PDA

View Full Version : Organising an Event - Help ?

staffsgeo
22nd September 2010, 10:22 AM
Dear GAGB,

I am thinking of organising a Camping Event. Dates - OK. Site - OK.
Need advice on how to rate Difficulty & Terrain??? Tried to contact a reviewer - but no reply yet.

Q1) Can I place caches on the site for during the event then delete them after the event as it will be on a Scout Owned Site. (I have permission from Owner)
Q2) If so could I place a cache halfway up a climbing / abseiling tower???
Q3) When would you publish the event?

Hope some WISE Geocacher will help,
Thanking all in advance
StaffsGeo

Brenin Tegeingl
22nd September 2010, 03:29 PM
Your Local Reviewer has been on Holiday for the last 3 weeks

Q1) Can I place caches on the site for during the event then delete them after the event as it will be on a Scout Owned Site. (I have permission from Owner)

You could, but as they would not meet the Longevity part of the Guidelines. They would not be Listed on GC

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.
Q2) If so could I place a cache halfway up a climbing / abseiling tower???

Again due to the Longevity issue it would not be listed on GC. However if it was intended to be permanent, there was permanent access to all (something a Scout Owned Property wont have) and the cache had the permission of the Landowner/Equipment owner then yes.

Q3) When would you publish the event?

As it involves booking accommodation (Pitches) and possibly advanced planning for those attending. Up to 6 months ahead of the date.

However there is one unanswered question. You've stated that it's a Scout Camp, so is the event aimed at just Scouts, or open to all?

If it's just open to Scouts, it would not be accepted for Listing on GC, if the later then yes. Provided there is a element that is Open to Non Campers to Attend the event.

As for terrain, well as there would be no need to camp to attend, and provided there were facilities for the Disabled. It would then be a 1/1

Deceangi Volunteer UK Reviewer Geocaching.com

ivanidea
22nd September 2010, 03:41 PM
Assuming you go ahead and organise such an event, which is open to everybody, could you not put caches on the perimiter of the camp, in places where the public have access to, eg the site entrance and/or on public paths in the neighbouring area.

I know some of the local Scout camps have caches nearby.

staffsgeo
22nd September 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks Mancunian for this advice....

Sorry if it sounded like I was annoyed that the reviewer hadn't replied. I was excited about organising my first event and didn't want to get anything wrong.

The event in question will be open to all involved in Geocaching and is available for weekend campers aswell as visitor's.
The site is reasonably flat & there are facilities for the disabled.

I think I will place caches off site, just like ivanidea said.

Thankyou again.
StaffsGeo

Brenin Tegeingl
22nd September 2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks Mancunian for this advice....

Sorry if it sounded like I was annoyed that the reviewer hadn't replied. I was excited about organising my first event and didn't want to get anything wrong.

The event in question will be open to all involved in Geocaching and is available for weekend campers aswell as visitor's.
The site is reasonably flat & there are facilities for the disabled.

I think I will place caches off site, just like ivanidea said.

Thankyou again.
StaffsGeo

Nay probs I had realised you were not moaning or attacking your local Reviewer.

Deci