PDA

View Full Version : How to get started ??

Allen G0CRB
29th September 2011, 09:09 AM
OK i typed in the search box "How to get started" results zero!....So you good people its over to you ..The wife and myself would like to take up this hobby and were wondering where do we get the info about what would be a good starter GPS.Any you would recommend ? and where do we get the info about where to start looking for the catches..I apologize if i have put this in the wrong place but i did do some searches on here without success..

Jacaru
29th September 2011, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the GAGB and wonderful world of geocaching.

Firstly, where abouts are you? There are some good local geocaching forums out there who will be able to give you local advise on caching. Let us know where you are and we can point you in the right direction.

A good starter GPS would be something like the Garmin Etrex series. A lot of people start off with this type before deciding whether the game is really for them or not. Alternatively there are some good apps available for the Smart Phones including the official geocaching app.

Phones are improving and many people have used them successfully for finding caches before moving up to a GPSr. However, should you wish to place a cache, and I wouldn't recommend doing that until you have a good number of finds under your belt, then you should use a proper GPS as they are much more accurate.

Ask away, there is usually someone around who can answer your questions.:)

DrDick&Vick
29th September 2011, 10:22 AM
A really good place to start looking is a website that has been created by one of the UK Reviewers. Click HERE (http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/default.shtml) to view it. SO much information there.

Slightly Tall Paul
29th September 2011, 10:26 AM
Hello Hog, Rider,

Welsome to the hobby.

I've been using a Garmin eTrex H for the last 2½ years and found 1134 caches and placed 13. It cost me £78 from Argos, but can be purchased less expensively elsewhere. I used the Garmin exclusively for the first 1½ years and for the last 12 months or so I've also been using a HTC Desire smartphone with c:geo app., the live map is very handy when travelling. I also have the official Groundspeak app but I do not rate it highly.

Before finding my first cache I read everything that I could on the Geocaching.com website, making sure that I knew how to recognise a trackable and how to log it.

Have fun!:)

Allen G0CRB
30th September 2011, 08:05 AM
Hi guys sorry i for got to mention my location is Henley in Arden in the Midlands,Approx 8 miles north of Stratford on Avon or 8 miles South of Birmingham.I will take any advice inc waiting until i can find hopefully loads of catches first before Even considering placing one....So all i have to do is go and buy a garmin etrex (( I don't have a M/P capable of apps lol ))then try to get the location of some starting points..Any info will be gratefully appreciated.

Jacaru
30th September 2011, 11:52 AM
The cheapest Garmin I have found at the moment is on Amazon, I will PM you a link.

Bear and Ragged
30th September 2011, 02:14 PM
Hi guys sorry i for got to mention my location is Henley in Arden in the Midlands,Approx 8 miles north of Stratford on Avon or 8 miles South of Birmingham.I will take any advice inc waiting until i can find hopefully loads of catches first before Even considering placing one....So all i have to do is go and buy a garmin etrex (( I don't have a M/P capable of apps lol ))then try to get the location of some starting points..Any info will be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome!

West Midlands cachers also hang out at wmcaching.co.uk/

A chance to meet local cachers would be an event, local is:
http://coord.info/GC333YT
Meet, Pie -An Event cache by Steve-e-b and Mini Marina

Saturday 8th October 2011
12 pm
Fleur de Lys pub in Lowsonford
(famous for its pies)

Allen G0CRB
1st October 2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info about the meet,The wife and myself will look forward to attending the Pub meet at Lowsonford,( I could nearly walk across the field at the back of my house) LOL.It would be interesting to have a look at what GPSr that some of you use..Hope fully see you there.