PDA

View Full Version : Magellan eXplorist 710/610/510 review for geocaching

Graculus
27th September 2011, 05:14 PM
I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a Magellan eXplorist 710 GPS and have been using it for about 3 weeks for geocaching. This series is newly launched in the UK and I've written a detailed review of the 710 with emphasis on geocaching to help people understand more about it and the features available.

The 710 is the same as the 610 and 510 but with some hardware differences (compass, camera etc) and pre-loaded maps available.

The review is a pdf document, to download it click here (http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/downloads/710review.pdf).

Chris

*geocass*
28th September 2011, 05:05 PM
Brilliant review, I'd been quite curious about the eXplorists. I had a play with the eXplorist GC, but being used to a touchscreen GPS wasn't too keen on the buttons. I'd heard that Magellan's customer support had once been dreadful, but that with their recent releases of the eXplorists they have really improved and are a worthy Garmin competitor. Looks like your review backs up the latter!

I particularly like the idea of this:

...you can copy your individual PQ files from the PC to them (caches and waypoints). Then using the Import and Export you can remove the current geocaches/waypoints from the Geocaches/Waypoints folder and replace them with geocaches/waypoints from one of the PQ folders.

And I thought the 12,000 my Montana holds was a lot. :eek: I can't believe Garmin didn't think of that!

Now... do I need yet another GPS? Hmmm... :p

halthornhill
28th September 2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the escellent review Chris
I purchased the GC when we started geocaching earlier in the year. It was the most affordable model for us.
Now we are becoming more established and have got to grips with the GC we are finding some niggles but to be honest for the price I really cannot complain.

It would be nice to have a touch screen as the little control knob is a little tedious sometimes. I certainly don't write logs using it - it would take forever.

It is great to be able to transfer files directly from pocket queries to the GC just by dragging and dropping them. I have looked at the Magellan software and GSAK and really don't have a need for them.

Maybe when I can afford the 700 series I will splash out.