PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mega Event - Website and Shop now open!

muttoneer
11th September 2010, 09:34 AM
Hello,

I would like to update you on the planning of the 2012 UK Mega Event, which is to be held in the North West of England.

The NW Mega Committee are pleased to announce that our website is now fully operational, and will in time give you all the information you'll need concerning our plans for 2012.

http://www.mega2012.org.uk/

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter! Links to both are on the 2012 website.

The newest part of the website is our online shop (http://www.mega2012.org.uk/content/shop.html), which is now open for business!

At present we are selling two items:

http://www.mega2012.org.uk/zencart/images/medium/Lightweight_Trackable_MED.jpg
The Northern Star - a lightweight trackable in the shape of a star, priced at £5 (+P&P). These also have their own icon at geocaching.com and make a nice alternative to travel bugs!

http://www.mega2012.org.uk/zencart/images/medium/NW_pin_MED.jpg
A very cute NW Caching pin badge - only £1 (+P&P)

You can expect more goodies to appear on here as we get closer to summer 2012!

Finally, if you wish to get involved in any way with the NW Mega Event, please contact me or any other Committee member. You can also donate to our fundraising effort at http://www.mega2012.org.uk/content/donate.html.

All the best,
Muttoneer
(Chairman, NW Mega Committee)

Simply Paul
14th September 2010, 12:04 PM
As mentioned on the other forum, offence is being taken to the use of The to describe A 2012 UK Mega event by the NW group. It implies there's only one when currently there are at least two -and perhaps three- being organised. We ask the organisers of the NW Mega to change the misleading wording on this forum, Groundspeak pages and on their own website. The Geolympix (SE UK 2012 Mega) website launches soon and I'm certain the NW team would not appreciate us calling the Geolympix The UK 2012 Mega on it. :mad:

Mongoose39uk
14th September 2010, 01:19 PM
Offence is being taken by whom exactly? Well you obviously.

Perhaps offence is also being taken at you hijacking threads as well. If you want to promote your idea why not just use your own thread to do so.

A suggestion, this forum has a poll feature, why not use it to gauge support for one, two or three mega events and where these should be.

Mongoose39uk
14th September 2010, 01:20 PM
Back on topic....

Good luck to the 2012 UK Mega Event committee with their fund raising.

Simply Paul
14th September 2010, 02:47 PM
Just responding to an inaccurate and misleading post, for the reasons I gave.
:applause: Down with free speech :applause:

DrDick&Vick
14th September 2010, 03:00 PM
further to Mongoose39UK's post:
Good Luck to the 2012 UK Mega EventS committeeS with their fund raising.
:socool:

Mongoose39uk
14th September 2010, 03:25 PM
Just responding to an inaccurate and misleading post, for the reasons I gave.
:applause: Down with free speech :applause:

No one is stopping you speaking, plenty of place for your own thread to express your opinion.

Now would you care to say who is objecting? Or is it just you?

Simply Paul
14th September 2010, 03:45 PM
Starting a fresh thread to comment on a post on this one would be a little silly, no? I really didn't have anything more to say on the matter but you're keen for answers so:

I can only speak for my own objection (and offence) but I imagine the NW Mega's self-promotion as The 2012 UK Mega would be questioned by anyone involved in the SE Mega. Of course, if you're comfortable with misleading posts and websites I guess you'll be comfortable with their representation as The 2012 UK Mega. There's not much I can do about it other than point it out to them and ask them to stop. I don't feel the need to start a fresh thread on the topic but if you do, feel free.

While I'm here, and on topic, I personally think the NW effort to raise funds does tread on the toes of the Wales Mega 2011: Official Website (http://www.megawales.co.uk/) - Geocaching.com Page (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5fa8732f-536e-414c-ae4e-8aa46e596dfd). The UK's 4th Mega event is being held in Swansea on Sunday the 31st of July 2011. I've supported their fund-raising efforts. You'll understand why the NW will probably have to make do without my patronage.

