PDA

View Full Version : GeoCaching App for Android :(

esim
15th October 2010, 09:38 PM
For some time I've been eagerly anticipating the Android app from geocaching.com, and now that it's in release 1.0.3 I thought I'd give it a go. So earlier this evening I bought and loaded the app, and two hours later I uninstalled it and got the refund from the app store.

Why? :confused:

I knew that the app was not quite as fancy and feature rich as the iPhone app, but I was astonished how under-whelmingly basic it. It is really really basic and very clunky to work with. looking at a cache is not merely a matter of scrooling down over the information - you need to go into sub screens all the time which gets tedious pretty quick.

I then tried to load a gpx file for offline caching (lets face it, the good caches are often in places without network), the loading went well and I could read all the info. But as soon as I switched off the network it wouldn't load anything and stated that a network connection is needed! I tried to load the offline file and the app promptly crashed. :wacko:

So when it had crashed about 4 times for different (or no) reasons I decided to throw in the towel. :mad:

nobbynobbs
17th October 2010, 04:41 PM
geobeagle :)

esim
17th October 2010, 07:40 PM
Yes, GeoBeagle it is, for now anyway.
I used CacheSense (or CacheBerry as it used to be called) before when I was on BlackBerry. There were a version planned for Android but it's not clear when and if that'll hit the streets.

DrDick&Vick
16th January 2011, 02:37 PM
I have downloaded the latest version of the GC app to my Samsung Galaxy and it works ok for me, I like the fact that by importing PQ's you can store almost unlimited caches.

DrDick&Vick
16th January 2011, 02:38 PM
I have downloaded the latest version of the GC app to my Samsung Galaxy and it works ok for me, I like the fact that by importing PQ's you can store almost unlimited caches.
It hasn't crashed once since loading but I will admit that I normally only use it for up to date info.

esim
18th January 2011, 06:15 PM
It's nice to hear that they've opted the software a bit.