PDA

View Full Version : Major Land Owner approval

The Committee
7th July 2004, 11:37 PM
This thread is for reporting contacts with Major Land Owners (MLOs) where the result has been approval or tacit acceptance of a cache on their land. Originally this thread served as a reference list of such agreements, but we now have a database of all Landowner Agreements (https://www.gagb.org.uk/land-agreements.php) in the UK of which we're aware.

If you've had contact with an MLO which has led to them approving or accepting the placing of a cache on their land, please post details here and we'll add it to the database.

If you're looking for details of an existing agreement with a landowner, consult the Landowner Agreements (https://www.gagb.org.uk/land-agreements.php) database, as not all new agreements appear in this thread.

Please only post details of positive results here. If you've had difficulties with an MLO, or have had a cache refused by an MLO, and you want to discuss that in the forums, please start a new thread.

- - Bill, on behalf of the committee

MCL
8th July 2004, 02:17 AM
Milton Keynes Parks Trust

Last summer the rangers discovered one of my caches while doing some work in that area, and wrote a log in the logbook, posted a note on the website saying who they were and that they had found it and carefully replaced it after completing their work.

The tone of their logs suggested very strongly that they had no objection to the cache being where it was, and basically was saying "good luck with the game!". The fact that they bothered to register on the GC.COM site and post a note I took to be very encouraging.

The Wombles
8th July 2004, 08:31 PM
National Trust

GAGB has been negotiating with the National Trust Headquarters following an approach from one of their people in the South East. They have agreed to allow Geocaching to continue on their property for the foreseeable future and would like cachers to follow GAGB guidelines.

We requested a national agreement but they have decided to continue to monitor Geocaching to gain experience of it and consider it's impact on their land for the moment. Therefore cachers should request placement permission with the relevant local NT warden. GAGB will remain in contact with NT HQ and therefore requests that any issues with NT cache placement are reported to the committee.

Discussions with NT have been positive throughout and GAGB hopes that cachers will observe the guidelines to ensure that this relationship can be enhanced in the future.

Dave on behalf of the committee

Brenin Tegeingl
9th July 2004, 02:28 AM
Denbighshire County Council & Countryside Council of Wales.

I recently contacted the countryside service of Denbighshire CC, for permission to place a cache, unfortunatly, they belive the land in question is Crown Common land, and were unable to give permission. I was advised by them to contact CCW who should be able to give the correct information, as the area is a SSSI. They seemed to have no objections to Geocaching, so hopefully anyone who wishes to place a cache on land owned by them should have no problems.

I have already got a cache in a SSSI, and had to get the permission of CCW's Mold office (countryside council of wales) who are the regulatory body for the Welsh assembly, and have legal control of all activities which take place in SSSI's in Wales (this includes all work that takes place by the landowners in SSSI's), if anyone is intending to place a cache in an area regulated by them, wishes to contact me, I will pass on contact details of the person in the Mold office who I dealt with, who should be able to put you in touch with the relevant person for that area.

Dave

The Wobbly Club
19th July 2004, 01:21 PM
Amesbury Town Council

We have managed to gain permission to place caches on the land owned and managed by the Amesbury Town Council in Wiltshire. It helped a lot knowing the councillors and Town Mayor. They were all very interested. We sent them a CD containing the GAGB Guidelines, the write up from the Hampshire County Council event at Farley Mount along with the excellent TV & Radio coverage taken from the Team Tate website. We also arranged a site meeting to show them how and where the cache would be placed.
As yet we have not managed to persude any of them to come caching with us, but time will tell.

Colin & Daphne

The Wombles
24th July 2004, 07:32 PM
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust

We have been granted permission for one cache on Yorkshire Wildlife Trust land, and we are in negotiation for more general permission for other YWT locations. Please contact us first if you would like to place a chace on this land.

The Wombles
24th July 2004, 07:36 PM
Swindon Ranger Service / North Wiltshire District

I have been granted permission for a pilot cache on Swindon Ranger Service land, who manage a number of sites in North Wiltshire. They appear to be happy with this initial cache and I have requested a more general permission for other cachers.

markandlynn
10th August 2004, 02:38 PM
Shropshire wildlife trust (http://www.shropshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/)

Have now recieved permission for a one year trial at Quarry Wood in Shropshire.
If this goes as planned they will then grant permission for all their other sites.
May also be of help with other wildlife trusts.
They have insisted on refering to CITO on the web page,
letting the warden know the location (allready agreed)
and encouraging responsible behaviour.
I have also offered to organise a CITO event in the next year for them.
Copy of email

Further to your meeting with John McGuiness in Quarry Wood, the Trust
will permit you to undertake to use this site for geocaching for one
year on a trial basis only, starting from 1st September 2004.

Jan Mckelvey
Conservation Manager
Shropshire Wildlife Trust
Tel 01743 284280
Fax 01743 284281

janmckelvey@shropshirewt.cix.co.uk

Our members help us protect Shropshire's wildlife - join today.
Visit www.shropshirewildlifetrust.org.uk

Lactodorum
23rd August 2004, 09:09 AM
South East England Forestry Commission

After lengthy negotiations I have reached an agreement with The Forestry Commission, South East England District whereby for an initial trial period of 1 year, they will allow geocaching to take place in their forests. This is subject to certain conditions which are basically those already agreed with the North Wales district but with the addition that no caches will be allowed in leasehold woods, SSSI’s or SAM sites. You will realise that these conditions will have little practical restriction on cache placement as they already form part of our own guidelines.

Details of the final agreement can be seen in the Groundspeak UK forum (https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=83464) and in the GLAD database.

During the trial period they will be assessing the impact geocaching has on the environment and forestry operations and will gain a better understanding of how it all works in practice.

This is excellent news and my thanks go to everyone who has contributed to getting this agreement. I would also like to thank the Forestry Commission people for the positive way they have worked with us and I trust the trial will prove so successful that they will be able to make the arrangement permanent.

