PDA

View Full Version : How to log a geocoin

Trecker404
12th September 2010, 06:21 PM
Hi Folks, a little confused here... so whats new you ask?:confused:

I have physically retreived a CG from a cache and now want to log this on Geocaching.com.

The coin is listed on the cache page - I go to the inventory area and click on the coin - log visit.

Select the retreive option.

It then asks for a 'Tracking code' - is this the code in <use xxxxxx to reference this item> or do I enter the ID number stamped on the GC itself?

Sorry it this is rather a lame question, still getting into this and want to be sure these GCs dont go AWOL because I 'loose' them in the on line tracking log.

Mrs Blorenge
13th September 2010, 04:37 PM
You use the tracking code that's stamped on the geocoin itself.

The tracking code/number that you find on any trackable item (a geocoin or a travel bug) is the one that allows you to log retrieves and drop-offs of that item and also 'discovered' logs. (You should use the 'discovered' option if you've seen the item somewhere but you haven't retrieved it to move it onwards.) The tracking number should always be kept private - Don't write it into any logs or public places like the forums - It should be known only to the owner of the trackable and those cachers who have actually seen the item.

If you want to refer to a particular TB or geocoin in a log, or in a forum post, then you use the reference number that you mentioned. The ref number always starts with TB***** and it allows someone to search and bring up the page for the item to look at the details but it doesn't allow them to move it anywhere.

Incidentally, if you just want to put a 'Note' log onto a trackable page at any time you can do that without having to use the tracking number.

I always suggest that it's good practice to make a note of the tracking number of any trackable as soon you retrieve it from a cache. That way if anything goes wrong when you do the logging (e.g. You accidentally drop it off into the wrong cache, or you place it into another cache half an hour later before you've done the 'retrieved it' log) you can always correct any errors.

ardip912
2nd October 2010, 11:11 PM
:) Thought I'd made a right faux pas logging my first trackable thingy. Appears I got it about right. Still learning.

ardip912
30th October 2010, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Discovered a TB in a cache today. Knowing I couldn't move it on sensibly, I recorded its number so that I could log a 'discovered'

The cache inventory does not show the TB and on checking with geocaching.com trackables, it says it is in the possession of the owner in the USA. (It appears to be a tattoo)

I'm at a bit of a loss of what action I can or should take.

Any help, anyone?:dunno:

Allan.

martybartfast
31st October 2010, 10:34 AM
Could it be that the person currently holding it just hasn't had time to log it into that cache yet? Perhaps they left it in the cache while on holiday and will log it when they return?

I would say, log it as "Discovered" and explain on the log where it was when you saw it, then at least anyone else seeing it will have some idea of how long the the TB has been misplaced.

If you're sure that the person currently shown as holding it isn't going to log it into the cache then you could grab it from him/her, and put it in the cache yourself, but don't do this unless you're certain.

I'd also put it on my watchlist to see what happens with it.

EDIT: Just noticed the bit about the Tattoo, which makes the above a bit nonsensical. Perhaps you've made a mistake recording the TB code? Or else someone has a tattoo TB and has also released an item with the original tag. What's the bug code? (not the 'secret' one on the TB but the one beginning TB on the bugs home page).

ardip912
31st October 2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your help. The code is TB21TAR and I found iit in GC1RJBH.

I'm not that experienced handling TB's.

Regards,

Allan.

Maple Leaf
31st October 2010, 12:25 PM
Reading the history of the tattoo, I think it is likely that you have misread the 'private' number on the Travel Bug (which has then linked you to the incorrect TB number ... i.e. the tattoo). Occassionally people re-release a copy tag if the orginal TB has gone missing ... but it looks like the tattoo has always been a tattoo.

Have another look at the number on the TB tag itself ... often 0, Q, G, 6 all look very similar.

I would go to the Travelbug lookup page here (https://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugs.aspx) and try various different combinations and see if you find it. (if the page doesn't have a default photo, you may need to look in the gallery).

The other thing is to email the previous finders of the cache and ask if they left the TB (describing it) but haven't dropped it in.
[Monki] said he left a copy geocoin but nothing is showing in the cache ... maybe another cacher has visited/swapped items and not logged yet.

Bear and Ragged
31st October 2010, 01:20 PM
Numbers and letters wot can be confused!
0 - O or a bad Q
1 - I or lowercase L (l)
2 - Z
4 - A
5 - S
6 - b
7 -T (not an obvious 'usual' misread)
8 - B
9 - G (g) or Q (q) OR G and Q get mixed up! g/q/9! :ohmy:

I once had a trackable that took me five goes with different combinations of the letters/numbers to get the right TB! :wacko:

martybartfast
31st October 2010, 02:10 PM
Agree with Maple Leaf, sounds like a case of mistaken identity to me.

If you can't figure it out by trying alternative numbers/letters I'd be inclined to put the cache on my watchlist and see whether any future cachers pick anything up or mention the TB, just to satisfy my curiosity.

ardip912
31st October 2010, 02:38 PM
I may be getting there. Rechecked the code, I was correct. Going back through all the items tracking logs, there is an entry saying that it went missing in England. Pictures posted on the items webpage and the original name confirm that this is it. Owner has had a tattoo and is now using the same code for that.

But, what about the trackable in the cache? Is it worth emailing the owner and telling them its been found?

Maple Leaf
31st October 2010, 02:51 PM
Excellent - I didn't spot that log earlier. (apologies, for doubting you had the correct number)

Definitely email the owner explaining that you have found the original. I am sure she will be pleased.

They will need to decide what to do ... as will get confusing if there is a TB and a tattoo with the same number.

ardip912
31st October 2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks, have done as suggested. Haven't really been too interested in trackables up till now, this has whetted my appetite.

Allan.

ardip912
31st October 2010, 07:19 PM
I've had a very excited reply from California. This trackable went missing over two years ago and the rightful owner is delighted that it has surfaced. She will be reunited with it soon.:applause:

Thanks to everyone for help and advice given. :cheers:

Allan.

Maple Leaf
31st October 2010, 07:55 PM
Well done - It is good to hear happy outcomes for 'missing' TBs. :applause:

ardip912
20th November 2010, 11:58 PM
Have had an email from Alicia in California confirming that the original 'Nana's Rose' TB is back safely in the hands of it's rightful owner. She's thrilled.
Chuffed am I or what? Beats a FTF for me.
Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Allan.

Maple Leaf
21st November 2010, 12:48 AM
That's good news. :applause:

Hopefully you will be able to log it (or a note if still linked to her tatoo) and tell the 'Lost & Found' story.