PDA

View Full Version : Caches on NT Property without their Permission

Brenin Tegeingl
5th April 2011, 09:51 AM
Note of Advice for Members who have older caches on NT Property without their Permission!

One piece of advice for any one who has a Cache on NT property, without NT Permission (mainly those placed in the early years of Geocaching in the UK) please now obtain permission for your cache. The NT are now actively placing their own caches, and as Landowners are requiring any cache placed without their permission, blocking the publication of one of their own caches due to proximity to be removed. Where the cache has their permission, the situation is that they re-locate their cache. I'm aware of several older caches which the NT were aware of, without Permission, that the NT happily gave permission for when contacted by the Cache Owner. The NT are happy to work around any cache on their property with their permission when placing their own caches.

Deci

Boltonian
5th April 2011, 04:28 PM
Spoil sports.
Not that it affects me.

Brenin Tegeingl
5th April 2011, 04:56 PM
Spoil sports.
Not that it affects me.

The NT are very supportive of Geocaching, provided that they have given permission for a cache. Every cache owner agrees that they have Adequate Permission when submitting a cache for Review. The NT National Agreement has been in place for a extended period, that means each CO has had ample opportunity to obtain permission for their caches.

Simple question for you, you own a plot of land and wish to place a cache there. As a Geocacher your very supportive of other Geocachers placing caches on your land, with your permission. However a cache placed without your permission, is blocking your cache. So would you be in the wrong to require that cache be uplifted so yours could be published? Especially as the owner of that cache, had not respected you enough to ask for permission for that cache, despite knowing that your pro-geocaching!

That's the position the NT are taking, respect works both ways. Show no respect and don't expect to be shown respect back.

The NT are happily giving retrospective permission for caches, even those placed as far back as 2003. That's the NT giving respect back to those who have shown them respect by asking for permission.

Deci

beefy4605
5th April 2011, 08:29 PM
Seems like a good arangement to me - if you took a chance in the past you now have a chance to sort it out . If you continue to take a chance then you have no one to blame but yourself when it gets archived.

lawfordlass
30th May 2011, 12:12 PM
Hi! Just wondering if anyone can help with a direct contact at the NT for cache placement permission in the Eastern England area (Bridge Cottages, Flatford to be precise).

I've set a series of caches with Lennyemmy (20 in total) around the area in Dedham Vale and 3 of them are on NT property, so the whole series has been on hold since before Easter whilst we seek permission for those three. I've emailed various address, phoned the local and HQ offices and still no joy with getting a response at all.

Can anyone help? It's getting quite frustrating now! Even a "no" response would be welcomed at this stage so we can actually move forward with our plans for the series!

Thanks in advance!

Maple Leaf
30th May 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi! Just wondering if anyone can help with a direct contact at the NT for cache placement permission in the Eastern England area (Bridge Cottages, Flatford to be precise). ......

Hi

Just looking at their website, the contacts I would try would be:

flatfordbridgecottage@nationaltrust.org.uk (flatfordbridgecottage@nationaltrust.org.uk?subjec t=)

or the regional office number on this page (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-global/w-localtoyou/w-eastengland/w-eastofengland-contacts.htm)

However, I assume those are the ones you have already tried. It might be worth contacting other cachers in Eastern England (who have caches on NT land) to see if they have a contact name.

In my area (Somerset), I used to deal directly with the local Countryside manager, but recently all geocaching permission for Somerset is being handled by the Outdoor Experience Manager (Somerset Countryside). I email the coords/details to her and then receive a document detailing the permission and a few conditions. That information has to be entered as a reviewer note before the caches are published.

Good luck in obtaining the permission.

lawfordlass
30th May 2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you Maple Leaf, I had managed to miss the flatford bridge cottage email address you've given above. My searching obviously sucks!! I did get the phone number though they didn't have a clue! Fingers crossed for a quick response from them via email :)

I have been in touch with local cachers too, but no luck there either :( my only other option is to actually visit the NT property at Bridge Cottages and see if there is someone to speak to in person I guess!

Will try the email address first though. Thank you again.

N0hope
28th April 2013, 07:27 PM
Hi, does anyone know how long the NT take to give permission for a cache on their land? I have a series of 10 caches registered but all are suspended until I get permission for one cache that is just onto NT land. The cache is on the Claydon House Estate, near Buckingham and is on open access land. I have fully complied with the GAGB/ NT agreement and sent fill details, including copies and links to Magicmaps. Geocaching.com state they can not publish the series until permission is granted, but I can not get a reply from the NT.

Maple Leaf
28th April 2013, 07:56 PM
I have always got fairly quick responses whenever I have contacted the NT.

Did you use this address (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/claydon/) ?

Depending on how long ago you sent the email, it may be worth sending the email again, in case it is been overlooked and is buried in the bottom of someones inbox. Or give them a ring.

N0hope
29th April 2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks Maple Leaf, Yes that's the address I used. I asked for permission 2 weeks ago. I will give them until the end of this week and then resend.

N0hope
3rd May 2013, 08:50 PM
Finally had a reply from Claydon House. They cannot give permission as the NT will be putting a series of caches on the estate in the very near future, unfortunately nobody at HQ has told the staff at the house where these caches will be.
I've moved my cache location off their land so it will not interfere with any caches they will be putting out and am looking forward to a few new caches in my backyard :)