PDA

View Full Version : GAGB Constitution

paul.blitz
9th February 2004, 09:00 PM
**If you wish to vote, then DO NOT look at the results BEFORE you vote!! **

(if you view the results first, then you will NOT be able to vote!!! You have been warned!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can read the proposed GAGB constitution HERE (http://homepages.enterprise.net/paul0blitz/GAGB/new%20Constitution%203.htm)

The vote will close at approx 9pm on Monday 16th February 2004 (next Monday). In keeping with the need noted within this constitution for a 2/3 majority to make changes to the constitution, I think it only right that we ask members to give a 2/3 majority of votes cast to ACCEPT this constitution.

Anyone who joined GAGB before last Monday (2nd February) should be able to vote: if you have problems, please contact me and I'll try and sort out the problem.

Feel free to continue the discussion on the constitution over in the "General" forum whilst the voting takes place.

Paul Blitz
GAGB Committee

MCL
13th February 2004, 01:59 AM
This is such an important vote that maybe this once, you should consider doing an email to every registered member just to alert them to the existence of the poll, because it seems a lot of our members are probably not even aware that the vote is going on.

We have 300ish members and one tenth have cast a vote? :(

seifer
13th February 2004, 03:38 PM
But there are only say 30 or so "active" membvers on the forum, a lot of those 300 users have never posted. I'm not saying they should be disallowed a vote, just making a point.

BTW: If any of the committee want to do this there is a mass email feature in the IPB Admin CP

BugznElm'r
13th February 2004, 04:49 PM
The numbers are low but I wonderif this is mainly because the GAGBis seen by many to be too political ...

I'm wondering if perhaps adding more forums is the trick ... the general forum is, well, too general. maybe we need top break down the forums better and have perhaps caching tips forum, caches forum, news, and a specific GAGB politics forum. That way we could encourage more diverse discussion and have more caching talk!

Just an idea ...

LoisInTheForest
13th February 2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MCL@Feb 13 2004, 01:59 AM
This is such an important vote that maybe this once, you should consider doing an email to every registered member just to alert them to the existence of the poll ....
I agree with this - it seems a great shame that, after an enormous amount of hard work and emotive discussion, only 26 people have voted :(

Moss Trooper
13th February 2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by seifer@Feb 13 2004, 03:38 PM
But there are only say 30 or so "active" membvers on the forum, a lot of those 300 users have never posted. I'm not saying they should be disallowed a vote, just making a point.

BTW: If any of the committee want to do this there is a mass email feature in the IPB Admin CP
We have nigh on 400 members.. active or not.. they have the right to vote and should be informed of that right.

NattyBooshka
14th February 2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Moss Trooper+Feb 13 2004, 11:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Moss Trooper &#064; Feb 13 2004, 11:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-seifer@Feb 13 2004, 03:38 PM
But there are only say 30 or so "active" membvers on the forum, a lot of those 300 users have never posted. I&#39;m not saying they should be disallowed a vote, just making a point.

We have nigh on 400 members.. active or not.. they have the right to vote and should be informed of that right. [/b][/quote]
Yes indeed... "Active" should not be defined by being active on the forum, there are a great deal of cachers out there that use neither forum, but for whom we profess to speak... if they have joined, they deserve a vote and deserve to know that in 2 days time a constitution may be ratified without them knowing it even existed.

I believe that ALL issues requiring a vote from the membership should not be valid unless ALL members are informed that the vote is happening.

paul.admin
14th February 2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by MCL@Feb 13 2004, 01:59 AM
This is such an important vote that maybe this once, you should consider doing an email to every registered member just to alert them to the existence of the poll, because it seems a lot of our members are probably not even aware that the vote is going on.

Yes, that is a VERY fair comment, and I think you are correct.

Hopefully, by the time you read this, you will have receieved a copy of an email from the GAGB, informing members of the vote. (well, assuming it all worked&#33;&#33;&#33;)

Paul (with his admin hat on&#33;)

NattyBooshka
14th February 2004, 01:00 PM
Got it&#33; Thanks very much

Dean&amp;Abi
14th February 2004, 01:12 PM
Hiya,

Got the broadcast e-mail. I must admit, I have not logged on it a while as I thought that the GAGB had hit a bit of an impasse the last time that I looked and it appeared it was going to be disbanded. I&#39;m sure there are more out there who thought the same&#33;

Having a quick look through the constitution, looks okay - only one small query - the disband vote need 2/3 majority, but in the powers section there is the following.

2. Power subject to any consents required by law to sell, lease or dispose of all or any part of the property of the GAGB.

Feels that this should also be put to a vote?

