PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy Old man

Palujia
23rd September 2011, 03:16 PM
I presume it's just me but I'm getting more and more hacked off with having to look up "Text speak" or whatever each time I try and read something. Maybe its because I wouldn't know how to send a text if I tried (tried once and my fingers are too clumsy for the little buttons on the phone and it kept trying to type words I didn't want) I managed to find out what "LOL" was although I'm not sure why I would want to laugh out loud but it's getting worse OMG, and today I found AFK (I think it means Away from the keyboard - although not sure)That's it - I give in

martybartfast
23rd September 2011, 03:44 PM
I presume it's just me but I'm getting more and more hacked off with having to look up "Text speak" or whatever each time I try and read something. Maybe its because I wouldn't know how to send a text if I tried (tried once and my fingers are too clumsy for the little buttons on the phone and it kept trying to type words I didn't want) I managed to find out what "LOL" was although I'm not sure why I would want to laugh out loud but it's getting worse OMG, and today I found AFK (I think it means Away from the keyboard - although not sure)That's it - I give in

ROFL

IIRC Much of it, including LOL & AFK ( AFAIK you're right), predate texting by quite some time, and goes back to the early days of computer networking, so you've had 20/30/40 years to get used to this stuff - you should have learned it by now!

TTFN
BRB
:applause:

(edit to add a few more just to wind you up LMFAO )

Cornell Finch
23rd September 2011, 06:48 PM
Nope, it's not just you. TBH though, I have no problem with most of the acronyms (AFK is indeed away from keyboard).

What really pigs me off is when people use "ur" for "your" and single letters such as "R U" in forums, blogs and text messages. There's no need for it anywhere these days and it is (to me) just showing the laziness of the current yoof and their overhwelming desire to do everything using the path of least resistance.

I actually delete text messages that do not use proper English without replying. Either that or simply reply with "English please". That annoys some people but I don't care!

Bear and Ragged
23rd September 2011, 07:14 PM
What really pigs me off is when people use "ur" for "your" and single letters such as "R U" in forums, blogs and text messages. There's no need for it anywhere these days and it is (to me) just showing the laziness of the current yoof and their overhwelming desire to do everything using the path of least resistance.

Gr8 post!

I can accept bad spelling in a text, but using 8 and 2 REALLY bugs me.
eg Off 2 pub l8r, cu there 4 a pint? Cheers m8

Arrrggghhhh!!!!

:cheers:

*geocass*
23rd September 2011, 09:03 PM
I used to be quite bad with text speak many, many years ago back in the day. ;) However as I've grown a little older I find my texts only really include "ur" and "2" which is a waste anyway as I insist on putting apostrophies and other punctuation in my texts as it's just a crime to leave it out!

Just as I was getting better, I came back from my holiday last week only to find that BOTH of my parents (mid-50's) had bought iPads (While the cat's away!) Despite the fact that they now no longer talk to each other and just sit on the sofa playing games, I now get regular emails full of text speak that even I find difficult to understand!!! I think the oldies are the biggest culprits of text speak!!! :D Me and my brother have now taken to taking the micky and sending emails and texts to each other "in the style of dad" :lol:

Cass

DrDick&Vick
23rd September 2011, 09:42 PM
m8, y r u grmpy.

Cornell Finch
23rd September 2011, 09:46 PM
m8, y r u grmpy.

English please!

:D

DrDick&Vick
23rd September 2011, 09:48 PM
Cant see the reason for it these days especially with most contracts offering stupid amounts of free text messages and with modern phones having 'proper' on screen keyboards.

Palujia
24th September 2011, 10:35 AM
Mixed reaction there !! I only use this thing for caching - don't play games and only got one a couple of years ago when friends went on an on about sending e mails and not writing letters any more. Only use a mobile for the odd call and quick caching - Good old Richard (aka Dr Dick) set up the lap top for me as I really am computer illiterate. Don't wish to use my remaining few brain cells learning acronyms thanks so Harrrrumph to the lot of you !!

DrDick&Vick
24th September 2011, 10:55 AM
English please!

Y, lol & rofl
B Gd m8

Predictable Bob
13th November 2011, 07:14 PM
Dilligaf

;)

Palujia
13th November 2011, 07:27 PM
Hi Bob,
where you been ?? Not heard from you for some time and wot's a "Dilligaf"?

Predictable Bob
13th November 2011, 07:53 PM
Hi Paul,

Lgoing to uni we haven't had any time to do owt BUT it looks like things are settling down so we're back in the hunt !

Picked up three FTF's yesterday - would have been four but I had to be home for Jackie getting in from work.

And as for DILLIGAF - do a google on it ;)

Palujia
13th November 2011, 10:51 PM
Nice to see you back on the forum - we missed your "predictable"log entries !!

Bill D (wwh)
14th November 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi Paul,

And as for DILLIGAF - do a google on it ;)

:D :D :D

Palujia
14th November 2011, 02:39 PM
Yep, so did I, and strangely enough I do GAF! - let's get the strange period over and get back to being an organisation that does care about it

DrDick&Vick
15th November 2011, 05:21 PM
Dilligaf

;)

Blimey, hello Bob. How are you.
Nice to see you back on the forums again.

Palujia
16th November 2011, 01:18 AM
I thinks that this is where the "younger" element of the "Stick pokers" gets their ideas from me hearties. I dersant "text" anyway, me fingers are too thick for the little buttons on the phone thingee !! I perfer e mails as I learned to type at 60wpm when I bust me leg skiing and they put me in the communications centre whilst I recuperated !:D

Predictable Bob
16th November 2011, 09:50 PM

I've been working with computers for 30 years and I still type with one finger on each hand ...

:eek:

Palujia
16th November 2011, 11:52 PM
that many !

Predictable Bob
17th November 2011, 08:22 PM

Yeah - having seven hands is useful sometimes ...

:eek: