PDA

View Full Version : Are these GPS's suitable?

Boltonian
18th January 2011, 08:07 PM
As I dont have the gear, I thought I'd bettet get an idea.

I am not allowed to post links:( so its an ebay item number

Are these suitable?:)

Are they missing anything?:mad:

martybartfast
18th January 2011, 08:40 PM
Hello again, I am allowed to post links so here it is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120665216962&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3D R40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D12066521 6962%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I'm not familiar with this but I'm pretty sure it won't be much use for Geocaching, it doesn't look like it has the ability to download GPX data, which is the way you load Geocache locations onto the GPS.

Personally I would be looking at a Garmin Etrex (the yellow one) as an introductory GPS, they seem to be going for £70-80 on Ebay at the moment but I'm sure they were more like £50 not that long ago so maybe if you look around. There's also the second hand option if you can find something.

Edit to add: Handtec.co.uk are selling the Etrex H for £57 here http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/739/garmin-etrex-h This is a very widely used GPS in geocaching circles (it's what I started with and used for 2 or 3 years). I've also bought a GPS from Handtec and would prefer them over Ebay any day.

Boltonian
18th January 2011, 08:42 PM
Thank you, that was nice and quick.

RuberyBlue
18th January 2011, 08:45 PM
This is a new one on me as well, better off paying an extra £20 for a proven and reliable Garmin unit.

RB

Dan1980
18th January 2011, 10:40 PM
In a word no.

16 POIs ("points of interest" or waypoints) is not nearly enough for geocaching. Most decent GPS units will be able to store at least 500. The battery life also leaves a lot to be desired.

As others have said a Garmin eTrex H (don't forget the "H" - it means high sensitivity, meaning that it's twice as accurate as the bog standard eTrex, but the same price) is a good entry level GPS and available for £60-70. I've used one for more than two years. It is worth buying the data cable (it doesn't come with one) so that you can upload waypoints to it rather than entering them manually, which is very time consuming. You'll also need a USB-serial converter to use the cable and you're looking at about £25 for the two.

Recently, someone pointed out to me that for about the same price you can buy a Garmin eTrex Legend H, which is just as accurate, but comes with a few more features, including basic mapping (very useful). As it comes with a USB data cable you won't need to buy one separately. You should be able to pick one up for about £100.

Overall, I would recommend the eTrex Legend H because of the extra features, and when you factor in the outlay for the cable it's about the same price as the more basic eTrex H.

Boltonian
19th January 2011, 12:58 PM
Glad I didnt just buy, I hate those peeps that have all the gear but no idea.:dunno::socool: