PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Etrex H - best mapping software

look4box
24th May 2011, 03:31 PM
Newbie looking for help.

Just waiting for my PC interface cable, and wondered what others thoughts are on either EasyGPS or GASK, as a means of getting gpx data into Etrex H ?

Is it down to personal preference ? is it user friendliness or functionality. My preference would be for the simpliest and slickest - oh did I say free or low cost.

I may give each a go - but welcome your replies

DrDick&Vick
25th May 2011, 06:18 PM
you can load the caches via Mapsource (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209) which is a free program from Garmin.

Bear and Ragged
25th May 2011, 11:25 PM
Personal preference ? GSAK.
You get to try it -fully functioning- for 21 days. After which you will get a nag screen asking if you would like to pay. It will still be fully functioning, but the nag screen keeps appearing!

EasyGPS will do the job.
Don't know how much 'manipulating' can be done to the info...

GSAK forums are VERY helpful. Best to register there with the same username as on Groundspeaks site.

look4box
26th May 2011, 12:49 AM
you can load the caches via Mapsource (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209) which is a free program from Garmin.

thanks for the link !

You get to try it -fully functioning- for 21 days. After which you will get a nag screen asking if you would like to pay. It will still be fully functioning, but the nag screen keeps appearing!

EasyGPS will do the job.

GSAK forums are VERY helpful. Best to register there with the same username as on Groundspeaks site.

:cheers: will look at GSAK once I get my broadband connection sorted (don't ask). Today I got the serial lead thru the post, and I downloaded some waypoints into EasyGPS very quick.

DrDick&Vick
26th May 2011, 10:42 AM

EasyGPS will do the job.

I use GSAK myself, just think that initially Mapsource or some other similar thing would be easier to start with.
Must admit I avoided GSAk initially but now use it all the time.

look4box
26th May 2011, 05:12 PM
I use GSAK myself, just think that initially Mapsource or some other similar thing would be easier to start with.
Must admit I avoided GSAk initially but now use it all the time.

will follow your advice

should have a new ISP in a few weeks, so hopefully will resolve my saga of broadband issues, which so far 3 BT (openreach) guys have failed:mad:. Roll on the day when we have FTTC (infinity) available

In the meantime - I'm going to give cachesense a go on my blackberry