PDA

View Full Version : new to Geocaching, has anyone used the iPhone app?

JuliaMumford
28th November 2009, 07:04 PM
Hi there,
I am a newbie to geocaching after reading the article in the Camping & Carvanning mag last week.

I downloaded the iPhone app called Geoaching, but have actually only found 2/4 caches to date and its a tad frustrating.

Is it me, because I am new, or is it the iPhone? (3GS).

Help? I dont want to give up, but neither do I want to spend 3hrs searching for nothing!

Thanks you

Just Roger
28th November 2009, 08:24 PM
Hi Julia, welcome to the addiction. If you don't want to be caught - get out now while there is still time.

Seriously though, I dont know anything about the iPhone app but a very comon reason for newbies and even oldies, failing to find caches is having their GPSr set to the wrong datum. All caches as set using the WGS84 datum. If yours is set to something different, OSGB (Ordinance survey) for example you can be up to a few hundred yards adrift depending on where in the country you are.

The other reason is that you need to develop your 'cachers eye' and see things that are not quite right. (Is that heap of sticks/rocks natural or is it rather arranged?)

I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows more about the iPhone and can tell you how to check the datum.

Good luck

Bill D (wwh)
28th November 2009, 08:40 PM
What Just Roger said.

Also, you've probably noticed that caches are graded for difficulty - x number of stars out of five. Choose easy ones - 1 or 2. Avoid micros (tiny containers) and go for decent-sized boxes. And choose caches that have a hint which you can use if you need help.

Enjoy! :)

Bear and Ragged
28th November 2009, 11:47 PM
Welcome!
As Just Roger and Bill say, start with the lower Difficulty/Terrain caches, and avoid the Micro/Nano caches to start with.

You'll son start to get "Cachers Eye" for where the caches are.

nobbynobbs
29th November 2009, 06:24 AM
Another idea might be to do a search for any events that might be happening near you. Then you can go along and chat with other cachers, the chances are there will be some caches to do on the day and you could go out with some others.

It'll make sure that you've got the gps setting correct and help you learn how to spot caches.