Finally I would urge you NOT to start flooding us with caches on FC land until we have got things working smoothly!!

The Wombles
26th August 2004, 10:39 PM
Wiltshire County Council

GAGB is pleased to announce that Wiltshire County Council has granted permission for the placement of caches on their property.

This is blanket approval provided that cachers follow the GAGB guidelines and WCC are kept informed of the location of those caches, which Lactodorum and Eckington have kindly agreed to do where this is indicated by the placer.

We are grateful to WCC for their assistance and positive approach throughout. We are also grateful to The Bramblers for their original introduction.

Details of the sites covered have been provided by WCC and are listed below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barton Farm Country Park is situated in Bradford on Avon between the Kennet andAvon Canal and the River Avon off the B3109. It is well furnished with seating and picnic benches and a tarmac road runs through part of the park to join the canal. This is perfect for wheelchair access. There is a mixture of interesting habitats including the woodland, river and meadows. The site is home to a medieval pack horse bridge (a scheduled ancient monument) and a Second World War pill box. Parking is available.

Wilton Windmill is located between Wilton village and Burbage. The site is jointly managed by WCC and Wilton Windmill Society. It has benches and again is easily accessible for wheelchairs. Parking is available.

Woodhenge picnic site is located next to Woodhenge Scheduled Ancient Monument and is accessible off the A345 south of Durrington. It act acts as a gateway to the surrounding countryside with access to the archaeologically important landscape around Stonehenge and Woodhenge. There is a small car park at the site with four picnic benches. [note that this is a county wildlife site and will require special permission - contact details through GAGB].

Figsbury Rings car park is located off the A30, north east of Salisbury. This provides access to the National Trust site Figsbury Rings and is located approximately three miles north of Salisbury. Figsbury Rings is an Iron Age hillfort and is designated for its chalk downland flora. It also has excellent views across Wiltshire.

Bratton Camp Open Space, (Westbury White Horse), is accessible from the B3098 via a tarmac bridleway. It is located on top of a chalk grassland ridge between Westbury and Bratton. The ridge forms part of the northern boundary of Salisbury plain. The site adjoins the Bratton Camp and Westbury White Horse, both managed by English Heritage. There is ample parking and outstanding views.

White Horse viewing area is on the B3098 between Wesbury and Bratton. This small site provides safe parking and excellent views of the white horse from below and is just outside Westbury.

Smallgrain picnic area is situated between Calne and Devizes on the south-west side of the Bishops Canning to Calne Road. It is the site of a former scrap dealer's yard. It is now a picturesque setting and a gateway to the surrounding countryside(including access to Morgan's Hill) with ample parking and several picnic benches.
[note that this is a county wildlife site and will require special permission - contact details through GAGB].

Urchfont picnic site is located directly south of Urchfont, and is accessed from the B3098 at Foxley Corner, drive up to the Ridgeway track and turn left at the top in the direction of Urchfont. There is nearby parking and the site has spectacular views across Wiltshire.

--------------------

The Wombles
29th August 2004, 11:51 PM
Hampshire County Council

The Hampshire County Council was the first major landowner to grant permission for geocaching on their land in mid-2003, and the first to hold an event to promote geocaching following negotiations by THE BRAMBLERS.

There are several useful resources on geocaching in Hampshire on this website (http://www.hants.gov.uk/geocaching/) which could also act as a guide for any other major organisations considering geocaching.

Lactodorum
1st September 2004, 08:08 PM
Cheshire County Council

I'm pleased to report that Cheshire County Council have agreed to allow Geocaching on their land (subject to prior notification by Eckington or myself). Further details can be seen here. (https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=35&t=79150)

The Wombles
9th October 2004, 02:42 PM
Warwickshire County Council - Countryside Parks

Thanks to Warwickshire County Council who have authorised caches in their country parks. This mail summarises the agreement. Note that this is for ONE cache at each park, contact in advance to Sally Silk as below with a map or other detailed location details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy to give permission for a cache to be located at each of our country parks, provided your guidelines are adhered to and that I am notified, in advance, of the location of the cache being "hidden". In that way, if there are any probelms with the chosen spot, we can agree somewhere else beforehand.

I would expect that the contents are monitored to ensure nothing untoward is hidden and it probably goes without saying that we would not want any drugs or anything sharp/dangerous put into the caches.

Sally Silk
Country Parks Visitor Manager
Countryside Recreation
Tel: 01827 872660; Fax: 01827 875161
sallysilk@warwickshire.gov.uk

Visit our website at www.warwickshire.gov.uk/countryside for more information about country parks and public rights of way in Warwickshire

Brenin Tegeingl
14th October 2004, 07:43 PM
The Woodland Trust

The The Woodland Trust (http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk) give tacit permision, but leave it to the local Forester to say "yes" or "no". Have a look at their web site for the location of forrests owned by them.
Dave

The Wombles
19th October 2004, 08:04 PM
New Forest - Forestry Commission

The GAGB is delighted to announce permission to place geocaches in the New Forest. After negotiations just short of a full year, the New Forest Forestry Commission has agreed an annual permission which will allow up to 100 physical caches within the New Forest boundaries.

A number of common sense rules must be applied to any cache placed in the New Forest. In general, these rules are the usual GAGB guidelines and New Forest by-laws. In addition, caches must be Tupperware and a maximum of 3L in size.

In addition, the cache placer must accept the terms of the agreement and each cache page must link to the full agreement on the GAGB website with a statement of the nature:
“This cache is located within the New Forest. The rules specified here https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=1 must be applied by any cacher hunting this cache and by hunting this cache you have accepted these conditions. These rules have been applied in the placement of this cache and the cache owner remains responsible for the cache as specified”.