Mongoose39uk
14th September 2010, 03:52 PM
Starting a fresh thread to comment on a post on this one would be a little silly, no? I really didn't have anything more to say on the matter but you're keen for answers so:

I can only speak for my own objection (and offence) but I imagine the NW Mega's self-promotion as The 2012 UK Mega would be questioned by anyone involved in the SE Mega. Of course, if you're comfortable with misleading posts and websites I guess you'll be comfortable with their representation as The 2012 UK Mega. There's not much I can do about it other than point it out to them and ask them to stop. I don't feel the need to start a fresh thread on the topic but if you do, feel free.

I still see no one else objecting, its not the first time you have hijacked other peoples threads over several fora?forums?

I doubt you are going to get what you want so far as a name change and frankly your constant bleating is becoming quite frankly irritating and detracting from other peoples good intentions. 1) to hold a mega event tee name of which is not important apparently to anyone but you, 2) raise money to hold said event.

I neither care what the event is called or where it is held, it would be nice however if you let people get on with it and got on with your own.

Dan1980
14th September 2010, 06:11 PM
Paul,

The North West 2012 committee have been working closely with the Mega Wales 2011 committee for several months and have supported them financially both as a committee and as individuals, as well as offering our support in the actual organisation and promotion of their event. You'll probably have noticed that the first link on our website is to the Mega Wales website. To imply that we are trying to overshadow Mega Wales in any way is, quite simply, grossly inaccurate.

Mega Wales 2011, as next year's UK Mega, should quite rightly be the main focus at the moment. However, as Muttoneer pointed out to you on the Groundspeak forum, it is not practical to wait until after their event to start to fund-raise for our own. We have therefore started low key fund-raising prior to their event (just as Wales did prior to Mega Scotland, and as I'm sure 2013's committee will do prior to our event). We have consulted with the Mega Wales committee before doing so and have tried to minimise the impact that our efforts have on their own fund-raising. The last thing that we want to do is to overshadow their event and/or fund-raising.

Unfortunately, your incessant sniping poses a real threat of doing precisely that.

Simply Paul
14th September 2010, 08:50 PM
I still see no one else objecting, its not the first time you have hijacked other peoples threads over several fora?forums?And my opinion doesn't count because..? (Rhetorical) As for hijacking this thread, I'll let others decide which one of us has taken it furthest off course.

I doubt you are going to get what you want so far as a name change and frankly your constant bleating is becoming quite frankly irritating and detracting from other peoples good intentions. 1) to hold a mega event tee name of which is not important apparently to anyone but you, 2) raise money to hold said event.I'm not asking for a name change. Just describing it as THE 2012 UK Mega isn't accurate and if the SE Mega team were to do the same I'd expect us to be pulled up on it. If you can't see my point, I don't know how I can make it any clearer. :(

I neither care what the event is called or where it is held, it would be nice however if you let people get on with it and got on with your own.I don't see myself stopping them, and nor would I want to. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

Simply Paul
14th September 2010, 09:07 PM
Paul,I'd rather leave this, but as you address this post to me directly...

The North West 2012 committee have been working closely with the Mega Wales 2011 committee for several months and have supported them financially both as a committee and as individuals, as well as offering our support in the actual organisation and promotion of their event. You'll probably have noticed that the first link on our website is to the Mega Wales website. To imply that we are trying to overshadow Mega Wales in any way is, quite simply, grossly inaccurate.I'm implying nothing- I stated my opinion. If you don't agree with it you need to say why I'm wrong. You did this above. A very well formed arguement. Thank you for taking the time to express why -in your opinion- I'm wrong to feel the way I do.

