PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk rechargeable batteries

RuberyBlue
18th January 2011, 08:54 PM
Okay, I have been using Energizer rechargeable batteries for 4+ years now. The usage from them is great and more than enough for my caching trips they do, however, lose their charge when sitting unused in the charger (4+ days).

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone give their experience of alternatives?

RB

Dan1980
18th January 2011, 10:14 PM
My advice would be to ignore the brand, it's the mAh rating that you need to look out for - the higher the number the longer they will last in use. Look for anything above 2500 mAh for AA batteries.

Traditional rechargeable batteries will lose their charge over time, they also perform much worse in extreme temperatures compared to non-rechargeable batteries. The answer to the problem is to go for hybrid batteries (often advertised as "ready to go" or something similar). They come ready charged up, which shows you how long they will hold their charge when not in use, and after you have used them can be recharged, but still hold their charge just as well and also perform well in the cold. They are more expensive than standard rechargeables though, and tend to have a lower mAh rating.

I've always found 7 Day Shop to be very reasonable for all batteries, here's a link to their own brand hybrids:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=107341

Spunky86
25th July 2011, 10:43 AM
the 2100mAh 7 day shop battery's are brilliant and go on for ages in the Dakota we use

musketeer
26th July 2011, 10:30 AM
Going slightly offtopic, does anyone have any experience with solar chargers and those booster power backs for mobile phones etc? something like this, http://www.naturalcollection.com/products/solar-technology/freeloader-solar-charger/
is there such a thing for GPSs in case of emergency? I am just thinking I should maybe prepare more, just in case, although i guess there is no guarantee there will be signal for phones...and indeed spare batteries is probably the easiest way, in a sealed plastic bag for protection?

Beadystu
28th September 2011, 11:06 PM
The charger could be causing the discharge (I assume it s switched off). The solar backup are ok, but take a long time to charge. I have a backup which takes 4 AA rechargeables and its great for the phone. (My gps takes AAa's too.)