PDA

View Full Version : Caching Names

Palujia
21st May 2010, 06:11 AM
It would be presumptious of me to suggest that this hasn't been done before, but as I can see from the "Welcome" thread lots of new names are appearing. So:-
How did you select your Geocaching "Handle" and does it have a special meaning. For instance
Ours :- Palujia
It was our Cat breeding prefix and made up from the letters of my name Paul, "she who must be obeyed" Judith and our first Siamese Julia
There are some real goodies out there
Care to share ??
PS If you see us at any event you can tell us by the car number plate on Big Ange !!
PPS That's why I'm also known as Mystic Mog

cheers
Palujia

RuberyBlue
21st May 2010, 08:22 AM
Mines a little sad compared to yours:

Home location + Footie team

Having said that it has been my regular forum name elsewhere prior to caching.

RB
KRO!

DrDick&Vick
21st May 2010, 11:40 AM
We are Richard and Vicky, the DrDick bit came from when I worked in a wine bar and was a bit of a agony uncle and saved a few relationships.I was also First Aid trained for 35 years and on a few occasions when the alcohol got the better of some people I used the training to good purpose. So when we started caching I was going to be DrDick but erindoors wanted to join in and so we became DrDick&Vick.

Palujia
23rd May 2010, 10:21 PM
Great - but only two - there are some great names out there - come on share the thoughts behind that really great caching name !!!

The Wombles
23rd May 2010, 11:03 PM
We started caching as Dave & Nicky but wanted a name which included the kids. "The Wombles" seemed appropriate for hiding in bushes and CITO.

The Crunchy Nutter
24th May 2010, 04:43 PM
I was trying to think of a suitably witty username on another forum some time ago, so I wandered round the office looking for inspiration. Got to the kitchen area, and a certain breakfast cereal was staring at me... :D

Palujia
24th May 2010, 11:40 PM
Well I'm glad your box isn't broken (like the Ad on TV!!)
thanks
Palujia

jaspa5
25th May 2010, 02:22 PM
hmm ours is very unoriginal all our names ..
Joanne
Anna
Sarah
Phil
Angie
oh and theres 5 of us !!!
so..
JASPA5

Bear and Ragged
25th May 2010, 05:19 PM
Bear and Ragged.

Despite the 'and' in the name, it's only me.
Live and work in the land of the Bear and Ragged staff.
Work out where that is, and you're half-way to the cache!

*mouse*
25th May 2010, 10:14 PM
Childhood/family nickname - added the **'s as mouse was already registered when I joined.

Mrs Blorenge
25th May 2010, 10:50 PM
I'm half of The Blorenges - there are two of us - MrB and MrsB

Our name comes from the location of the first cache we ever found: It was "The First in Wales" (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7b8d181f-2e92-4424-9f8c-8246ff3620a3) which is on top of the Blorenge mountain near Abergavenny. After a long search we found it and when we went home our geocaching account was named simply Blorenge. It was soon amended to The Blorenges because there's more than one of us. ;)

Palujia
27th May 2010, 02:20 PM
As you say "in another place"
"Only word that rhymes with Orange" !!!!

cheers

palujia

Mrs Blorenge
27th May 2010, 06:29 PM
As you say "in another place"
"Only word that rhymes with Orange" !!!!

Somebody did try to point out to me that there's a European manufacturer of domestic appliances called Gorenje, but I just put my fingers in my ears and went "Lalalalalalalala" so I couldn't hear him.

Palujia
28th May 2010, 06:19 AM
Quite right !!!

as the song says
"You are the One and Only" !!

Come on you lot there are some great caching names out there - Tell us the thinking (or not !!) behind them

Off on me hols now for two weeks - listening to the rain on the caravan roof whilst "Porthing" me dogs in Welsh Wales

Ciao bella !

Palujia

DrDick&Vick
28th May 2010, 10:58 AM
Nice to know that there is another avid caravanner on here, we use the van all year and spend very little time at home. Don't like brick walls anymore.
See my signature for the reason why.

jamesrodgersjr
28th May 2010, 09:06 PM
My handle is fairly boring it's my name and also my fathers hence the jr at the end =0)
I didn't really use it untill recently when I needed a new name to use for forums that was a little more mature (my old name was Rustbucketracer)
If at all possible I try to get JRjr but it seems to be taken on quite a few forums I have joined so I just ended up sticking to the full version =0)

Palujia
7th June 2010, 09:00 AM
Just got back from a Week in Snowdonia - Lots of beautiful views, good walks and a little "caching" - with our friends the Beauchiefs. Did not, however go up Snowdon on the train - Prices £25.00 EACH and NO DOGS.
Still lots queuing up though !! N ow looking forward to 2 weeks in Norfolk in August !! Happy towing

Patrick Sullivan
7th June 2010, 01:40 PM
Bear and Ragged.

