PDA

View Full Version : Search results display problem

Bill D (wwh)
14th June 2003, 11:05 PM
When I do a search then go to forum pages from the list of results, the search terms are invisible on those pages.

I just did a search for 'calendar'. In the forum pages that come up, every time the word 'calendar' should occur, there's a blank space. If I use the cursor to highlight the text the word appears, so presumably it's some sort of font problem causing the word to disappear against the background.

Admin
14th June 2003, 11:55 PM
Ahhh! I think I have an answer for this problem.

Will try and sort it tomorow.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Bill.

Admin
15th June 2003, 10:04 AM
Yep !

That fixed it. :D

Bill D (wwh)
15th June 2003, 09:38 PM
Many thanks, the search terms are now highlighted in a nice medium blue! :)

Now for something you don't want to know. ;) The search is presumably case sensitive, so if the capitalisation is different in the forum text to the way it was in the search then the search term is not highlighted. Also, it's not highlighted if it has adjacent punctuation, for example if it's in inverted commas.

Just trying to keep you busy! :D

Admin
16th June 2003, 09:27 AM
I discovered that the same colour is used to highlight text elsewhere, and one of those "elsewhere's" had a green background. The mid blue on the green background was 'orrible, so I have changed it to dark blue.
The search is presumably case sensitive
No, it's not, thankfully :D

Also, it's not highlighted if it has adjacent punctuation
Hmmm ! Unfortnately, this is true. :angry:

I believe this is fairly common on 'simple' search facilities, and it looks like fairly major work to overcome it. The pain is probably not worth the gain but will take a look at the support for this issue.