PDA

View Full Version : Free OS Maps for Garmins??

Matthew 7:7 Too
18th November 2009, 07:03 PM
According to the BBC, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8366190.stm) Ordinance Survey maps will be freely available on line next year.

As the latest Garmin software for Oregons & Colorados will let you add your own custom maps, does this really mean we will be able to add our own local OS maps for free????

If so, it sure beats paying £80 for a National Park map!

Chris

ivanidea
19th November 2009, 12:31 PM
Unfortuanely, freely available online does not mean providing wholesale data for commercial use (I would like to be wrong though).

Matthew 7:7 Too
19th November 2009, 04:00 PM
But downloading my local OS map and saving it as a custom map on my Garmin does not constitute commercial use! So we could all create our own maps at no cost.

This view is also supported by similar threads on the GC.com UK forum.

Chris

ivanidea
20th November 2009, 11:36 AM
It is good to have the choice of having the hassle of creating a free OS map for supported GPS units, such as the Colorado and Oregon, or paying loads of money to Garmin (who still have to pay a licence fee) for the plug and play option.

One of the reasons why I am thinking of buying an Oregon is due to the support of using custom maps. I have seen it working on the Colorado. It's not perfect, and is a PITA to create, but certainly has great potential. Free mapping is good, even though OS is not always as accurate as people think.