Despite the 'and' in the name, it's only me.
Live and work in the land of the Bear and Ragged staff.
Work out where that is, and you're half-way to the cache!

I know its not, but I live in Berlin and the city emblem is a bear and believe me, we are all very ragged over here!! We´re even weirder than the guys at 'Link removed as spam'

Palujia
7th June 2010, 11:45 PM
Ah happy days of my youth in Berlin !! Spent a couple of years with the Army Air Corps and had my 21st Birthday in Charlottenberg the old red light area in the 60s. I hear from friends who still visit that Berlin is a really great place now - not like the divided city it was when I was there

4 and the dog
14th August 2010, 05:19 AM
We called ourselves 4 and the dog, but it's just way to complicated how we came up with that name :p

cooper troopers
8th September 2010, 07:51 AM
ours is simple it's our surname "cooper" and to get my husband and daughter moving i always say come on cooper troopers get moving.

but now my husband whats to have caching tshirts with storm troopers on with a gps in there hand for events (he's a film geek)

Palujia
9th September 2010, 04:51 AM
Gott in Himmel !! sounds like your lot is organised !! (where did I leave that GPS ??):eek:

batista
15th September 2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for sharing..........

Boltonian
30th January 2011, 12:16 AM
Doh.....

Have a guess and I do not support any football team.

I could have chosen Horwicharian which would have been more accurate but a lot of people say Horwich like Horidge which is just wrong.

Its Hor as in Horse and wich as in itch (silent w).

Palujia
30th January 2011, 06:05 AM
Um - would that be in Lancs then ?
Lots of cachers have their place names in their "handle"- We come from Maidenhead and are old Maidonians (shortened to old Maids) so we thought perhaps not !!

staffsgeo
30th January 2011, 08:54 AM
My cacher / user name is an extension of me 'Simple' :rolleyes: - As I live in Staffordshire & I'm a geocacher hence 'StaffsGeo' :lol:

thekennelat79
30th January 2011, 12:08 PM
Doh.....

Have a guess and I do not support any football team.

I could have chosen Horwicharian which would have been more accurate but a lot of people say Horwich like Horidge which is just wrong.

Its Hor as in Horse and wich as in itch (silent w).

Are you sure that you are not a "Keawyed" in disguise? (Local dialect joke) :lol:

DrDick&Vick
8th May 2011, 10:29 PM
Bumping this one back up so as we can get a few more name origins as there have been a few interesting ones joining lately.

Tek_Kaz
8th May 2011, 10:42 PM
Well my caching name is my old On-Line gaming name when I used to tour the Quake and Unreal Tournament servers.

It's make up is easy [Tek] as I am a technician and [Kaz] is an old nickname.

noodlefrog
9th May 2011, 10:33 AM
My name is more soppy than interesting! My children, Noah (5) and Freya (3) are affectionately (although they might not agree in a few years!) known as Noah-Noodles and Freya-Froggy by the immediate family. Poor children. It's a name I've used in various places since my youngest was born. :)

jewelsfirst
12th May 2011, 11:57 AM
Jewelsfirst is a name that I use on various sites and forums, not just for geocaching but for whatever.
My first name is Jules and the first bit was tagged on the end as there are always lots Jules/Jewels etc on any site or forum and at the time it was used it was for my first ever venture into a forum. I realise that on a caching site people may think I want to be FTF or something similar but I only use one name wherever I post and I thought why change it just for geocaching.

Predictable Bob
17th June 2011, 08:21 PM
:cool:

My name's Bob and way back in the mists of time I was working on a project in MoD Main Building when another Bob started on the project and it became apparent that we both had a penchant for making 'obvious' jokes and comments so we became known as the Predictable Brothers ...

A couple of years later I setup a hotmail account and decided to use predictable bob as the prefix as it was less likely to get hit by spam - I've used it as my username ever since

:beer:

Palujia
18th June 2011, 10:45 AM
I suppose that was "Predictable" then !!! - thanks for sharing

munkiboi182
21st January 2012, 01:45 PM
i've always been known as monkey or monkey boy. according to my mum i looked like a shaven chimp when i was born. then as a youngster i started climbing trees, buildings, walls ...anything climbable really and just enhanced the use of the name. the number (182) comes from a pop punk band i was into as a teenager and so with the creation of the internet and usernames i am now known by the alter ego munkiboi182 when online.:D

geralduscwmbrensis
9th February 2012, 12:11 AM
Well I'm a Welshman living in exile in the oldest recorded town in Britain so chose the Latin version of my namesake. He was a quite ambitious cleric, wanted to become a bishop, so travelled around Wales recruiting poor peasants for the Crusades, hoping to curry favour with his superiors. Wrote a nice journal about his travels.Translates as Gerald of Wales. Though I sign most of my caches "gcb" because I hadn't realised just how small some logs can be when I chose my name. :beer: :cheers: :wacko:

