PDA

View Full Version : Beta Maps

the38gardener
8th June 2011, 09:08 PM
Hi, Can anyone help with a problem that I am having regarding the new Beta maps. When I switch between the two styles I am frequently unable to bring up the cache sites on the new Beta map. As always, the sites are shown on the original maps but disappear when I switch. Is it an intermittent software fault or am I not doing something to make them show. The strange thing is that sometimes the sites show and sometimes they don't! Any advice will be appreciated.

martybartfast
8th June 2011, 09:57 PM
Hello, me again :),

As you know from the frog site I haven't had this problem and I don't know the answer but 2 questions, one maybe helpful the other maybe not:

1. When you go back to the Beta maps and some caches have disappeared, is it because they've somehow been deselected in the legends bar on the left? If so just select them again, even if not then have you tried deselecting that cache type and then selecting it again?

2. Why are you going back to the 'old' maps? It might be that what you're looking for in the old map is available on the Beta maps if you know where to look and if so you could avoid the problem by not using the old maps at all.

BTW I did a search of the frog site general forums and couldn't find a discussion about this problem but I'm sure there must be one somewhere 'cos I've seen several people complaining about it so it must be reasonably widespread.

Fermentum
9th June 2011, 10:31 AM
I had something similar the other day. All the caches are showing but could not be selected on the Beta maps. I have no idea why and switched back to the old maps for that day.

The problem for me seems to have gone away now.

Maybe a glitch? Maybe a software update going on at the time or something.

Bill D (wwh)
9th June 2011, 11:20 AM
There was a site update on gc.com today, in the early hours our time. Maybe that's sorted the problem - I hadn't seen the Beta maps before so I might be missing something, but they seem to be working normally for me.

the38gardener
9th June 2011, 07:27 PM
Hello, me again :),

As you know from the frog site I haven't had this problem and I don't know the answer but 2 questions, one maybe helpful the other maybe not:

1. When you go back to the Beta maps and some caches have disappeared, is it because they've somehow been deselected in the legends bar on the left? If so just select them again, even if not then have you tried deselecting that cache type and then selecting it again?

2. Why are you going back to the 'old' maps? It might be that what you're looking for in the old map is available on the Beta maps if you know where to look and if so you could avoid the problem by not using the old maps at all.

BTW I did a search of the frog site general forums and couldn't find a discussion about this problem but I'm sure there must be one somewhere 'cos I've seen several people complaining about it so it must be reasonably widespread.
Hi. Thanks for the info but I am still experiencing the problem. I use the old maps because that is the only way I can consistently view the cache sites. I am going on a three day expedition next week so would have like to use the Beta maps if at all possible

martybartfast
9th June 2011, 07:40 PM
Hi. Thanks for the info but I am still experiencing the problem. I use the old maps because that is the only way I can consistently view the cache sites. I am going on a three day expedition next week so would have like to use the Beta maps if at all possible

Ah, I had got the impression that the icons only disappeared after you had been viewing the old maps and then switch back to the Beta maps, in which case don't use the old maps and the problem wouldn't occur; however if you're getting missing icons on the Beta maps even if you haven't viewed the old maps then you don't have much option :(.

martybartfast
9th June 2011, 08:00 PM
From the release notes for todays upgrade:

• Fixed bug where Maps Beta would sometimes be out of sync with the filter options in the UI
&
• Fixed Maps Beta bug where viewing a location at close zoom in satellite view would cause cache icons to disappear

So your troubles could be over, give it a go and let us know how you get on!