This permission was achieved after working through a number of difficult issues, some related to the particularly sensitive nature of the New Forest area, and some which required the development of mutual understanding. We are pleased to say that this process yielded not only the permission but a good mutual understanding and trust.

The terms of the Agreement have taken considerable work by all parties and we recognise that they may not be to everyone’s liking. However, these were the best solution to the issues raised and must be applied if you wish to go caching in the New Forest. It is essential that these rules are applied to ensure annual renewal of the permission and we request the cooperation of all cachers to achieve this.

In order to celebrate the New Forest permission, GAGB has placed the first cache in the New Forest with formal permission. This will go live shortly.

Through the efforts of Teasel, GAGB now has an Agreements Database which will be used to record agreements and which also tracks the numbers of caches within specified boundaries. This can be found here https://www.gagb.org.uk/land-agreements.php Well done, Ian, cool programming!

Thanks to the entire committee, Lactodorum and Eckington for discussions which developed the ideas in this agreement and in particular to Sarah Tate for supporting face to face meetings.

The Wombles
9th November 2004, 02:15 PM
Gloucestershire County Council

I am pleased to annouce permission from Gloucestershire County Council. Details are within the Agreements Database (https://www.gagb.org.uk/land-agreements.php)

davester
15th November 2004, 06:57 PM
Staffordshire Wildlife Trust

I contacted the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust about permission on one of their sites and after consideration they have decided to trial geocaching on certain sites for a 12 month period.

Their website may be found at http://www.staffordshirewildlife.org.uk/

The reserves identified as being suitable as as follows:-

Brown End Quarry (http://www.staffordshirewildlife.org.uk/brownendquarry.asp?ses=&pl=false)
Thorswood (http://www.staffordshirewildlife.org.uk/reservedetails.asp?ses=&pl=false&rsid=119)
Weags Barn (http://www.staffordshirewildlife.org.uk/reservedetails.asp?ses=&pl=false&rsid=123)
Bateswood (http://www.staffordshirewildlife.org.uk/reservedetails.asp?ses=&pl=false&rsid=110)

If you would like to place a cache at these locations you should contact the Reserves Manager, Helen Gee via email (hgee@staffswt.cix.co.uk) or telephone (01889 880112). Please do not place a cache without first doing this!

As a gesture, I think it would be appropriate to make a clear link to the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust Website on the cache description page and make Cache In-Trash Out facilities available in any caches placed on these reserve.

Lactodorum
3rd February 2005, 08:48 PM
East Anglia Forestry Commission

Thanks to the efforts of Twelvelegs who made the initial contact we now have permission to start applying to place caches in the East Anglia area. I have agreed to use the same process as is used in South East England. The ranger has pointed out that there are a number of sensitive areas categorised as SSSI's where nesting birds are to be found and where they will not allow caches. Apart from this they are very supportive of the sport. As in SE England download the application form from www.geocache.co.uk and send it to me or Eckington once it's completed and we'll do the rest.

Details can be seen in the GLAD database (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=17)

BandMandAandA
2nd April 2005, 03:45 PM
Macclesfield Borough Council (part of Cheshire)
The contact for requesting permission to place caches here is Richard Doran, Countryside Officer. I've just placed my first cache, after about a month of discussion with him - all constructive, it just takes time! He's happy to consider further requests on their individual merits. I believe that he has had to refuse at least one request in the past due to the sensitivity of the location.
See this link for details of sites they manage and Richard's contact details:
http://www.macclesfield.gov.uk/out.asp?main=070308
(Looks likely it could change in the future, so from their home page I found it by looking for "Countryside Sites".

Bill D (wwh)
2nd April 2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that, BandMandAandA! I've added the information to the Agreements Database (https://www.gagb.org.uk/land-agreements.php).

---
Bill, on behalf of the committee

zensunni
5th May 2005, 05:14 PM
A new agreement has been reached with Milton Keynes Parks Trust for caches sited on their land ( the majority but not all of the open space in the town ). If you look at the agreement posted onto the GLAD page you will see they have excluded 4 areas from those suitable for cache sites, they have been excluded in order to protect habitats and sensitive sites.

They have asked that details of all new caches are supplied and a contact e-mail address is in the agreement. ( info@mkparks.co.uk )

The trust have accepted that tacit agreement has been given by previous staff and we have now given them a list of all caches within the town, whether they are sited on MKPT land or not.

Hope that helps others

Anne & Ken ( Zensunni )

The Wombles
22nd May 2005, 08:46 PM
Lancashire County Council

LCC have granted permission on most of their countryside sites. Details are in the Agreements Database. (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=27)

alexkolb
3rd June 2005, 11:08 PM
I sent this email to Bath and North East Somerset CC: -

To Whom It May Concern:
I am a keen walker, and after seeing an article on BBC's Pointswest
programme about geocaching, I tried it out myself. The sport itself
involves people placing caches (small little boxes) across the world;
these caches contain a logbook, small little trinkets to swap and
nothing which would harm animals, woodland and/or the environment. The
cache co-ordinates then get logged on www.geocaching.com. Users from
around the world then go and find the cache, take an item, leave an
item and sign the logbook. Geocachers will then log there visit on the
website and report any news. Geocachers also operate a "Cache in Trash
Out" scheme in which users are encouraged to pick up litter and keep
the countryside the way it should be.

Strict rules and regulations have been set up to control caching in
the UK, one of these being to seek permission from the land owner
before placing a cache. The cache placer also has an obligation to
maintain their cache and has a vested interest in making sure the area
remains a good caching spot.

The benefits of geocaching are vast. It has helped to get many people
outside, including my family, to enjoy the South West's great
locations as well as maintaining the countryside.
As a resident in Banes I was hoping to place a cache and would like to
seek your views on geocaching and whether I would be allowed to do
this.

Yours Sincerely

Alex Kolb

More information can be found at www.geocaching.com/faq and
www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

and then recieved this reply, is this counted as a major land owners approval, or not?