StickBouncer
2nd November 2012, 09:58 PM
Bouncer is my best friend, cache-hound and dog. He resuced me when I had a breakdown and is my near constant companion. The Stick part started in my Childhood when I used to plat in mud a lot so gained the name "Sticky Micky" my real name being Mark. This got shortened to "Sticks" and almost died.
Then I joined a dark age re-enactment society and at a show once I was bored so picked up a bit of wood and started whittling away with my knife. A member of the public saked what I was doing and I replied "I'm making a stick" to which they then asked if they could buy it when I had finished and I sold it to them for £5. others around saw and heard what had transpired and low the nickname was reborn in the singular. So in a moment of madness when introduced to caching the name seemed good. The only trouble is now I have another dog Trip and he loves caching to so need to work his name in as well.

Hawkeye
9th May 2013, 10:07 PM
Twenty years ago I was walking home through a park at 11pm. I decided to cut across some grass rather than walk round it on the path. Glinting in the grass from a far off street light I could see the Queens head on a coin as clear as if it was in my hand, but it was about 30 feet ahead of me. It turned out to be a £1 coin. I told my partner and she said “You must have the eyes of a hawk”, hence the birth of the name Hawkeye. Since then my work changed and I have had lots of forms, reports & documents to read. Within these I have become sharp eyed at spotting spelling mistakes, wrong words, missing words & grammatical errors. I’m sometimes asked by students and staff alike to proof read reports before they are printed. Not bad for a person who had no interest in English when at school. :)

SurfaBoy
10th May 2013, 01:35 PM
Mine used to be an old computer game tag which was Surfa14 but decided I fancied being SurfaBoy instead. I'm a Surfer and I'm a Boy. Simple.

N0hope
10th May 2013, 11:54 PM
My full caching name is Nohope1972. The first part comes from the answer a teacher at school gave when I asked what my chances were of passing my exams and getting a decent job (I managed to prove him wrong). The second part gives away my date of birth. I've used the name for years for computer game tags and in other forums.

Muddy Bronco
14th July 2013, 05:01 AM
Right, it's a long story; bear with me. l'm a married heterosexual but when we lived in London we'd frequent a gay bar over the road from our flat. I also organised the mountain bike rides programme for the London Cycling Campaign. (Still with me?)

My dancing skills in my local bar were so bad that I was nicknamed "Bronco" as in bucking bronco. One day I cycled past the bar covered in mud after a ride. One of the regulars saw me and shouted after me "who's a muddy Bronco, then?" So from then on the rides' schedule was publicised as Muddy Bronco mountain bike adventures. And I've used the name for most forums that I'm on.

Actualy it wasn't that long was it?

Jennthefunkyranger
8th May 2014, 09:51 PM
When I was 16, I was a Ranger, the next stage up from Guides (now generally known as The Senior Section, which I don't like as it sounds 'old', or shortened to TSS, well, I'll let you work that one out!!), and I needed a new email address to send a large file at college. Jennthefunkyranger ended up being my email address, and it stuck, and now I use it for most things.

I was jennthefunkyranger on a Guiding forum until I hit "Guiding death", my 26th birthday, the end of Senior Section 3 years ago, and so I jokingly changed it there to jennthedeadfunkyranger, and never changed it back.

I tend to sign as JTFR on logs to save space, I didn't think about that when I signed up!

Yorkshire Yellow
9th May 2014, 12:59 PM
I'm originally from Yorkshire and am a supporter of Oxford United FC, known as 'The Yellows'.

Yorkshire Yellow was my handle on the OUFC message boards, so seemed a natural one to bring with me when I started to cache.

L8HNB
10th May 2014, 07:39 AM
We went for a walk with our relatives, who had just started caching but we didn't know, they found a cache and we needed something to stick on the log sheet and that was the best we could come up with at the time, not thinking too much about it.
Later that evening we were encouraged to sign up to geocaching.com and the rest, as they say, is history!
Getting a TB and attaching it to our car registration plate (as L8HNB is for Linda & Henry...) pretty much means that it's unlikely to change now...

Gackt
28th May 2014, 07:40 AM
'Gackt' is the name of a Japanese singer of whom I've mimicked the persona and used the photos of for a role play character for many years. It was also a fitting acronym for some of the things I enjoy.

Gerbil Fanatic
28th August 2016, 04:38 PM
I'm Gerbil Fanatic because I (obviously like gerbils) owned two male gerbils when I started caching - an albino one called Jerry and a brown one called Jack. :):)