PDA

View Full Version : cheapest "step up"

frosty68
1st November 2011, 06:01 PM
I think having my phone in a case with a magnetic closure might have stuffed the magnetometer, it needs recalibrating way too often.
So, I might find a solution to that (changing the phone software) but, in case I don't manage, what's the cheapest, easy handheld gps that i can use in conjunction with it? phone can provide "paperless" options, the handheld can do the pointy bit (and probably work when there's still a leaf on an overhead branch). Ideally something I can just download loads of caches to and which is idiot proof (and i am an idiot :D )...and really, really cheap

edit - typically as soon as I post I see the info i'm looking for, garmin etrex h or etrex legend (can't see a H on ebay listed ones), anything cheaper? :)
..or anyone got one sat in a drawer doing nothing that they'd perhaps turn into a bit of cash? probably not the etrex h as it doesn't have usb for getting data to it from a pc

Never one to stop reading, just noticed this on follow the arrow "All GPS units have a compass. The basic models have a GPS compass that uses the satellite signal to indicate your direction. You have to be moving for the compass needle to point correctly." , i wonder if I'm not giving the phone a change, i tend to stop, unlock the phone and curse the "faulty" compass as I look for a direction....but maybe the compass isn't really a compass, and i need to walk to get it working correctly? I guess i'll try tomorrow. Tried for one toady, got within a few yards of it and couldn't narrow it down (though apparently it is very well hidden in the town centre), maybe if I'd walked 50ft away from it, and then purposefully towards it I'd have had more luck? no idea how I've managed 41 so far :D

DrDick&Vick
1st November 2011, 07:01 PM
There is a Legend H HERE (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-H-Outdoor-Hiking-Walking-GPS-Receiver-/260855605058?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_G PSSystems&hash=item3cbc34a742), not sure what your budget is though.

Might be worth a look at a GPSMap 60 or 6Cs, although they are not labelled an H antenna the small spiral wound aerial makes the world of a difference. My old 60Cx held the signal under tree cover as well or even better than my Oregon that was classified as an H reciever.

frosty68
1st November 2011, 07:08 PM
budget is about half that (around £50), I'm not only a tight northerner, I also have a wife and kids that would kill me for spending a hundred quid..but would forgive me £50....eventually :D
got a few of those in my ebay watch list, can only hope :)

Bear and Ragged
1st November 2011, 07:13 PM
You have to be moving for the compass needle to point correctly." , i wonder if I'm not giving the phone a change, i tend to stop, unlock the phone and curse the "faulty" compass as I look for a direction....but maybe the compass isn't really a compass, and i need to walk to get it working correctly? I guess i'll try tomorrow. Tried for one toady, got within a few yards of it and couldn't narrow it down (though apparently it is very well hidden in the town centre), maybe if I'd walked 50ft away from it, and then purposefully towards it I'd have had more luck? no idea how I've managed 41 so far :D

What I do is: as you approach the cache, look at the GPS/phone and look at where the arrow points. As you get closer the arrow may start to swing round.

If it stays pointing the same direction look at where it's pointing, is there a likely looking hiding place? Often possible cache hiding places can be seen well before the distance gets below 20 feet.

At 20 feet to go, you should be looking for the cache and not looking at the arrow. GPS/phone accuracy is only to about 15 to 20 feet anyway!

If the arrow swings around, I usually walk past with a wide-ish berth and see where the arrow points...

But. Keep moving!

border caz
2nd November 2011, 11:07 AM
If you go for the yellow Etrex make sure that it is an H - I bought one from e-bay described as an H but when it came it was the old one - luckily the seller refunded my money. The big disadvantage with them is that you need to buy the lead for connecting to the PC separately, which bungs the price up.

I use a Legend and it's great, can download up to 1,000 waypoints on to it. But you do have to keep walking if following the compass!

frosty68
2nd November 2011, 11:35 AM
i guess i need to hope for a cheap legend :)

martybartfast
2nd November 2011, 01:12 PM
Get a bluetooth GPS (can be had for under about £10 IIRC), and hook it up to your phone, keep the GPS part in your pocket/backpack/stuck to the top of your head.

job done.

frosty68
2nd November 2011, 04:12 PM
grabbed a cache today with no problems, it seems hoping it would just "work" while stationary was my problem, I'd assumed the compass on the phone used the magnetometer, and it doesn't. Once that assumption was corrected everything seems good :D

DrDick&Vick
2nd November 2011, 05:45 PM
I would still go along with the suggestion about a Bluetooth unit, save hammering the phone battery life and will be much more accurate as they use Sirf III chipsets.