Mega Wales 2011, as next year's UK Mega, should quite rightly be the main focus at the moment. However, as Muttoneer pointed out to you on the Groundspeak forum, it is not practical to wait until after their event to start to fund-raise for our own. We have therefore started low key fund-raising prior to their event (just as Wales did prior to Mega Scotland, and as I'm sure 2013's committee will do prior to our event). We have consulted with the Mega Wales committee before doing so and have tried to minimise the impact that our efforts have on their own fund-raising. The last thing that we want to do is to overshadow their event and/or fund-raising.I know, also from the other thread, that I'm not alone in feeling there's an overshadowing of the Wales 2011 fund-raising programme but if they're happy, as you say, then I guess I should be happy too. Thus: :)

Edit: I went back to the closed thread on the other forum https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=259625 and checked: Muttoneer didn't aim his post about this issue to me as I'd not commented on it, and this post caught my eye, following Mad H@ter's about toe-stepping:

"I can only add that this was the courtesy we afforded the Scottish Mega Committee. By keeping in the shadows left them free to gain support of the entire caching comunity, but of course this is at the discretion of each committee to decide.

kind Regards

Tony( Mega Wales Committee Chairman)"

You're 100% sure they're 100% happy though, and that's good enough for me.

Unfortunately, your incessant sniping poses a real threat of doing precisely that.I think incessant is a bit rich. I mention it once, here, and even offer support of the NW's pricing for items on the other forum and suddenly I'm a sniper. Ho hum. Seems I'll always The Bad Guy in some people's eyes. :ph34r:

Dan1980
14th September 2010, 09:58 PM
Muttoneer didn't aim his post about this issue to me as I'd not commented on it
You did however post further down the thread, so I assumed that you had read his comment... maybe I was wrong in that assumption.

You're 100% sure they're 100% happy though, and that's good enough for me.
I can only base my opinion on the conversations that we have had with the Welsh committee via email, PM, Facebook and in person at Mega Scotland. They have all been very positive and I believe that we have a good relationship, yes. As for 100% happy; I'm not sure that anyone is ever "100%" happy about anything, but I believe that Mega Wales support our committee on the whole.

I think incessant is a bit rich. I mention it once, here, and even offer support of the NW's pricing for items on the other forum and suddenly I'm a sniper.
The support on the other forum was amongst other negative comments though, and it seems that on the few occasions that NW Mega 2012 has been brought up either here or on the Groundspeak forum, you've always popped up to have a go. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this opinion, you just have to look above for evidence of that.

Now maybe you'd like to get on with organising your own event and stop bad mouthing other people's?

muttoneer
14th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Can I just draw everyone's attention to the Mega Wales event page (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5fa8732f-536e-414c-ae4e-8aa46e596dfd)?

Look at the username of the organiser - the "UK Mega Event Committee"

The NW Mega will also be organised by the "UK Mega Event Committee" as it has been agreed we will be taking over that Geocaching.com account from the South Wales team after the 2011 Mega is over.

Therefore, the NW Mega will be the "UK Mega Event"

It's simply being described as such because it is the next incarnation of the yearly event of that name which started at Harrogate in 2008. Describing it in this way does not prevent there being another Mega Event in the UK during 2012, or any other year.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Simply Paul
14th September 2010, 10:54 PM
I was about to go to bed but I'm in the mood to defend myself so... (I know this has got dull for everyone else. I suggest you just skip over this post)

You did however post further down the thread, so I assumed that you had read his comment... maybe I was wrong in that assumption.His only comment aimed at me was about not wanting to get into a fight (suits me too) and that there wouldn't be a date clash between the NW and SE Megas. (Suits us). I had read his earlier comment. I don't see how it applies to what I said later though - it can hardly have been aimed at me in expectation that I'd post anything relating to it. Um. Now I've confused myself :) Anyway, I see nothing wrong with my post/s. If you disagree I suppose you could report it/them.

I can only base my opinion on the conversations that we have had with the Welsh committee via email, PM, Facebook and in person at Mega Scotland. They have all been very positive and I believe that we have a good relationship, yes. As for 100% happy; I'm not sure that anyone is ever "100%" happy about anything, but I believe that Mega Wales support our committee on the whole.I can assure you I'm often 100% happy with many things. As for the rest; great. I hope the SE Mega's is as good if not better.

