PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Kent

Sorarse
31st January 2011, 11:01 PM
Started Geocaching 3 weeks ago, and am thoroughly enjoying the excuse to get out of the house!

Have a background that included orienteering many, many years ago, where I was aware of letter boxing, though I never got involved. For some time now I have also been aware of Geocaching, but only decided to look in to it in more detail a few weeks ago.

Using a really old, steam powered, Garmin GPS12XL I went looking for my first cache (GCJB48), which I was really pleased to find, but also enjoyed all the history behind where the cache was hidden, and the tragedy that had happened there so many years ago.

I think it only took a week or so before I decided to upgrade the GPS to something that doesn't look out of place in the 21st century, and I think I have seen more of Kent, especially parts that I didn't know existed, in the last 3 weeks than I have in the last 3 years.

It's already got to the point where when we are planning visits to friends etc., I'm looking to see what caches are nearby that might be worth investigating. Even managed to include a couple of caches during a recent shopping trip to Bluewater.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so just like to say a big hello to you all, and how glad I am to be part of this family.

Palujia
31st January 2011, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the obsession ! Keep an eye on the forums - go to local events and meet others - Its lots of fun in groups (the calendar on the top bar will tell you when and where !!) Seriously - any questions or thoughts - put em on the forum and there is no doubt someone will know the answers -
cheers
paul B

Sorarse
1st February 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome Paul. I've already noticed there is a Kent meet in February not too far from where I live. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'm working or not on the date in question, but if I'm not I am going to try and get along to meet a few people.

Boltonian
1st February 2011, 02:51 AM
I think with a name like that, you should find the thread about how you picked it.:applause:

Welcome from another noob.:cheers:

Was only in Kent twice and hated each time but that was because the car broke down and my then fiancé lived there.:wub:

Jacaru
1st February 2011, 09:45 AM
Hi and welcome to the GAGB. I am sure that you will soon find lots more interesting places in your area that you didn't know existed. I know that I did when I started caching.

Have a flick around the GAGB site and you will find lots of information that will be useful to you, including landowner agreements if, and when, you decide to place a cache or two of your own.

Any questions, one of the committee, or one of our fine members should be able to answer pretty quickly. The new newsletter, Seeker, has just been released and again is an enjoyable read. There is also the useful events diary that you give you all the info on events, including camping events, that are happening around the country.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Daryl (jacaru)

staffsgeo
1st February 2011, 11:15 AM
Welcome Sorarse,

You couldn't be in a more friendly and welcoming place.....:socool:

Tip: No question is Silly in Here !! There is always someone who can answer !:applause:

DrDick&Vick
1st February 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi Sorarse
Welcome to the GAGB, are you related to Dino as I am sure he has a relation called Sorarse.
Glad you are enjoying the hobby, sorry addiction. What did you upgrade the GPS to?
The monthly meetings are also a support group type thing where you can stand up in front of people that suffer from the same addiction, and say "My name is ????? and I am a geocacher, I have been addicted for ?? months"
Enjoy

Sorarse
1st February 2011, 07:34 PM
Jacaru, there is a very nice spot just a couple of miles from where I live that was just ripe for a cache. I read as much as I could about hiding a cache, received permission from the land owner after writing a nice letter giving an outline of what Geocaching was all about, and included all the relevant details in the note to the reviewer. It was published yesterday, so I am just waiting for someone to find it now.

DrDick&Vick, after reading about it, I liked the idea of paperless caching, so bought an Oregon 450. Just getting used to creating pocket queries on the Geocaching site, and it seems to work quite well. Only problem is my wife has got her eye on it, as it has slightly better accuracy than her iPhone, so I have to be careful not to put it down when she is around. :p

Boltonian
1st February 2011, 07:47 PM
DrDick&Vick, after reading about it, I liked the idea of paperless caching, so bought an Oregon 450.

Where can I find information on paperless caching then?
Not that I can afford it on no income.

DrDick&Vick
1st February 2011, 08:59 PM
Have a look at a resource site that has been set up by the UK reviewer 'Graculus' HERE (http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/default.shtml)
I'm on the no income lifestyle as well and still not old enough to draw my state pension but I am lucky enough to have a good pension.