PDA

View Full Version : Fred Whitton Bike Tour

flipflopnick
1st November 2010, 02:47 PM
The Fred Whitton Bike Tour is a bike ride which follows the same route as the Fred Whitton Bike Challenge which has been done in under 6 hours by local Rob Jebb. The Tour is free to enter for anyone completing the route on a bicycle. Collect a timer card in Coniston, and log your times and three check points on route. Before finishing back where you started in Coniston.

fredwhittonchallenge org uk/fourseasons php

As cachers we can find all the caches on route, staying in B&B or YHA on route, taking several days to complete. By diving off route to search will slow the ride down, hence the need to take several days.

Start and finish timestamps are provided by South Lakeland webcam cache at Coniston. coord info/GCQ5WB

I have a Bookmark list of caches within 500m of the road on route.
I am trying to develop this in to a challenge cache.
BOOKMARK LINK (https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=9dfd7d20-0bf1-4750-8861-22fc4a9390ef)

If anyone is enthused by this idea I am looking at attempting the ride and staying in YHAs in April or May 2011.

Start in Coniston Zero night
Glenridding YHA first night (Monday Night)
Either Keswick, Borrowdale YHA second night (Tuesday Night)
Buttermere YHA third night (Wednesday night)
Between Buttermere and Ennerdale is biggest ride with least caches.
Ennerdale YHA fourth night (Thursday night)
Eskdale YHA Fifth night (Friday night)
This means Wrynose and Hardknott passes on a Saturday when least traffic.
Coniston to finish with a webcam picture with the bikes.

Eskdale and Ennerdale are clinchers. Eskdale may have to be a Friday night because groups block book during the week, and Ennerdale does not open till April.

I give you this idea to complete in your own time.