Dear Mr Kolb,

Thank you for your email relating to geocaching in Bath and North East
Somerset.

We have no objections, providing that, as you mention, the landowner's
approval is sought beforehand.

When placing caches please remember that all public rights of way should
remain unobstructed and all stiles, gates, signs etc. should remain
unaffected and kept clear for use by the public.

Regards

Stuart Higgins

Public Rights of Way Technician
Tel: 01225 477650

Is this adequate permission to place a cache?

The Wombles
3rd June 2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by alexkolb@Jun 3 2005, 10:08 PM
<snip>

We have no objections, providing that, as you mention, the landowner&#39;s
approval is sought beforehand.

<snip>

Is this adequate permission to place a cache?
Alex, this sounds sufficient for land owned by Bath And North East Somerset.

Unfortunately, I&#39;ve not identified any such land so far. If you can identify this land or ask them to be specific about which land is covered then we will list it.

This is a good endorsement and well done.

alexkolb
3rd June 2005, 11:46 PM
But isn&#39;t minor roads, dirt tracks etc owned by Banes, or specific people?
I&#39;ll delete this log asap, so not to clutter the forums

John &amp; Hazel
4th June 2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by alexkolb@Jun 3 2005, 11:46 PM
But isn&#39;t minor roads, dirt tracks etc owned by Banes, or specific people?
I&#39;ll delete this log asap, so not to clutter the forums
You might find some useful information about road ownership Here (http://www.cbrd.co.uk/roadsfaq/).
It could help in your search

Bill D (wwh)
4th June 2005, 11:03 PM
Well done, Alex, and thanks for posting it here.

This page (http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/lifeandleisure/leisure/parksandopenspaces/default.htm) contains information about their parks and open spaces, etc.

Lactodorum
15th June 2005, 01:11 PM
Reading Borough Council&#39;s Parks Service

Permission has now been obtained for council owned land in Reading - Details here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=28)

markandlynn
21st June 2005, 10:18 AM
Dear Mark,
I would like to apologise for the delay in my reply and thank you for your patience. After consulting with the legal department I am pleased to inform you that Telford Town Park may be used for geocaching.
I would like to have a trial period of 6 months from 1st July 2005 to 1st January 2006 during which time geocaching will be monitored within the park. I have attached our guidelines and would require that you make all ‘geocachers’ entering the Telford Town Park aware of these guidelines. The guidelines differ slightly from the examples that you provided in that we require that you inform me of the intended location of the cache before it is placed.
I am currently reviewing our web site facility and will be in touch shortly to organise a link. If you would like to organise an event within the Park or require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact .
Once again thank you for your patience.
Regards
Nicola Allen
Telford Town Park Manager

Exploring Telford Town Park with GPS
Cache placement guidelines
Guidelines for Geocaching on land owned/managed by the Borough of Telford & Wrekin Telford Town Park

The following guidelines have been developed by Telford Town Park Management Team and members of the Geocaching Community.
Geocaching is a very new pursuit, and these guidelines are published in draft form in order to ensure that the activity can progress in harmony with the many other interests and legal constraints within the Telford Town Park.
Guidelines
1. Ensure the cache container is clearly marked, stating that the content is harmless and giving the placer&#39;s e-mail address or other contact method.
2. Only items that would be deemed safe and acceptable for an unaccompanied child to find should be placed in the cache.
3. No cache may be placed in such a way as to risk damage or disturbance to property, vegetation or wildlife. Protect our heritage.
4. When placing a cache on a Right of Way, the onus is on the placer to seek the permission of the landowner.
5. No items of food or drink of any kind should be placed in the cache.
6. Caches must not be buried, and holes must not be dug in order to place a cache.
7. Caches must not be hidden in animal holes or runs.
8. Cache containers must not be placed inside a polythene bag.
9. Fences should never be crossed when placing or seeking a cache.
10. No caches should be of a commercial nature, either in location or content.
11. Before placing a cache in the Town Park, the Telford Town Park Manager must be informed to ensure that the cache does not compromise the management of the site. .
12. Maintenance of the cache is the responsibility of the placer.
13. When leaving the cache site, after finding or hiding a cache, there must be no visual sign of disturbance.
14. For reasons of safety and security the Borough of Telford & Wrekin discourage geocaching on their land during the hours of darkness.
15. Please do not bring geocaching into disrepute, never drive your car anywhere other than on the highways and byways, and always park sensibly in approved places only.

FIrst caches and the first cache listing are ready to go suggest contact is through markandlynn initially. markdavis at btinternet dot com

markandlynn
29th June 2005, 07:37 PM
Update Telfor town park is now placed. They want to watch this onme for 3 - 4 months before placing anymore. They will contact me directly. In the meantime if anyone wants to place one in this area they should contact ourslves.
Cheers
Markandlynn
public liability insurance is the big issue at the moment

Bill D (wwh)
29th June 2005, 09:26 PM
Well done Markandlynn, and thanks for the information. :) I&#39;ve added it to the Landowner database.

thunderbird30
7th July 2005, 03:50 PM
Scottish Natural Heritage

I&#39;ve received the following email from the Caroline Henderson (Recreation & Access Group Scottish Natural Heritage) regarding Geocaching on their land.Hopefully this will be of help.

I refer to your email of 8 June 2005 and apologise for the delay in responding
to your query. Scottish Natural Heritage does not have a specific policy on
geocaching, but I hope that the following advice is of assistance.

SNH promotes care and improvement of the natural heritage, its responsible
enjoyment, its greater understanding and appreciation, and its sustainable use
now and for future generations. Further information is available at
www.snh.org.uk.

