PDA

View Full Version : Feedback request

Tim and June
18th June 2003, 05:18 PM
The first poll on GAGB has been run, thanks to all those who voted.

Obviously, the majority have voted that we should add extra topics to this forum, but 17 people voted "No" and one voted "Other".

Because there might be very valid reasons for those votes, perhaps somebody should ask for those reasons in the hope that a some compromise or resolution can be found to satisfy both sides of the poll.

For example, if there is a fear that the possibility of trolls might be increased, we should find a way of dealing more effectively with them. Of course, some issues just cannot be resolved, but at least we should try.

Your feedback would be appreciated, after all, this is your association.

John Stead
18th June 2003, 06:27 PM
As one of the 17 negatives, I should explain that I did not have very strong feelings but was influenced by the proliferation of things to read. If I have understood correctly this forum is not intended to compete with Groundspeak's UK forum during the setting up period and therefore any matters of non-specific GAGB interest should be discussed there.
But I can see the point that if, as I hope, GAGB really takes off, our own forum will become the principal means of exchange in the UK. I don't think that would necessarily weaken Groundspeak. Certainly so far GAGB forums are more civilized.

The Bennett Family
18th June 2003, 07:53 PM
We too were one of the negatives, purely & simply because of the likelihood of trolls & flame wars. :angry:

Brenin Tegeingl
18th June 2003, 08:33 PM
I voted no, due to the fact that we allready have two open topic forums. GC.COM open to most topics appart from other sites, and GUK.COM which has a totally open forum. I just felt this forum should stay totally focused for now, but I have to say i'm very happy to run with the majority vote, and have no problems with the decesion(i just wish someone would creat a forum with a spellchecker for dunces like me :( )
Mancunian Pyrocacher, a very happy member :D :D :D

Motley Crew
18th June 2003, 10:10 PM
As another 'no' voter I felt that there are already other open forums available on GC.com and GCUK.com (as others have commented above). The GAGB forums have been constructive and friendly (thus far) and the worry that trolls and flaming could spoil things was also an issue when deciding which way to vote. It's early days now and I felt that it might be better to possibly open up the forums when GAGB has had some time to establish itsself by which time it will have (hopefully) grown in stature.

Having said this I'm very happy to accept the results of the poll. I also very much appreciate the fact that we have been asked to give our reasons for voting whichever way we did. Long may this type of discussion continue. :)

washboy
18th June 2003, 10:57 PM
I voted "No" for reasons mostly already mentioned by others:

We already have two UK-biased general forums courtesy of gc.com and g:uk. I had hoped the GAGB forums would, at least initially, be restricted to matters relating to the formation and development of GAGB and to other issues unique to the GAGB membership. Do we need yet another venue in which to congratulate eachother's x-hundredth cache find or to post Happy Birthday wishes?

One of the reasons that frank discussion of the rights/wrongs of caching was "difficult" on gc.com is that it is a totally public forum. You never know who might read (and perhaps misinterpret) an off-the-cuff comment - landowners, for example. I, for one, was frequently frustrated by having to self-censor my posts for fear of either letting a cat out of the bag or publishing a personal opinion which might negatively misrepresent other cachers in the eyes of the casual forum visitor. If the GAGB forums can provide "members only" forums, that will indeed be a step forward.

Team Paradise
19th June 2003, 01:00 AM
I also voted no. Nothing much to add as the good folks above have covered all of my reasoning.

Steve

SimonG
19th June 2003, 01:44 AM
I didn't vote. My gut feeling was 'No', for pretty much the reason others have given - I think there are other, more suitable places for off-topic chat. The reason I didn't vote is that I don't feel strongly enough to want to stop others from using this site in that way - heck, I'm sure I'll join in! :D

Wood Smoke
19th June 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Mancunian@Jun 18 2003, 07:33 PM
i just wish someone would creat a forum with a spellchecker for dunces like me :(

Hi Mancunian,

I use this

Hot Lingo (http://www.hotlingo.com/)

Have been for years :-)

I do a lot of form filling in, all you gotta remember is to right click before send :-)

WoodSmoke

Brenin Tegeingl
20th June 2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks for that Wood Smoke it looks like just what i need.
Mancunian

former spelling dunce :D

Pharisee
20th June 2003, 01:06 PM
I'm not much fussed either way. Looking at the topics currently in the 'General' forum, they seem to be just that... general. They're not all GAGB specific by any means. You only have to read through the threads on the other forums (hate 'fora') to realise that most of them stray way 'off-topic' at some point anyway. Unless the 'velvet glove' of the moderators becomes an 'iron fist', the forum here on GAGB will just grow and evolve in the way that the users well... just use it. Personally, I have no issue with that but I think that if it is closed to subjects other that those directly related to the GAGB then it will gradually die from lack of interest.

Chris and Mary B
23rd June 2003, 11:56 PM
I voted 'no' for 2 reasons:

1. Like others, I wouldn't want trolls/flames.

2. There's lots of other forums for all manner of chat. This one seems just about right- mostly on topic with a bit of chat, but not too much.

I'm not terribly bothered though- I won't be sulking either way :D

Chris n Maria
24th June 2003, 12:39 PM
I voted No for the same reason as Chris & Mary B but am also not bothered.

After all this forum has already added another window to close down when the boss walks past ;) So it don't make much difference to me.

Chris