The support on the other forum was amongst other negative comments though, and it seems that on the few occasions that NW Mega 2012 has been brought up either here or on the Groundspeak forum, you've always popped up to have a go. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this opinion, you just have to look above for evidence of that.One person's 'popped up to have a go' is another person's 'making a valid contribution to the discussion'. Words eh? Wonderful things. I've looked above. I see your and Mongoose39uk's comments. Two against one. That's bullying :P I think he made his point of view clear with 'Good luck to THE 2012 UK Mega Event committee with their fund raising.' - My caps.
Regarding the other forum, the only negative comment about the NW Mega from me was, and is, that calling it The UK Mega is- (Fade to black. Old ground. Danger of me repeating myself ;) )

Now maybe you'd like to get on with organising your own event and stop bad mouthing other people's?I do love your choice of words. Make one little reasonable suggestion and offer a (not wildly unreasonable) opinion and- (Fade to black. Old ground. Danger of me repeating myself :rolleyes: )

Maple Leaf
14th September 2010, 10:57 PM
With the number of attendees at the first three UK Mega events, we actually had enough people (minus a few at Harrogate) to have two Mega events on the same day (not that I am encouraging that :eek: ) .... so am sure there will be enough people for both events (especially in 2yrs time).

At Weston 2009, we (UK Mega Event Committee) were actually getting worried about the growing registration numbers .... as if it had increased much more we were going to get into problems with occupancy/fire regulations for the Winter Gardens.

Dan1980
14th September 2010, 11:05 PM
With the number of attendees at the first three UK Mega events, we actually had enough people (minus a few at Harrogate) to have two Mega events on the same day (not that I am encouraging that :eek: ) .... so am sure there will be enough people for both events (especially in 2yrs time).

At Weston 2009, we (UK Mega Event Committee) were actually getting worried about the growing registration numbers .... as if it had increased much more we were going to get into problems with occupancy/fire regulations for the Winter Gardens.
A very good point, which highlights how silly, unnecessary and counter productive the mud throwing that a few people are intent on actually is.

Simply Paul
14th September 2010, 11:17 PM
Can I just draw everyone's attention to the Mega Wales event page (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5fa8732f-536e-414c-ae4e-8aa46e596dfd)?

Look at the username of the organiser - the "UK Mega Event Committee"

The NW Mega will also be organised by the "UK Mega Event Committee" as it has been agreed we will be taking over that Geocaching.com account from the South Wales team after the 2011 Mega is over.

Therefore, the NW Mega will be the "UK Mega Event"

It's simply being described as such because it is the next incarnation of the yearly event of that name which started at Harrogate in 2008. Describing it in this way does not prevent there being another Mega Event in the UK during 2012, or any other year.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.So the ownership of the 'official' Mega account is what makes it The UK Mega rather than the NW Mega? Bizarre but interesting. Presumably the Wales committee could change their mind as to who deserves the account, based on their impressions of the plans, scale and ambition of any Mega, how far progressed those plans are, its backing, as well as the conduct of the organisers, etc. Nothing's signed in blood? I'd rather not go down this route but if it gives a group moral authority over The Definite Article, I think it's something we'll have to consider. In the meantime I'm going to have to ask again- It isn't unique. It's one of more than a single UK Mega being held in 2012. Referring to it as The UK Mega for 2012 remains misleading even if, by some strange leap of reason and history, you think it isn't.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to thank muttoneer for his post last night; my mistake. Thank you for taking the time to write that explanation.

FuzzyBears
21st September 2010, 10:55 AM
Being an avid Mega fan already looking forward to Swansea 2011 I am getting rather tired of the 'handbags at noon' between the two 2012 teams (or at least some of them)
Neither team has come up with any 'real' plans..
The NW are now asking for cash support but where is the event we are being asked to support?? the NW goes from the midlands to Scotland and the Pennines
The SE are planning an event within 60 Miles of a busy capitol city during what will be it's busiest time.. I have heard that teams are looking at facilities in our area 100 miles+ from London at least a month before the event. OK one plan is a 'tent' in a field combined with the camping event "A Mega Festival" good idea but where are the other events going to be

All I ask is come back to us when you have plans not ideas until then leave THE fourth UK Mega in Wales to raise their funds in peace