PDA

View Full Version : Best way to relese a TB - where, how etc.

The Gaggle
17th July 2011, 02:38 PM
Hi all

After having a bit of bad luck with all the tb's I've released into the wild I though I'd ask if anyone has any advice on the best type of cache to put them in and when.

Are banks hols, weekends, weekdays better? Bounus caches which are less visited but more likely to be picked up by an experienced cacher?- I just want to increase my changes of getting a bit of movement.

PS I note a new cache laid by the Pirates of Penzance called I'll gotten gains (edited from thieving b*****ds) - might go for that one ;)

:cheers:

martybartfast
17th July 2011, 03:03 PM
I don't think it will make much difference because as soon as it's been picked up for the first time it's in the lap of the gods anyway and could end up in any cache anywhere.

Having said that I would think that if you want to increase the chances that it will be picked up by an experienced & genuine cacher then place it in a Premium Members only cache.

southwestvauxhalls
17th July 2011, 10:35 PM
It's complete pot luck mate. I set 3 trackables in the same cache at the same time. One was logged out and hasn't been logged since, on was removed without being logged and is now lost, and the last one has been properly logged and is currently making its was aound Surrey.

As said, a Premium Member cache would be the best place to start it, but then it's who picks it up once it lands in it's first normal cache.

I tend to move trackables to events, series bonus caches or puzzle caches as people who go to them tend to care a bit more. But again, it still doesn't stop it from being moved to any cache afterwards.

Mrs Blorenge
12th August 2011, 08:08 PM
As I wrote elsewhere...

It's a gamble, like sticking £5 into a slot machine - sooner or later you're going to lose it.

Whether it lasts for 10 miles, 100 miles or 10,000 miles is mostly down to luck and whether your TB lands up in the hands of cachers who know what they are and how to log them, or ends up in the bottom of the bag of someone who was taken out caching by a friend, was given a TB to log... but then loses interest and forgets all about it.

Yes, attaching some instructions will shift the odds a bit more in favor of extended life. Those who release TBs accept the odds and believe the potential interest and entertainment value outweighs the other risks.

It's still a gamble.

Are you still prepared to play? ;)

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/7_15_4.gif

The Gaggle
13th August 2011, 04:50 PM
Gamble!!!!! :)

Having some beter luck now:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?o=1&uid=c393dfb0-965c-47f7-90c6-3424e42d119c

:cheers:

LympstoneBogtrotters
18th August 2011, 09:52 PM
Hi!
Just been to visit your T/B home page - looks like some of your bugs are doin ok now:applause:
Your 'chips' TB is in the same cache as 'Matthew's Racing Car' which is headed to us:eek:
As well as all the great advice already on this thread, you could try attaching a mission card stating that the T/B is only to be ''grabbed'' ie passed from cacher to cacher. Can still be dipped and photographed at caches it is visiting, but places a social responsibility on the recipient as it has been personally recieved in good faith:)

Sven
26th August 2011, 11:48 AM
Had my first one go missing recently, it was only in its second cache :(

DrDick&Vick
26th August 2011, 02:38 PM
I can sympathise with you on this but don't give up on it.
I released one in Cornwall and after 2 moves it went missing on 13th Nov 10 but it suddenly made a reappearance on 31st May 11 when it was discovered in a cache only about 10 miles away. It is now back out and moving, after I drilled a small hole in it.