in a sense, yes. But the network is now obsolete, and even those few pillars that were converted to passive stations will soon be out of a job again.

still heritage in a sense tho, at least how I percieve it :(

it might not be obvious now, but still...

agentmancuso
13th October 2009, 01:04 AM
still heritage in a sense tho, at least how I percieve it :(

Absolutely right, of course. But try explaining 'heritage' to some pitchfork-wielding redneck intent on smashing up a pillar...:dunno:

trigbagger
16th October 2009, 06:06 PM
This really saddens me, I wish there was an easy way of rescuing and re-siting them, Mind you if there was I'd probably have a garden full of them, lol.

It's a pity the OS haven't protected them from this sort of action, purely from a historical point of view. I think they are historically quite important and it's such a shame to see their demise. I doubt many people agree, even the OS, and while there are still thousands of them it may not seem a big issue to them, but every one that vanishes is one reminder less of such an important part of the history of mapping.

Well that's my opinion anyway, lol.