Cheers,

Dean(&Abi)

Ecky
14th February 2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the email. I&#39;ve just read the Constitution and voted.

Just because I&#39;m not active on the forum doesn&#39;t mean I don&#39;t care.

I&#39;m more than grateful for all the work the GAGB is putting in to make geocaching working in the UK.

I just don&#39;t seem to have the time to get actively involved, or follow the forum.
I&#39;d rather spend the precious spare time out finding the caches than discussing them.
I&#39;m really grateful for the ones who put in their time and effort into the GAGB.

Thank you very very much for all the hard work.

TaureanTrackers
14th February 2004, 05:29 PM
I agree with Ecky. I&#39;m as active a cacher as I can be at the moment. Should I have any more spare time, it would be put into more seeking and eventually laying, not sitting at the computer

I am not a classic &#39;sit back and let others do it while I benefit&#39; type I have spent my life being a committed member of many organisations, always being actively involved and, more often than not, becoming heavily involved in the organisation. I decided that this was to be one hobby purely to enjoy; to let others with younger minds and legs take the strain. This should not imply that I don&#39;t care.

I come into the site occasionally and read at forum. I&#39;m not always inspired to write a comment and let the world know that I was there. It doesn&#39;t mean I don&#39;t care.

I don&#39;t have as much time as I would like to go geocaching or to visit the web site. That should not imply that I am apparently &#39;inactive&#39; and don&#39;t care.

Thank you for letting me know there was a particularly important issue. Inactive or not, I wish to participate in something as fundemental as this.

To those suggesting that those more quiet of us, who don&#39;t regularly post at forum, should basically &#39;suck it & see,&#39; please remember that many of us have other lives out there and can&#39;t always put in as much as you. It doesn&#39;t mean we don&#39;t care&#33;&#33;&#33;

Do you think that everyone will now realise that I do care&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;? I&#39;m now going to vote.

Keep up the good work with this site and, if it&#39;s not a huge hassle, please keep us informed of major issues.

Taurean Tracker :)

Lassitude
14th February 2004, 06:16 PM
I have just voted. I do not have time to follow all 4 of the UK Geocaching Forums and up until a while ago this forum was pretty quiet. Anyway the Email reminding me to vote did the trick.

Thanks

Chris

bill5439
14th February 2004, 09:14 PM
yep email worked.......but like dean & abi.thought with all the talk that the site had or was about to be disbanded..........so havent visited in a while.........glad to be back amongst the fold....happy geo cacheing guys and gals and kids and pets......

Jilly &amp; Gray
15th February 2004, 01:04 PM
Just voted - nice to see the GAGB up and running. One little comment re the Constitution - reference to ChairMAN - could be altered to ChairPERSON - let&#39;s have some equality here&#33;

All our best wishes to the five brave folks making up the first Committee - will watch this space. ;)

paul.blitz
15th February 2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Jilly & Gray@Feb 15 2004, 01:04 PM
Just voted - nice to see the GAGB up and running. One little comment re the Constitution - reference to ChairMAN - could be altered to ChairPERSON - let&#39;s have some equality here&#33;

All our best wishes to the five brave folks making up the first Committee - will watch this space. ;)
Chairman IS indeed the correct term, and under the Sexual Equalities Act, all references to "he / his / him" apply equally to mean "she / her", and so need not be spelt out.

Now, if you&#39;ll excuse me, I have to go & repair a "personhole cover" :-)

And thanks from us all for your best wishes&#33;

paul

paul.blitz
15th February 2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Dean&Abi@Feb 14 2004, 01:12 PM

Got the broadcast e-mail

looks like a lot of peopl did, and have taken action: that vote has approximately DOUBLED&#33; Thank you all for taking the time to come & vote&#33;

...but in the powers section there is the following.

2. Power subject to any consents required by law to sell, lease or dispose of all or any part of the property of the GAGB.

Feels that this should also be put to a vote?

That is straight out of the Charity Commissions Model Constitution, and it is quite normal to give the committee power to buy & sell stuff: for many organisations, who will have an income, and will buy things (eg a computer) the organisation couldn&#39;t run if the committee couldn&#39;t do this.

In the case of the GAGB, certainly at the moment, we don&#39;t have much anyway (anyone want to make an offer for the GAGB tablecloth?? :-) )&#33;

As for a vote: that&#39;s part of what you are voting on here&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Paul

paul.blitz
16th February 2004, 09:12 PM
Well, thank you all for voting&#33;

With a 49 to 4 vote, with 1 abstention, giving a majority of over 90% of total votes cast, I&#39;m sure you would all agree that we have enough votes to declare the constitution accepted&#33;

Paul Blitz
GAGB Committee