SNH owns or manages by agreement a number of National Nature Reserves (NNRs).
Details are given on www.nnr-scotland.org.uk. We also have an interest in other
sites designated for their natural heritage interest, notably Sites of Special
Scientific Interest (SSSI), Special Protection Areas (SPA) and Special Areas of
Conservation (SAC). Lists of these sites can be found at http://www.snh.org.uk/
and further details of individual sites can be obtained from SNH Area Offices.

Statutory access rights apply to most land and inland water in Scotland. These
rights come with responsibilities, which are set out in the Scottish Outdoor
Access Code. The 3 basic principles are to respect the interests of other
people, care for the environment, and take responsibility for your own actions.
Further details are given in www.outdooraccess-scotland.com.

We welcome the Guidelines drawn up by the Geocaching Association of Great
Britatin, and particularly emphasise the importance of the following points in
relation to sites of natural heritage importance:
· No cache should be placed in such a way as to risk damage or disturbance
to any SSSI, NNR, SPA or SAC.
· No items of food or drink of any kind should be placed in the cache.
· Caches should not be buried, and holes should not be dug in order to
place a cache.
· Caches should not be hidden in animal holes or runs.
· When leaving the cache site, after hiding or placing a cache, there
should be no visual sign of disturbance.
· Never drive your car anywhere other than on highways, and always park
legally and responsibly.

SNH also request that geocachers
· Follow the guidance on responsible access set out in the Scottish
Outdoor Access Code (www.outdooraccess-scotland.com).
· Contact the NNR manager (contact details are given on
www.nnr-scotland.org.uk) if you are considering placing a cache on a National
Nature Reserve.
· Contact the SNH Area Office (contact details on www.snh.org.uk) if you
are considering placing a cache on any other natural heritage site (e.g. SSSI,
SAC, SPA).
· Be aware that any person who intentionally or recklessly damages any
natural feature specified in an SSSI notification is guilty of an offence under
Section 19(1) of the Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me at the
address below, or send access-related queries to recreationandaccess@snh.gov.uk.

Caroline

Bill D (wwh)
7th July 2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for posting that, thunderbird30&#33; They seem quite well-disposed toward geocaching, and there&#39;s some useful information in there, and some useful links too.

Lactodorum
12th July 2005, 09:04 AM
FC Central Scotland

Thanks to Allieballie for working with this organisation which covers much of the lowland area between Glasgow & Edinburgh. I have posted details in the GLAD. (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=30)

The Wombles
28th July 2005, 09:21 PM
Worcestershire County Council

WCC have granted permission on most of their countryside sites. Details are in the
GAGB Landowner Agreements Database (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=31)

Bill D (wwh)
28th July 2005, 10:15 PM
Another County Council&#33; That&#39;s really good news - well done Dave&#33; :D

Happy Landins
18th August 2005, 01:05 AM
I recently spoke to David Shiel who is in charge of the Clwydian Range AONB and Denbighshire Countryside at their Loggerheads Office. He has agreed to allow caches on their land, but not on SSSIs or Archaeological sites. If you want to place a cache, talk to David - he is keen to have more people coming into their area, and sees geocaching as a way to encourage this.

david.shiel@denbighshire.gov.uk

For conditions, see the agreement is on the data base

David Landin

Happy Landins

Bill D (wwh)
18th August 2005, 08:53 PM
And another County Council - that&#39;s excellent&#33; Well done, David&#33; :D

milvus-milvus
30th September 2005, 12:07 PM
I&#39;ve been in discussion with the Northants Forestry Commission for several months, to try to get permission to place caches in several of their woodlands in the South of the County.

I have today received draft permission - with an indication that written confirmation will follow. I will post more details here when this is received.

:D
Baz.

Dorsetgal
3rd October 2005, 05:18 PM
I have started talks with the warden of Upton Heath Nature Reserve, which stretches between Corfe Mullen, Broadstone and Upton, Dorset. It is managed by Dorset Wildlife Trust. This reserve is an SSSI and it is early days yet.

However, the warden did give verbal permission for one cache which he was able to look at this afternoon with me ... see my log here (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb15cf3e-6bc0-4ea4-aa65-fa54672cd142).

So, it&#39;s a watch this space from this part of Dorset.

Regards,
Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Bill D (wwh)
3rd October 2005, 10:23 PM
Baz and Wendy, both of those sound very hopeful&#33; :) Let us know what happens.

simmofamily
12th October 2005, 03:13 PM
CALDERDALE COUNCIL (Halifax)[U]

After a couple of months correspondence I have just been given permission by the Assistant Parks Manager for Calderdale Council in West Yorkshire to use the Peoples Park in Halifax for geocaching. He agreed in principle for all his sites (subject to confirmation from him).

I have his e-mail address if anyone requires it.

paul.blitz
18th November 2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by simmofamily@Oct 12 2005, 02:13 PM
CALDERDALE COUNCIL (Halifax)[U]

After a couple of months correspondence I have just been given permission by the Assistant Parks Manager for Calderdale Council in West Yorkshire to use the Peoples Park in Halifax for geocaching. He agreed in principle for all his sites (subject to confirmation from him).

I have his e-mail address if anyone requires it.
Excellent news&#33;

Dave (Womble) seems to be the one looking after the landowner database: maybe you could contact him with the details so they too can be added to the database&#33;

Paul

Nibbly
5th December 2005, 06:45 PM
Godmanchester Town Council, Cambridgeshire

After some initial worries over insurance cover Godmanchester Town Council, having disussed the request with all members, have agreed to a six month trial of one cache on Council owned land. I may even get the Mayor to sign the log&#33;

The Wombles
18th December 2005, 07:18 PM
New Forest Forestry Commission

GAGB is pleased to announce the renewal of the Permission to cache from the New Forest Forestry Commission. Details can be found in the GAGB Landowner Agreements Database. (https://www.gagb.org.uk/land-agreements.php)

This renewal is important to GAGB because the original negotiation started from a difficult situation and required extensive work to reach agreement. GAGB has been working at the agreement over the last year to ensure that issues are resolved to the satisfaction of the NF FC and we are pleased that this has resulted in renewal of the agreement.

markandlynn
23rd January 2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by markandlynn@Jun 29 2005, 06:37 PM
Update Telfor town park is now placed. They want to watch this one for 3 - 4 months .
Permission system is now permanent after a very succesfull 3 month trial.

People may wish to note that we have forwarded every log to the land owners who have found this information very helpfull.

They also have thier own log in account read the forums and have been in direct contact with groundspeak now if i could just persuade them to create a watchlist :) it would save me some emails &#33;.

Bill D (wwh)
23rd January 2006, 05:21 PM
markandlynn wrote:
Permission system is now permanent after a very succesfull 3 month trial.
Excellent, well done&#33;

Sending logs to the landowner is really good - it provides them with regular feedback on people&#39;s experiences of visiting their site.

You&#39;ll just have to keep plugging away at that watchlist...&#33;

Adimension
20th March 2006, 06:08 PM
National Trust – Osterley Park – West London

I know you already have the blanket agreement from the NT listed in the database, but I just thought I’d leave this info too.

I contacted the Property Manager at Osterley Park in January to ask permission to place a cache. It took them quite a while to come back to me and there was a lengthy exchange of emails, but eventually I got the go ahead in mid February and put the box on site for a one month trial period.

I explained the idea of signing up to geocaching.com and putting the cache on a watchlist and I believe that they have been keeping an eye on it that way.

The one month trial has now ended and the management at the park are happy for it to remain with a further review planned in six months time.

Rather embarrassingly about a week after I placed my box another cacher set one up in the park without permission, in a flower bed… next to the toilets&#33;&#33;&#33; She has yet to respond to emails from me or the NT.

Overall the contact has been very positive and (hopefully) my cache could be used as an example to other NT wardens of how geocaching can be discrete and considerate.

The Wombles
20th March 2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Adimension@Mar 20 2006, 06:08 PM
National Trust – Osterley Park – West London

I know you already have the blanket agreement from the NT listed in the database, but I just thought I’d leave this info too.

I contacted the Property Manager at Osterley Park in January to ask permission to place a cache. It took them quite a while to come back to me and there was a lengthy exchange of emails, but eventually I got the go ahead in mid February and put the box on site for a one month trial period.

I explained the idea of signing up to geocaching.com and putting the cache on a watchlist and I believe that they have been keeping an eye on it that way.

The one month trial has now ended and the management at the park are happy for it to remain with a further review planned in six months time.

Rather embarrassingly about a week after I placed my box another cacher set one up in the park without permission, in a flower bed… next to the toilets&#33;&#33;&#33; She has yet to respond to emails from me or the NT.

Overall the contact has been very positive and (hopefully) my cache could be used as an example to other NT wardens of how geocaching can be discrete and considerate.

Well done for getting this arrangement in place.

If you don&#39;t get a response from the "illegal" cache placer after 3-4 attempts then use the "should be archived" link on the cache page and fill in all the details of your permission and contact attempts. The reviewers will take it from there.

The Wombles
30th April 2006, 08:05 PM
Durham County Council

I&#39;m pleased to announce an agreement with Durham CC Rangers for permission to place caches on their 28 countryside locations (including more than 56 miles of railway paths).

The agreement and details can be found here in the database. (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=34)

Lactodorum
17th May 2006, 05:00 PM
Forestry Commission - Peak District

Thanks to the initial efforts of a 14 year old geocacher I have now got agreement from the local FC for caches in the Peak District (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=35)

Bill D (wwh)
17th May 2006, 11:04 PM
Nice to see youngsters going about things the right way - that&#39;s great&#33; :)

Malpas Wanderer
17th August 2006, 10:24 AM
Landowner Agreements.

I have negotiated with a local Landowner for permission to cache on their land.

Whilst perhaps not a Major Land Owner with 14000 acres total they have agreed in principal to permit geocaching on approx 1000 acres and I consider inclusion on the GAGB Database to be useful to prospective placers and seekers of specific Landowner requirements.

Having availed the Landowner of several typical agreements from the GAGB database (and causing a 6 month delay) I have been tasked with raising the local agreement which I expect to be a signed document.

I think I have produced a reasonable document but I would like to get forum members views on several points before I bring it into force.

Can I replicate the GAGB guidelines in the agreement? I currently have complete with the Copyright 2004 declaration.

How is the agreement conveyed and included onto the GAGB database, the formatted document is quite large to email, There might also be a plan associated which as yet I do not know the size?

Please make me :D :D :D by providing timely and correct advice.

Colin

Bill D (wwh)
17th August 2006, 11:16 AM
Colin, thank you for all that&#33; Yes, you can certainly use the GAGB guidelines as part of the agreement. And yes, we would include it in the GAGB database.

The agreement would be entered manually in the database - you could email it to me, or if you consider it too large to send then send me a paper copy (I&#39;ve emailed you my postal address) and I&#39;ll copy type it. We can also include a map of the land involved if required.

Bill D (wwh)
11th November 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks to Malpas Wanderer, we now have an agreement with Englefield Estate Trust Corporation Limited, Theale, Reading, Berkshire to place caches on Theale Community Woodland. It can be found in the GAGB agreements database here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/land-agreements.php).

A big thank you to Colin aka Malpas Wanderer&#33;

Mrs Blorenge
12th January 2007, 12:18 PM
Do you want info passed on where permissions have been given for individual cache placements, rather than "blanket" cover?

E.g.
1.We have received permission to place caches in FC land along the west side of the Wye valley, near Tintern. This was granted by the local FC Manager for the woodland.
2. Similarly, at another FC location just NE of Newport, permission was given by the FC Recreation Admin Officer in Neath.
3. Our local Country Park warden gave permission for our cache near Caldicot castle. I suspect if we&#39;d waited for Monmouthshire County Council to make a decision it would still be here underneath my desk.
4. Coppett Hill Common Trust (near Goodrich) gave permission for our cache and I understand that they have since given permission for a couple of other caches on their land.

Whilst these are hardly Major Land Owner agreements the details may be useful for new cachers looking for "contacts".

Bill D (wwh)
12th January 2007, 02:12 PM
Mrs B, what we&#39;re really looking for here is blanket permissions where other cachers can either just go out and place a cache knowing they&#39;re covered, or can contact the relevant person named in the agreement to check before placing a cache. Any blanket permissions, whether "major" or not, are useful and will be added to the GAGB agreements database, subject to permission from whoever obtained the agreement, of course. The cacher who obtained permission will be credited in the agreement unless they&#39;d prefer not to be.

The ones you&#39;ve mentioned seem to be one-off permissions rather than blanket ones, but correct me if I&#39;m wrong.

The Wombles
12th January 2007, 05:54 PM
Mrs B, whilst Bill is right that this thread is for blanket agreements, your post is good information for others wishing to negotiate their own permission for individual caches in these places, so it would be useful to post this as a new thread in this permissions forum.

milvus-milvus
27th January 2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by milvus&#045;milvus@Sep 30 2005, 11:07 AM
I&#39;ve been in discussion with the Northants Forestry Commission for several months, to try to get permission to place caches in several of their woodlands in the South of the County.

I have today received draft permission - with an indication that written confirmation will follow. I will post more details here when this is received.

:D
Baz.
It&#39;s been a long time since I posted the above message :rolleyes: - but I did get written permission to place caches in various FC woodlands in South Northants. It was for a limited timeframe of one year; but the caches seem to have been well received, the FC are still supportive, and I&#39;ve just been granted an extension to the end of 2007.

I can supply contact details for anyone else who might be looking to place caches in Northants.

The Wombles
27th January 2007, 08:59 PM
That&#39;s good news, well done.

jimblonduk
31st January 2007, 03:45 PM
Received today ....

Dear Mr Leishman,

Thank you for your request.

I have discussed this matter with our Solicitor, and we are pleased to be able to grant your request for permission to place geocaches on land owned by Tamworth Borough Council.

Obviously open space is very much at a premium in an urban area such as Tamworth, and we would insist that your code of conduct is adhered to at all times, and reserve the right to withdraw permission at any time

Yours Sincerely

Andrew Barratt

Assistant Director (Asset Management)
Tamworth Borough Council

.... copy also sent to Staffs CC but no reply as yet

Full email forwarded to Dave.

nobbynobbs
31st January 2007, 04:52 PM
excellent&#33;&#33;

Bill D (wwh)
31st January 2007, 08:06 PM
That&#39;s really good - well done for getting that agreement&#33; :)

The Wombles
31st January 2007, 08:28 PM
Gary, That&#39;s excellent news, well done and thanks.

It&#39;s now listed on GLAD here. (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=41)

Mrs Blorenge
1st February 2007, 08:37 AM
Good news on Tamworth - thanks for that :)

Cache U Nutter
27th February 2007, 10:26 AM
Re National Trust[ Box Hill etc]
Please view under additional topics

markandlynn
27th November 2007, 05:25 PM
Just realised that the telford town park permision was ratified as permanent quite a while ago so the six month part can be removed from the agreements database.

The Wombles
27th November 2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by markandlynn@Nov 27 2007, 05:25 PM
Just realised that the telford town park permision was ratified as permanent quite a while ago so the six month part can be removed from the agreements database.

Done, and well done.

Bill D (wwh)
27th November 2007, 07:04 PM
That&#39;s great, Mark and Lynn, congratulations on getting it made permanent&#33;

reelcutter
23rd January 2008, 04:51 PM
I have just had permission from Sandwell council for the placement of a cache in one of their reserves, it is for a one years trial to see out how it works out, as it is the first of they are aware of on their land.

Bill D (wwh)
23rd January 2008, 08:12 PM
Hopefully all will go well with the trial, and you may then be able to get a blanket agreement with them&#33;

Ezitis
19th March 2008, 03:28 PM
Oops, I just realized I was supposed to post here, rather than start a new topic (which is what I did; see https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=1288). I&#39;ll repeat here what I said there, so feel free to delete my other topic.

----------

Last week, I received permission to cache in the Llanymddyfri Forest District, which includes the Brecon Beacons and Pembrokeshire.

I pointed my contact, Mansel Jones, to the "FC NW Wales" agreement, and he is happy for that to be copied over under the name "Llanymddyfri Forest District".

Please could the person responsible for maintaining the GLAD database add our new agreement to the page? Then I&#39;ll send Mansel the link, and we&#39;ll be all set to go caching&#33;

Thanks very much&#33; :)

Simon (Ezitis)

P.S. There&#39;s a link to a PDF showing the forest district boundaries on this page:

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-5nmkfk

Happy Humphrey
26th June 2009, 09:09 AM
I guess my MNH posting (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2130)should also have been posted here...but good work from Brian (BiffyRich) has led to a sensible agreement with Manx National Heritage;

"Brian

I’ve discussed your request with colleagues and on the basis that it is understood that the general principle of placing caches is that it does not involve any digging or ground disturbance in placing the cache, we do not have any difficulty with the placing of the cache in this location at Maughold Head. For our records, could you please provide a detailed GPS reference for the cache location. To avoid geocache participants straying into the lighthouse property which is in private ownership, you may wish to think about amended wording which directs people to the location of the car park before they reach the lighthouse entrance?

Thank you for providing the link to the Geocaching Association of Great Britain website regarding the National Trust approval for placing of geocaches on their sites, subject to certain safeguards.

From MNH’s point of view, for the purposes of dealing with any future requests for placement of geocaches and to avoid any potential conflict, it may help to understand MNH’s role and also to suggest some guidelines.

By way of general background, MNH sites and landholdings contain areas that may be particularly sensitive from either archaeological or habitat perspectives. MNH also has a wider duty in relation to the protection of ancient monuments and where formal guardianship exists, the maintenance of monuments that are not within MNH’s ownership. The Manx Museum and National Trust Act 1959 and Bye-laws prescribe MNH’s powers and duties and set down measures designed to regulate, preserve and protect Trust property.

In the case of habitats, some MNH sites have an additional level of statutory protection in the form of ASSI (Area of Special Scientific Interest) and NNR (National Nature Reserve) designations and in one instance, a European RAMSAR designation.

There may be sensitive locations where MNH does not wish to encourage a greater concentration of public access and use and each case will need to be considered on its merits.

MNH also has a duty to provide access to and enjoyment of buildings and places within its ownership or care and undertaken responsibly, geocaching may be acceptable on MNH sites, except within the curtilage of listed and/or guardianship monuments but subject to the following:

• Prior to any geocache being placed on MNH land an email request should be made to MNHPropertiesManagement@gov.im containing the draft geocache description of the site and detailed GPS reference for the cache location;
• MNH will normally endeavour to respond to the request by email within 10 working days;
• The placement of the cache must be non-destructive/non-invasive;
• The placement of the cache must present no increase in the risk of subsequent damage by erosion at or on the approaches to the location;
• The cache can be reached by established footways and access points;
• There is no risk of disturbance to protected bird, animal or plant life;
• MNH reserves the right to remove any cache without notice if it deems appropriate to do so;
• Any consent to locate the geocache on MNH land should be acknowledged in the geocache description."

Bill D (wwh)
26th June 2009, 11:06 PM
As I've said in the other thread, with Brian's permission I've now posted the agreement in our database here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=67).

thekennelat79
4th October 2009, 10:37 PM
Not exactly major news, but an indication of forward thinking.

Hollybank Woods, just north of Emsworth, Hampshire.

This mixed woodland, which covers around 150 acres, is owned by Havant Borough Council but long term management has been devolved to a local group of volunteers.

This group (The Friends of Hollybank Woods) includes a BBC Natural History unit cameraman. They aware that there are currently 8 established caches in the general area, and have absolutely no problem with that.
In fact, the group has asked me to encourage cachers into the area. I have set up a GC account in the group's name and at least one new cache will be set (by me) on their behalf.

They are very keen to encourage the public into the woodland, and see caching as an excellent way of achieving this. To this end, I have started the ball rolling by plagarising a little "write-up" for the group's website.
http://www.hollybank-woods.hampshire.org.uk/index.html (http://www.hollybank-woods.hampshire.org.uk/index.html)

It ha been suggested, that a "public caching day" might be organised, with GPS units being loaned out for the public to try (under supervision?).
This idea is at a very early stage, and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has practical experience to pass on.

Several neighbouring woodland management groups have heard about this initiative and are discussing the possibility of doing something similar.

So, all in all, not a bad thing so far.

nobbynobbs
5th October 2009, 07:24 AM
keep me informed rod and i'll see if i'm free to come along as the GAGB :)

reddeeps
18th June 2010, 09:26 AM
FC east anglia

The review is now complete and new guidelines issued.
Do I need to email details on to someone?
No more written applications needed, or any fee, just a few guidelines to follow, I am so pleased. Well worth the 18 month wait

The Wombles
19th June 2010, 09:40 PM
FC east anglia

The review is now complete and new guidelines issued.
Do I need to email details on to someone?
No more written applications needed, or any fee, just a few guidelines to follow, I am so pleased. Well worth the 18 month wait

Well done. I wasn't around yesterday so not sure if anyone else has dealt with this, if not then please send details to me and I'll do so.

reddeeps
20th June 2010, 08:05 AM
OK I have sent it via gc.com as it was too long for the pm on here.
The agreement is a word doc i could email if its easier to read as that rather than via gc.com

Jacaru
26th July 2010, 07:20 PM
Forestry Commission - Peak District

Thanks to the initial efforts of a 14 year old geocacher I have now got agreement from the local FC for caches in the Peak District (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=35)

Hiya, when I click on the Peak District link it takes me back to the main page, can anyone help. I need to contact someone as soon as poss to get permission in place for a cache for the Summer's End event. Cheers.

DrDick&Vick
26th July 2010, 08:44 PM
That post was originally made back in 2006 so the chances are that the agreement may no longer be in place.
I have checked th GLAD andthere is no sign of it.

The Wombles
26th July 2010, 09:54 PM
I think that this one (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=35) covers it.

Jacaru
26th July 2010, 10:09 PM
I think that this one (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=35) covers it.

Thanks Dave, I have sent an email. I am not sure whether this chap will be able to help, but may be able to point me in the right direction.

The cache is in an SSSI and although there are a couple of caches within the area, they have been there for some years and may not have had the same stipulations when they were placed. I will keep everyone involved.

Thanks again, Daryl

mo and mike
24th January 2013, 08:02 PM
The Forestry Commission Land at, Delamere Forest and Primrose Woods near Kelsall, Cheshire bare working forests with a 5 year rotational maintenance programme, felling, thinning and planting trees.
Having had a meeting with Richard Topley, Forestry manager, based at Delamere Forest, recently, I have established that caches can be place within the above forests, as long as geocachers adhere to certain conditions.
If anybody is interested in placing caches within the above forests, then contact, mo-and-mike@tiscali.co.uk. They will email back the above details and no go areas map.

eusty
25th January 2013, 07:45 AM
Worth adding the the GLAD?

The Wombles
25th January 2013, 05:03 PM
Worth adding the the GLAD?

Yes I mailed mo and mike to request details for GLAD last night.

The Wombles
27th January 2013, 08:17 PM
Now included on GLAD here. (https://www.gagb.org.uk/agreement_view.php?p=136)