PDA

View Full Version : Urban Cache problem,,

tsiolkovsky
13th September 2011, 08:40 AM
Hi,

Possibly this is the wrong place to ask this but I do feel something needs to be done and I am unsure what to do next.

I was out in Bristol yesterday (12/09/11) where I found this cache: GC2TDJQ

coord . info / GC2TDJQ

The container is a completely black box that just screams suspect package, even more so given it's location (at the base of a CCTV pole) and lack of exterior markings - such as a geocaching label. If I had a label with me I would have stuck one on it.

I contacted the CO who basically told me to mind my own business. Now I am unsure how to proceed as I can see this storing up trouble for the future for some unlucky so and so.

Tsiolkovsky

Bear and Ragged
13th September 2011, 09:23 PM
http://coord.info/GC2TDJQ

Caches in place prior to the Wetherby incident were considered to be 'Grandfathered' and not under the 'New' placement guidelines...

However, that doesn't make it 'Right' to leave such a package unmarked.

Maple Leaf
14th September 2011, 07:01 AM
Hi Tsiolkovsky

As Bear & Ragged said they are now grandfathered. I know you have been told to mind your own business, but hopefully by making the cache owner owner (and future readers of your log) aware of the Wetherby issue and the guidelines for urban caches, he will have a rethink and consider at least putting a sticker on the box.

tsiolkovsky
15th September 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am glad to see there is little more I can do.

One thing that does bother me is that whilst they have been grandfathered - how many CO are even aware of this? I am guessing very few indeed. So unless they are all physically removed then they will pose a clear threat to any cacher who isn't aware of the new GAGB rules.

But that is a wider debate and certainly not one for this Help and Advice forum.

Tsiolkovsky

keehotee
16th September 2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am glad to see there is little more I can do.

One thing that does bother me is that whilst they have been grandfathered - how many CO are even aware of this? I am guessing very few indeed. So unless they are all physically removed then they will pose a clear threat to any cacher who isn't aware of the new GAGB rules.

But that is a wider debate and certainly not one for this Help and Advice forum.

Tsiolkovsky

In fairness to the CO, as far as I know there are already thousands of caches out there in urban environments that do not comply with the new guideline, without having caused any major incidents over the past few years.

The Wetherby incident was unfortunate - but these things happen, and not just to geocaches.

The Bike Cacher
2nd January 2015, 10:22 AM
I carry about 20 laminated stash noted with me and place them in caches that need them