PDA

View Full Version : Cache permission letter

Happy Humphrey
2nd January 2010, 10:44 AM
See https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=852.

It generally looks a good approach, but has anyone considered that some land managers might be sympathetic to the game in general, except the part about 3 litre containers with swaps inside? I was wondering whether it would be worth adding something to suggest that the size and contents are negotiable. There's no mention (for instance) than many caches are no bigger than a pebble. As we've seen, the land manager doesn't always give the reasons for refusing permission (not the REAL reasons, anyway), so this might never been stated as an issue officially but could tip the balance in favour of an agreement.

I know that some people would be disappointed if an area only had micros to find, but this type of cache is much more low-impact environmentally (from the point of view of the actual hiding place). Also, it's much easier to create caches which don't involve leaving the footpath at all. Plus, there's not the suspicion that there could be dubious items inside the cache (sharp or poisonous items or those that attract wildlife).

So, rather than have an area where caches are banned because the landowner has decided that he doesn't want 3 litre plastic containers full of tat scattered about, we could at least have some geocaching. The reviewers would find it easy to police too, as there would be a known ban on non-micro caches. And perhaps eventually, a few larger caches could be negotiated once the landowner has seen a lack of geocaching-related problems.

Thoughts?

The Wombles
2nd January 2010, 05:50 PM
Happy to add something to the effect that "caches are often as small as a thimble and can be smaller". Would this cover it?

gazooks
2nd January 2010, 06:05 PM
Happy to add something to the effect that "caches are often as small as a thimble and can be smaller". Would this cover it?

Would it be better to say "caches are often as small as a film canister and can be smaller".

Bear and Ragged
2nd January 2010, 07:02 PM
"Caches come in various sizes, the larger ones can be ammo can sized, and can be as small as a film can -or even smaller"

The smaller the cache can see more damage around the hiding place than a larger cache... eg easier to find a 'small' box than a nano sized cache. (Especially if it's in "An ivy covered tree")

But, in principle, maybe the wording does need to be reviewed.

nobbynobbs
2nd January 2010, 07:26 PM
Could we not just leave out that sentence? Would that not make it easier?

The Wombles
2nd January 2010, 08:16 PM
The sentence was included because a non-cacher may not understand what people are looking for.

I'm happy with the other variations.

nobbynobbs
3rd January 2010, 07:15 AM
Makes sense.
Then could be ,
The cache will be a clearly marked, water proof container which can vary in proportions from thimble size to an ammo box.

Happy Humphrey
3rd January 2010, 12:11 PM
So it still makes sense, you'd have to make it clear that microcaches don't contain swaps.
Also, I'd avoid the use of the term "ammo box" as that could lead to some additional worries, unless the exact usage was explained. It has overtones of paramilitary types crawling furtively about, and may cause concerns about people calling out the bomb squad.

Perhaps "thimble size" isn't exactly ideal either; many are smaller than that (nanos being quite common now), and I suspect that some people aren't familiar with the thimble!

I'd suggest something like;

Typical cache containers range from tiny ones the size of a fingernail, through tubes and cylinders with room just for a small pencil and log sheet, up to plastic or metal boxes with space for several "swap" items and a log book.

gazooks
3rd January 2010, 04:09 PM
Typical cache containers range from tiny ones the size of a fingernail, through tubes and cylinders with room just for a small pencil and log sheet, up to plastic or metal boxes with space for several "swap" items and a log book.[/I]

I like this one. :socool:

Bill D (wwh)
3rd January 2010, 04:51 PM
So it still makes sense, you'd have to make it clear that microcaches don't contain swaps.
Also, I'd avoid the use of the term "ammo box" as that could lead to some additional worries, unless the exact usage was explained. It has overtones of paramilitary types crawling furtively about, and may cause concerns about people calling out the bomb squad.

Perhaps "thimble size" isn't exactly ideal either; many are smaller than that (nanos being quite common now), and I suspect that some people aren't familiar with the thimble!

I'd suggest something like;

Typical cache containers range from tiny ones the size of a fingernail, through tubes and cylinders with room just for a small pencil and log sheet, up to plastic or metal boxes with space for several "swap" items and a log book.

That all sounds good to me! :)

The Wombles
6th January 2010, 09:06 PM
Done.

sumansameer
10th May 2010, 05:47 AM
impressive thanks for sharing this

TheMidge
18th June 2010, 12:15 PM
I like this one. :socool: One of our local caches is a quarry face that is about 200m long.