PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

shadow3d
8th February 2011, 10:22 PM
Hi all, I'm new to GCing.I have a question, as I am in the UK do I set my GPS to the British grid, so the map datum is ord srvy GB or WGS 84 as stated GC.com, or is wgs84 just for N.America .
Thanks in advance Chris

DrDick&Vick
8th February 2011, 11:07 PM
If you have a look HERE (http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/gps.html) you can learn all about GPS settings.
A very helpful website set up by Graculus, one of the UK cache reviewers

Jacaru
8th February 2011, 11:37 PM
Hiya and welcome to the world of geocaching and to the GAGB, if there is anything else that you want to ask, please feel free, we can usually have an answer for you pretty quickly.

Boltonian
9th February 2011, 12:57 AM
Didnt know there was a choice, it just works.
Hiya.
From the Boltonian.
(Derek)

Bear and Ragged
9th February 2011, 12:00 PM
Hiya.
From the Boltonian.
(Derek)
Most GPR's default setting is what Groundspeak's settings...
Or is it Groundspeak use the default setting for most GPS's? :lol:

Lat/Long HDDD° MM.MMM
and WGS84

Mrs Blorenge
9th February 2011, 12:33 PM
Hiya.
From the Boltonian.
(Derek)

It's important that your GPS is set up to the correct units, as in B&R's post above.

Lat/Long HDDD° MM.MMM
and WGS84

If it's not set as above, it'll still work... it just won't be accurate

Read here for a fuller explanation: Co-ordinates and map datum (http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/gps.html#coords)

Note:
"If you want to use your GPS with the position format of British Grid (Ordnance Survey) then make sure you change the Map Datum to Ordnance Survey. Similarly if you change from Ordnance Survey back to Lat/Long HDDD° MM.MMM then check the map datum is WGS84. If you end up with the coordinates on one format and the map datum on the other you'll find your GPS is incorrect by about 300 feet (100 meters)."

:)

Fermentum
9th February 2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome to Caching!

shadow3d
9th February 2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all of your advice and quick replys.