PDA

View Full Version : GPS Needed - Help!!!

Forbees
9th August 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

I recently came up with the idea of creating a geocache trail for where I work, and on having a look to see what its all about, I inadvertently became well and truly hooked! The only problem is that I am using the work's gis system to print maps, and really need a basic gps unit so I can do more and start hiding my own. I don't want to commit to anything new until I know what I want, and can't find anything decent in my price range on ebay.

I was hoping that someone in the GAGB forums has an old handset they could pass my way for a sensible price. Anything basic would do, but I could only really stretch to £40 at the moment (I'm a new dad!!)

Here's hoping someone can help!

Forbees.

JamesA60
25th January 2014, 09:46 PM
Don't go for a cheap GPS receiver. When I found out about geocaching about a year ago I did research about the cheapest system I could find. There are no good £40 GPS systems. You could try getting the Garmin eTrex 10 with the GAGB Cotswold Outdoor discount. With the discount it would cost £68.

If this is too much, you could try to buy a second hand GPS from the eTrex series from eBay for about £30 (excluding postage). From what I have seen, the eTrex H is just as good as the eTrex 10 but older.

I hope this helps! :)

TheHarleyRebels
24th February 2014, 07:19 PM
If you want something more advanced try a Garmin Oregon 450, it does paperless, wherigo etc.